or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Do you wear an undershirt? Why?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you wear an undershirt? Why? - Page 15

Poll Results: Do you wear an undershirt?

 
  • 65% (219)
    Yes
  • 34% (114)
    No
333 Total Votes  
post #211 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojt View Post

 

pretty much the same when it's cold in the office I wear a thin wifebeater provided its outline is 100% invisible under the shirt ofc

 

visible undershirt is the ugliest thing ever, right there with squared toe shoes

I am the opposite.  I counter-intuitively wear an undershirt on hot days because i sweat like a bastard and i prefer not to have it show through my dress shirt.  

post #212 of 222
At the end of the day, it's a matter of preference and climate. Personally, I avoid undershirt whereever possible, and so do many elegant gentlemen including G. Bruce Boyer
post #213 of 222
Exactly, it's a matter of personal preference and climate. Therefore, who cares what anyone, including G. Bruce Boyer, says?
post #214 of 222

I'm fairly skinny so when the cold weather kicks in I wear a funky bod undershirt cause its very discreet and at the same time it adds muscle size as it has integrated chest and arm muscle padding.

post #215 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by asher View Post

I'm fairly skinny so when the cold weather kicks in I wear a funky bod undershirt cause its very discreet and at the same time it adds muscle size as it has integrated chest and arm muscle padding.

post #216 of 222
Lived abroad for 15 years and slowly got over my American conditioning of wearing undershirts. Women outside of the US do not find them sexy ... just the opposite and I was told so. Now that I am back here I noticed all the undershirts: I see them under dress shirts with an open collar, under polo shirts and even under T-shirts. What is up with that? Does it look *gay* not to wear one and expose one's chest just a little? Well, I see gay men wearing undershirts all the time. I think it comes down to this: in other parts of the world a well-dressed man is just that - a well-dressed man. Only in the States would a well-dressed man be thought of as gay ...
post #217 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayumochi View Post

Lived abroad for 15 years and slowly got over my American conditioning of wearing undershirts. Women outside of the US do not find them sexy ... just the opposite and I was told so. Now that I am back here I noticed all the undershirts: I see them under dress shirts with an open collar, under polo shirts and even under T-shirts. What is up with that? Does it look *gay* not to wear one and expose one's chest just a little? Well, I see gay men wearing undershirts all the time. I think it comes down to this: in other parts of the world a well-dressed man is just that - a well-dressed man. Only in the States would a well-dressed man be thought of as gay ...
Why would anyone think an undershirt was sexxy? I don't think anyone here in the US does. I only wear v-neck undershirts and you can usually only see them through my dress shirts if they are thin. I wear them out of utility rather than them being fashionable.
post #218 of 222
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post


On anther note, a t-shirt peeking out from the neck of a collared shirt is UGLY. If you're not going to button up, then don't wear a t-shirt.

i remember at my previous job, some of the finer looking women told me that they didnt mind the undershirt peeking from underneath. instead, some even thought it was a nice contrast. I was gone from that job the following month
post #219 of 222

Who makes the best undershirts?

- Cost no object / any price

- Light grey / don't show under the shirt

- High quality

- V neck i.e I want to open the top button on my shirt and the undershirt should not be visible

post #220 of 222

I wear a shirt and tie to work most days and have a commute that involves riding my bike for a mile uphill in the morning heat and humidity, getting on a stuffy, crowded DC Metro train, and then walking the rest of the way in. Plus, before I go to work, I run in the morning, and even if I allow myself an hour to cool down after I shower, my sweat switch has been flipped and it doesn't stop. A discreet, plain, white v-neck undershirt keeps the sweat from literally soaking through my dress shirt and making me arrive at the office looking as if I've jumped into a swimming pool with all my clothes on. I manage to dry off quickly in the cool air conditioned space of my workplace but before that happens, I manage to look presentable and feel better. An undershirt also makes me feel cooler despite the extra layer. Go figure. I don't give a crap about nipples or chest hair showing through my shirt - it's the sweat that bugs me.

post #221 of 222
^ Congrats on resurrecting a thread that had been dead for 9 months or so for your first post on SF.
post #222 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

^ Congrats on resurrecting a thread that had been dead for 9 months or so for your first post on SF.

Probably came from the recent Slate article.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Do you wear an undershirt? Why?