or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Current Quality of Church's Shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Current Quality of Church's Shoes - Page 2

post #16 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonC View Post
I think we have a better time of things here in England. The ill-informed can still be over-charged for a pair of corrected grain Church's shoes, but having owned a number of pairs of shoes from both manufacturers, the two can be comparable in quality at the same price, as long as you choose carefully.

Certainly looking in the Regent Street store last week, they had a good selection of shoes at a reasonable price. And even here C&J can be harder to find.

+1

Also Church also sells 1/2 lined Italian made shoes with very Italian looking last for the same price as their main line. For the ill-informed, they're just paying for the name.
post #17 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKTenor View Post

I wouldn't put them below C&J, although they are a slightly different taste. Quality is definitely not anywhere near EG, but neither is the price. I do think they are better made than Loakes or Cheaney, but perhaps not enough to justify the price premium for some.

The Royal Collection, which retails at £430 is very close to Edward Green quality, the only shame is that they have four models (there could still be a monk model available, making it five models).

In addition, if you order two or more Royal Collection MTO shoes, the up-charge for MTO is only £3.50 per pair of shoes.
post #18 of 90
anyway of knowing if these are calf or not?

post #19 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macallan View Post
The Royal Collection, which retails at £430 is very close to Edward Green quality, the only shame is that they have four models (there could still be a monk model available, making it five models).

In addition, if you order two or more Royal Collection MTO shoes, the up-charge for MTO is only £3.50 per pair of shoes.

They also offer a single brogued monk strap called "John" and two double monk straps: a plain vamped one called "George" and a brogued toed one called "Harry". They also offer a chelsea boot. I did ask Church's whether they offered others and they could not tell me because their catalogue is incomplete and their computor system doesn't allow such searches!!

The Royals collection is now discontinued but as with all Church's back catalogue they will , I would think, be still available as an MTO.
post #20 of 90
I'd like to revive this thread to say that I picked up a pair of Church's 'Custom Grade' Chetwynds on last 173 recently, and leather-quality wise these guys are on-par with my C&J handgrades. These are post-Prada shoes. Alas, if only they had channeled soles! (photos shamelessly stolen, but same shoe, same colour, same size)
post #21 of 90
Several months ago I bought a pair of Church's black cap toes off the 'Bay, and have been very impressed with their quality. They not only have very good leather but are some of the most comfortable shoes I have.
post #22 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos View Post
I'd like to revive this thread to say that I picked up a pair of Church's 'Custom Grade' Chetwynds on last 173 recently, and leather-quality wise these guys are on-par with my C&J handgrades. These are post-Prada shoes.

Alas, if only they had channeled soles!




(photos shamelessly stolen, but same shoe, same colour, same size)


I am wearing an identical pair at this very moment. Really good shoes IMHO
post #23 of 90
I just acquired a these black "Sheldon" cap toe oxfords for my wedding.


post #24 of 90
^ Those are pretty nice looking, LD. Has the date been set?!
post #25 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaogou View Post
^ Those are pretty nice looking, LD. Has the date been set?!

Thursday, June 3rd in Sedona, Arizona, B!
post #26 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos View Post


(photos shamelessly stolen, but same shoe, same colour, same size)

the irregularity of that stitching would irk me

though some of my C&J exhibit the same characteristic
post #27 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ld111134 View Post
I just acquired a these black "Sheldon" cap toe oxfords for my wedding.



Absolutely love mine... Great pick up.
post #28 of 90
I like the quality of the shoes, but I buy Church's shoes because of the service...

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...stomer+service
post #29 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos View Post
I'd like to revive this thread to say that I picked up a pair of Church's 'Custom Grade' Chetwynds on last 173 recently, and leather-quality wise these guys are on-par with my C&J handgrades. These are post-Prada shoes.

Alas, if only they had channeled soles!




(photos shamelessly stolen, but same shoe, same colour, same size)

Absolutely love those! I have the same model on same last in burgundy, walnut and tabacco. The irregular stiching on the sole is unfortunate but I've seen worse and more often on C&J benchgrades.

Whilst I don't see how anybody could gain-say Church's custom grade in full grain leather I am unhappy that they have discontinued the Royals range. I think the last needed up dating but they should have kept the quality going. The new range that is seen to replace them is nice but not the quality of the Royals.
post #30 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leather man View Post
I am unhappy that they have discontinued the Royals range.

I suppose, their replacement is the 'Shanghai range':

http://www.selectism.com/news/2009/1...nghai-reissue/

http://www.elitetraveler.com/product...-shanghai-shoe

All Church's stores seem to be filled with those. I have a feeling, they are not moving too well.

Quel surprise!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Current Quality of Church's Shoes