or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Home Ownership Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Home Ownership Thread - Page 330

post #4936 of 5760
Well, I hope they turn out to work well by SW European standards. biggrin.gif
post #4937 of 5760
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

Do you think a recirculating hood is better than no hood at all? I'm planning a remodel of a galley kitchen too. Can't put in a vented hood.

Absolutely, but you want something good. The one built into my microwave is basically useless. The $40 home depot specials probably do equally little unless vented outside.

I had one like this hooked up in ductless mode and it did work. Has both the metal filters that grab oil particles and an activated charcoal on top of that. The metal filters are easily removed and can be placed in the dishwasher. The charcoal filter is mostly just for odors (but probably picks up extra grease too) and would have to be replaced periodically if you want it to work.

I thought it was worth the $170 I paid for it...would have been even better with the ducting, but it did keep a certain amount of oil out of the air.

I hear if you want to be really effective, you gotta go to a chinese store and see what they can do for you. A lot of the ones marketed towards asian cooks even have removable grease cups because they are designed for cooking with a lot of oil. They have probably worked with ductless installs before...
post #4938 of 5760
Hmmm. Contractor has forwarded me contracts and he's either going to have to make some modifications or we're not doing business. He wants me to waive the implied warranty of good workmanship and also to cap his damages risk to the value of the contract. Having done so many capital projects at work in the last five years I know this is boiler plate, but unless they remove it, I'm not going with them.
post #4939 of 5760
In addition to being boilerplate, it might be completely unenforceable. It really depends on your state's laws, so consult a lawyer licensed in your state.
post #4940 of 5760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Hmmm. Contractor has forwarded me contracts and he's either going to have to make some modifications or we're not doing business. He wants me to waive the implied warranty of good workmanship and also to cap his damages risk to the value of the contract. Having done so many capital projects at work in the last five years I know this is boiler plate, but unless they remove it, I'm not going with them.

That sounds like a big headache. You don't have someone you've worked with over time?
post #4941 of 5760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

In addition to being boilerplate, it might be completely unenforceable. It really depends on your state's laws, so consult a lawyer licensed in your state.

I'll just try and get it removed first. One of my states most prominent construction attorneys is a friend but I hate to bother him without at least trying to resolve it myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsuperb View Post

That sounds like a big headache. You don't have someone you've worked with over time?

Not someone that does pools.
post #4942 of 5760
So, just did some reading, which I know is dangerous for a layman. It seems an "implied warranty" is one mandated by law, so 'Turk, sounds like you're correct in that this would be unenforceable and probably just beats off the majority of initial complaints in all situations by all contractors?
post #4943 of 5760
You're correct that it's dangerous to try to figure it out yourself.

An implied warranty is just that -- one that's implied without being expressly stated. The general rule is that such warranties can be disclaimed if it's done explicitly. In reality those disclaimers are sometimes void as contrary to public policy. But it varies greatly between jurisidctions so I would not hazard a guess about yours.
post #4944 of 5760
If I can't get them to strike the waiver I'll check in with my construction attorney friend. He'll want to redline the entire contract and sometimes gets carried away.
post #4945 of 5760
Strange. When I last worked construction we expressly warrantied all of our work for a year and would fix any defects free of charge.
post #4946 of 5760
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post

Strange. When I last worked construction we expressly warrantied all of our work for a year and would fix any defects free of charge.

They warranty work for two years (by law) and the implied warranty of good workmanship extends out eight years. I can see why they'd want me to waive that warranty but...fuck them. Same with agreeing their monetary liability is capped at the value of my contract.
post #4947 of 5760

Just bit of anecdotal experience but I've owned 2 homes with inground pools and I detest the damn things . Unless you are able to look 5 years down the road and just accept it as an expensive landscape feature I would advise against one, but that's me 

post #4948 of 5760
The only thing the wife really wants in my backyard scheme is the pool so...we're getting a pool. I suspect the spa and firepit will be used far more.
post #4949 of 5760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

The only thing the wife really wants in my backyard scheme is the pool so...we're getting a pool. I suspect the spa and firepit will be used far more.

Will she use it. I think you'll get more value out of a deck patio set up with a hot tub.
post #4950 of 5760
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsuperb View Post

Will she use it. I think you'll get more value out of a deck patio set up with a hot tub.

Deck patio? Try 25k of travertine. frown.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Home Ownership Thread