or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › My Ham Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Ham Thread - Page 3

post #31 of 82
I thought this was going to be about radios. confused.gif
post #32 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEK View Post

99% sure this is correct.
Yeah, you guys are right.
Jamón Ibérico/Jamón de Pata Negra seems to have three quality grades:
de Pienso (Cebo?): Grain-fed
de Recebo: fed with up to 30% belotta/acorns in the end of the breeding ("finishing")
de Belotta: At least 75% of the pigs have to be of the Ibérico-breed, >40% of their live weight through eating acorns and herbs plus free-range.

At least that's what German wiki says. Can't completely understand the Spain wiki, but I think the above grading is mostly correct, however some numbers and details might not be definite.
post #33 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I thought this was going to be about radios. confused.gif

My dad is big into ham radio.

Side note: If I buy a house, I think I will ask for a good ham like this for a housewarming present. SFers can chip in to buy me one. Get 100 of you giving 7 bucks and I will be set.
post #34 of 82
Did you steal that avatar? I'm sure I've seen it before on here?!
post #35 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1os View Post

Did you steal that avatar? I'm sure I've seen it before on here?!

Nope. No stealing, no one has ever had this before. Why do you ask? confused.gif
post #36 of 82
Haha, I love the title of this thread. "MY Ham Thread".
post #37 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post

Nope. No stealing, no one has ever had this before. Why do you ask? confused.gif
Replace steal with "steal".^^
Never mind though, I just thought I had seen that one yesterday or so on the forum on another user.
B2T now, don't want to get reported for off-topic! (Does this already count as trying to moderate the discussion?.. well, fuck.)
post #38 of 82
Matt, where are you getting your ham here in San Fran? Have you talked to Roger at Say Cheeses or Charles at 24th Street Cheese? They both should give you good advice. The non bellota jamon iberico at 24 Street Cheese is the best ham I ever have had, but it's not like I'm some expert by any stretch of the imagination.
post #39 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

Matt, where are you getting your ham here in San Fran? Have you talked to Roger at Say Cheeses or Charles at 24th Street Cheese? They both should give you good advice. The non bellota jamon iberico at 24 Street Cheese is the best ham I ever have had, but it's not like I'm some expert by any stretch of the imagination.

I ended up getting, well ordering and waiting for, a non-bellota Iberico from the Spanish Table in Berkeley. I am also taking Douglas' advice and getting a slightly sturdier ham holder. Hopefully all works out well. If it does, I might be able to send all of my pants back for the 5 cm shuffle.
post #40 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post

I ended up getting, well ordering and waiting for, a non-bellota Iberico from the Spanish Table in Berkeley. I am also taking Douglas' advice and getting a slightly sturdier ham holder. Hopefully all works out well. If it does, I might be able to send all of my pants back for the 5 cm shuffle.

Never heard of that place. Enjoy your jamon!
post #41 of 82
i don't think jamon is BETTER than prosciutto, but they are different. and the various prosciutti are different, too. in general, prosciutto is silkier and more buttery. this is particularly true of parma. san daniele is a deeper red, a little drier and i think a slightly sweeter finish. spanish hams tend to be drier still with a deeper porkier funk (in all the best possible ways). i don't know nearly as much about them as i do prosciutto, but my friend and colleague Janet Mendel does (she lives in Spain and writes cookbooks).
post #42 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post

i don't think jamon is BETTER than prosciutto, but they are different. and the various prosciutti are different, too. in general, prosciutto is silkier and more buttery. this is particularly true of parma. san daniele is a deeper red, a little drier and i think a slightly sweeter finish. spanish hams tend to be drier still with a deeper porkier funk (in all the best possible ways). i don't know nearly as much about them as i do prosciutto, but my friend and colleague Janet Mendel does (she lives in Spain and writes cookbooks).

The butteriness of really good prosciutto is one of the reasons I thought it wouldn't work for me. Since we are two, we are going to have to eat it pretty often to get through, along with having friends over, and the richness of good Parma would make that tougher than the nuttier Spanish meat. I hope to do this often, though, and to try hams from Italy, Spain and also some of our really good smoked hams.
post #43 of 82
they'realso good for cooking, remember. you can use up quite a bit that way.
post #44 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post

The butteriness of really good prosciutto is one of the reasons I thought it wouldn't work for me. Since we are two, we are going to have to eat it pretty often to get through, along with having friends over, and the richness of good Parma would make that tougher than the nuttier Spanish meat. I hope to do this often, though, and to try hams from Italy, Spain and also some of our really good smoked hams.

Do you think you will still be looking for help in this endeavor come mid-March or so?
post #45 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post

Do you think you will still be looking for help in this endeavor come mid-March or so?

If we are through it by then, I can guarantee we will have another.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › My Ham Thread