or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion - Page 142

post #2116 of 2388
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

You do see that Hamilton is turning the steering wheel, yes? This is the difference that I and others have highlighted to you repeatedly. You can dismiss the importance of this factor, but at least acknowledge it.

Acknowledged. I'll stick with my view that if you have a line into a corner where you feel you can get ahead of the other driver then you take it, otherwise like Senna said "you are no longer a racing driver", and the same goes for governance, these penalties mean you are no longer a racing sport.
post #2117 of 2388
which Senna instances are you referring to? If you're talking about Suzuka first corner, start incident with Prost, I bet under today's rules and today's ability to see all the data easily, the stewards would have penalized Senna. I think they would have penalized Prost for the Suzuka chicane incident too.
post #2118 of 2388
idfnl, do you race cars? If so, is this your approach on-track? I can't think of any sanctioning body which would be okay with The Rosberg™, not even NASCAR.
post #2119 of 2388
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

idfnl, do you race cars? If so, is this your approach on-track? I can't think of any sanctioning body which would be okay with The Rosberg™, not even NASCAR.

Carts, but not at a serious level, and no longer.

5 or 6 passes happens in any given DTM race that would trigger a penalty in a GP, including said Rosberg - I see it regularly. It's not the difference between closed and open wheel, it's that hard nosed racing is still valued in DTM. Generally, you only see a DTM penalty is when a guy is physically pushed off the track by another car. Nascar is irrelevant because ovals don't have the kind of corners where it would happen. Even in Formula E guys pinch each other off.

I know DTM is not a perfect comparison, but you also have to acknowledge that things have gotten too strict in F1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post

which Senna instances are you referring to? If you're talking about Suzuka first corner, start incident with Prost, I bet under today's rules and today's ability to see all the data easily, the stewards would have penalized Senna. I think they would have penalized Prost for the Suzuka chicane incident too.

That quote came from an interview with J Stewart after the Japanese GP turn 1 incident. But I am talking about Senna's passing style in general. Piquet was also hard nosed in this way.

Prost would be a perfect F1 driver in 2016 since he was a car manager and never took a risk, exactly what it seems like F1 wants.
post #2120 of 2388
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

That quote came from an interview with J Stewart after the Japanese GP turn 1 incident. But I am talking about Senna's passing style in general. Piquet was also hard nosed in this way.

Senna definitely would get a penalty today if he did the same Suzuka turn 1 move. I don't think in general Senna really made any Rosberg passes though. I agree there should not be any penalties for these passes whether it be Hamilton or Rosberg, because that is part of racing, but since the rule is already there it has to be followed.
post #2121 of 2388
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post

Senna definitely would get a penalty today if he did the same Suzuka turn 1 move. I don't think in general Senna really made any Rosberg passes though. I agree there should not be any penalties for these passes whether it be Hamilton or Rosberg, because that is part of racing, but since the rule is already there it has to be followed.

Hamilton has... Hockenheim 2014. Same corner.... no penalty. The rule isn't followed, it's arbitrarily tossed around. To me, that's a great piece of passing, but letter of the law, it's a penalty.





No time to dig up video, but I recall one pass in particular in the era Senna had the slow McLaren that he really hung a guy out to get by. Might have been Portugal.
post #2122 of 2388
Obvious differences with the Hamilton clip:

They're three wide
He locks up
He turns the wheel as soon as he can
He doesn't try to push the other guy off the track

That's racing at the limit, and not at all what Rosberg has done in these two incidents.
post #2123 of 2388
Completely different from Rosberg. That's just a little lock up and understeering into the car on the outside which happens very often in passing. He's still somewhat on the racing line and doesn't run anyone off the track on entry or exit.
post #2124 of 2388
No use arguing with idfnl about Lewis Hamilton. He dogs him just about every chance he gets.
post #2125 of 2388
I thought his disdain was for Lewis' social media presence, but you may be right.
post #2126 of 2388
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

I thought his disdain was for Lewis' social media presence, but you may be right.

It's bleeding over to his actual racing now.
post #2127 of 2388
Thread Starter 
Not at all, in fact I complimented the pass and just recently mentioned that perhaps he got his social life under a bit more control and was more focused on his work.

It just happens that he's the center of attention. The focus of my complaint are rules being applied arbitrarily for similar situations, not that Lewis gets away with penalties that Nico doesn't.
post #2128 of 2388
Rosberg did technically run Hamilton off the track in Spain and got away with it.
post #2129 of 2388
Tru dat
post #2130 of 2388
F1 finally back on this weekend. Only drama left for the season is when Lewis is going to take his grid penalties and will he still beat Nico for the WDC.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion