or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Home Ownership Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Home Ownership Thread - Page 333

post #4981 of 6367
I am planning to do a renovation and I am trying to decide if I should have an architect do detailed drawings and supervise the contractor. I have a pretty good idea of the look I am going for but I don't know much about the construction itself. I am not moving any walls but I am redoing the electrics and adding Ethernet in several rooms. The architect would probably add around 15-20% of the cost of renovation. Have any of you used architects for the renovations and do you think they are worth the added cost?
post #4982 of 6367
Have an architect install your Ethernet and redo electrics is always a bad idea.
post #4983 of 6367
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

That just means you didn't negotiate hard enough.

rolleyes.gif
post #4984 of 6367
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

I am planning to do a renovation and I am trying to decide if I should have an architect do detailed drawings and supervise the contractor. I have a pretty good idea of the look I am going for but I don't know much about the construction itself. I am not moving any walls but I am redoing the electrics and adding Ethernet in several rooms. The architect would probably add around 15-20% of the cost of renovation. Have any of you used architects for the renovations and do you think they are worth the added cost?


If you're not doing a drastic over haul to the house I'd say no.
post #4985 of 6367
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

I am planning to do a renovation and I am trying to decide if I should have an architect do detailed drawings and supervise the contractor. I have a pretty good idea of the look I am going for but I don't know much about the construction itself. I am not moving any walls but I am redoing the electrics and adding Ethernet in several rooms. The architect would probably add around 15-20% of the cost of renovation. Have any of you used architects for the renovations and do you think they are worth the added cost?

As far as Ethernet just has a local A/V company in to pull the cable. Also get yourself wired for speakers throughout the house by them at the same time and have them pull HDMI cables. Get all your equipment, such as NAS, cable modem/routers, DVD player, audio sources centralized in one location.
post #4986 of 6367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

It's on like Donkey Kong! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

All my negotiation points were met including removing the clauses from the contract that I requested.

So when are you inviting us all over?

I can't wait to pass out on a piobchair
post #4987 of 6367

Can we swim naked in the pool?

post #4988 of 6367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbernine View Post

Can we swim naked in the pool?

That will cost extra.
post #4989 of 6367
The piob is rocking this. A rented place (like I'm in) just isn't the same.
post #4990 of 6367
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

So when are you inviting us all over?

I can't wait to pass out on a piobchair

LoL, I read that as "can't wait to piss on a Piochair." And, I mean, who wouldn't?
post #4991 of 6367
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post

LoL, I read that as "can't wait to piss on a Piochair." And, I mean, who wouldn't?

You're sweet.
post #4992 of 6367
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsuperb View Post

If you're not doing a drastic over haul to the house I'd say no.

I should add that it is an apartment in a prewar building with all sorts of rules. I have to have an architect submit basic plans for board approval but I am wondering if I should hire them for full design service. decisions.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

As far as Ethernet just has a local A/V company in to pull the cable. Also get yourself wired for speakers throughout the house by them at the same time and have them pull HDMI cables. Get all your equipment, such as NAS, cable modem/routers, DVD player, audio sources centralized in one location.

The walls are all plaster and all walls must be closed with plaster. The current electrical system is from the 1950s and I will have to break through the plaster walls to get to them. So I think it is best to get it done all in one shot.

BTW, I was thinking of getting a Magnepan 1.7i and wiring this place up for it. The audio store recommends a McIntosh DAC amp that is $4500. I hear that McIntosh makes great amps but are there cheaper options? What do you run?The audio guy tells me that while there are cheaper options, the McIntosh is the way to go. There are better alternatives that are far more expensive.
post #4993 of 6367

Just got the plans for the kitchen cabinets and would appreciate any thoughts anyone might have.  A few things are missing from the drawing.  The fridge will go on the top right.  Sink is in the cabinet between the dishwasher on top left, and the stove.  And french doors will be on the left wall.   

 

I'm wondering if the island should be shorter.  It's 6' x 31".  Wondering if we should go down to 5' or 5'6".  The HD guy (who's been great), says the adv. of 6' is that you could squeeze in 3 people at times.

 

 

I'm also wondering about glass cabinets.  My wife kind of wants them above the sink to display our collection of fine Ikea dishes (mostly thrift store bought, before I found out they were actually cheaper at Ikea).  But I kind of prefer the simplicity and child-proofness of all wood.

post #4994 of 6367
I think you'd want more counter space either side of the cooktop. Especially with the sink so close, I imagine dishes will get in the way when cooking. Maybe you're neater than we are, though...

smile.gif
post #4995 of 6367
I'd go with glass cabinets with lights on the wall where there is no equipment. I would have pots/pans drying rack above the sink with open bottom cabinet to drip the water into the sink. And for the love of god don't do 'recession' lights in the ceiling.

P.S. Make your dishwasher built-in, else you will look at it every time you approach the kitchen because it appears to be directly in the line of the door. To me that is not a good look. Much rather see a cabinet door, but I know some people like to look at 'stainless steel' appliances.
Edited by Medwed - 9/2/16 at 6:35am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Home Ownership Thread