or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion - Page 118

post #1756 of 2329
Hamilton has won 2 world championships for Mercedes, beat Nico every year in the standings they've been together, and just signed a 3 year extension with big $. Nico hasn't won a championship and his contract is up at the end of next year. I'd say the odds don't look good for Nico then unless he can win the championship next year.
post #1757 of 2329
Sounds like Mercedes gifted the sport [again] with talking points for the off season. Nonetheless, Nico is out of contract for 2017 so he needs to up his game. Mercedes certainly won't drop hamilton. Not to mention it might be a signal to Lewis to focus as Verstappen (who I've read Mercedes and Ferrari are looking at for 2017] could come into the frame. I don't see a problem here.
post #1758 of 2329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffrey View Post

Sounds like Mercedes gifted the sport [again] with talking points for the off season. Nonetheless, Nico is out of contract for 2017 so he needs to up his game. Mercedes certainly won't drop hamilton. Not to mention it might be a signal to Lewis to focus as Verstappen (who I've read Mercedes and Ferrari are looking at for 2017] could come into the frame. I don't see a problem here.

Verstappen was one of the few highlights of the season.
post #1759 of 2329
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by horndog View Post

Verstappen was one of the few highlights of the season.

I think there were so few highlights of the season that Verstappen looked more of a highlight than he might be. The kid is a good driver, and made some nice passes, but many other guys made a splash in their first season only to become marginalized. He lost the quali battle against his teammate, and scored more points. Not exactly dominance.
post #1760 of 2329
His teammate is also very good. Very unlucky with unreliability.
post #1761 of 2329
Unless Merc has a performance clause for Hamilton (which would be a huge own-goal for Hamilton if he signed such a deal), I'm not really sure what Wolff gains by talking about this.
post #1762 of 2329
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Unless Merc has a performance clause for Hamilton (which would be a huge own-goal for Hamilton if he signed such a deal), I'm not really sure what Wolff gains by talking about this.

I wouldn't be surprised if it has more to do with this:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/formulaone/article4633930.ece

Unfortunately its paywall, but you can guess what the rest is about. His antics are probably behind his late season dip in form, not this phantom change to the car.

Merc has an image it wants to uphold, and a driver in it's #1 car, drunk with a champagne bottle and a bunch of rappers is not exactly it. My concern for Lewis is he's gotten into something, and if so the team is likely aware and are putting together an exit path. Remember he left McLaren because he felt too constrained, and you can now see what that constraint was.
post #1763 of 2329
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if it has more to do with this:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/formulaone/article4633930.ece

Unfortunately its paywall, but you can guess what the rest is about. His antics are probably behind his late season dip in form, not this phantom change to the car.

Merc has an image it wants to uphold, and a driver in it's #1 car, drunk with a champagne bottle and a bunch of rappers is not exactly it. My concern for Lewis is he's gotten into something, and if so the team is likely aware and are putting together an exit path. Remember he left McLaren because he felt too constrained, and you can now see what that constraint was.

Mercedes had to have known that when they signed him. It was no secret from his McLaren debut season onwards. If Ron Dennis put up with his partying, considering how tight a ship he runs, then I don't see it being an issue at Mercedes, especially coming off back to back championships. Doubt Wolff cares unless it affects him negatively come Sunday.
post #1764 of 2329
I don't think Wolff cares if Lewis comes in 2nd as long as Nico comes in first or vice versa. Only thing Wolff would really care about is Mercedes AMG Petronas finishing 1 and 2.
Edited by Texasmade - 12/7/15 at 3:39pm
post #1765 of 2329
I think Mercedes is more than happy to have a brand ambassador who can relate to that demographic.
post #1766 of 2329
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

Mercedes had to have known that when they signed him. It was no secret from his McLaren debut season onwards. If Ron Dennis put up with his partying, considering how tight a ship he runs, then I don't see it being an issue at Mercedes, especially coming off back to back championships. Doubt Wolff cares unless it affects him negatively come Sunday.

This Lewis the playboy shit started after McLaren, at least in it's very unattractive current incarnation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

I think Mercedes is more than happy to have a brand ambassador who can relate to that demographic.

You'd be very wrong. Burberry, MCM and a host of other brands have never recovered from it. Lots of market research out there on the topic. No luxury brands wants the hip hop crowd wearing their stuff.

You better believe his associations are on the minds of Merc brass. Why do you think the recent conversation is focused on him. A 2x WC in a row? It has to be serious.
post #1767 of 2329
Hip-hop folks have been buying and flaunting Mercedes since the '80s. Cars aren't bullshit raincoats. Car companies eagerly place their vehicles with all kinds of celebrities, from footballers to starlets to rappers. Mercedes is strongly associated with dictators, too, and it doesn't seem to have hurt the brand.

As for Lewis, he has had the same associations since his McLaren days, but he didn't have the strong social media presence at the time. The ability to do stuff like this was part of the move away from McLaren. If Merc didn't know who he was, they weren't paying attention.
post #1768 of 2329
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Hip-hop folks have been buying and flaunting Mercedes since the '80s. Cars aren't bullshit raincoats. Car companies eagerly place their vehicles with all kinds of celebrities, from footballers to starlets to rappers. Mercedes is strongly associated with dictators, too, and it doesn't seem to have hurt the brand.

As for Lewis, he has had the same associations since his McLaren days, but he didn't have the strong social media presence at the time. The ability to do stuff like this was part of the move away from McLaren. If Merc didn't know who he was, they weren't paying attention.

Ok, then you tell me why he's the one targeted for replacement? Too good at racing cars? If the association, as you say, is beneficial, then why not look to replace 'boring', 'well-bred', 2nd place Nico? Seems crazy that he's labelled the problem, you must agree?

If none of these angles are correct, then we're left with less appetizing possibilities like LH having a dependence. Note the Mavericks dumped Lamar Odom more than a year before anything became public. These things happen.
post #1769 of 2329
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

This Lewis the playboy shit started after McLaren, at least in it's very unattractive current incarnation.
You'd be very wrong. Burberry, MCM and a host of other brands have never recovered from it. Lots of market research out there on the topic. No luxury brands wants the hip hop crowd wearing their stuff.

You better believe his associations are on the minds of Merc brass. Why do you think the recent conversation is focused on him. A 2x WC in a row? It has to be serious.

He was driving a MB G with 22" wheels and partying with his various GFs even during his McLaren days. It might be more amplified and he's certainly not Alonso, Vettel, Button, the two Icemen, Schumi, etc. in how he handles his private life, but I don't think how he's acting now is much more different than he has in the past - at least directionally.
post #1770 of 2329
Ron Dennis has been warning about Hamilton's lifestyle for some time now. Here's a recent article I found just now, but I remember hearing/seeing someplace months ago as well:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/nov/26/mclaren-lewis-hamilton-ron-dennis
Quote:
The CEO and chairman of the McLaren Group, who has described himself as being like a “surrogate father” to the three-times world champion, went on to say: “If he was at McLaren he wouldn’t be behaving the way he is because he wouldn’t be allowed to … He’s shaking off some chains he didn’t want to have.”....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion