or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Home Ownership Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Home Ownership Thread - Page 33

post #481 of 2579
Do bulbs ever last as long as their packaging say?
post #482 of 2579
I've had some of my cfl's for years. I just keep taking them from place to place (well I dont anymore because they are so cheap), but yes.
post #483 of 2579
Has anyone had experience with restoration hardware? We received our second package from them that was destroyed upon delivery. UPS could be more careful, but their packaging was not sufficient in either case. The first incident was a set of wood curtain rods, 3 of them were snapped in half. The packaging was a joke. Yesterday we received a chandelier, one that you would think is nearly indestructible (it's mostly iron). They chose to only protect the box in the 4 corners, and not on the sides. The result was a giant hole in the side of the box. The chandelier inside was ruined. We waited a month for it, only to hear it will be another 2 weeks before the new one is shipped.

As far as quality, it seems to be hit or miss. Definitely look at the item in the store before buying it, some are made better than others.
post #484 of 2579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffrey View Post

Do bulbs ever last as long as their packaging say?

Lightbulbs can and should actually last a lifetime. Don't believe me? Its planned obsolescence.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1825163/

Quote:
Leading manufacturers of incandescent light bulbs have conspired to keep the lifetime of their bulbs far below their real technological capabilities. This way, they ensure the continuous demand for more bulbs and hence, long-term profit for themselves.

Quote:
In 1975, German watchmaker Dieter Binninger invented a light bulb with life expectancy of 150,000 hours

Quote:
The oldest lamp in the world, "Centennial Light", has been in use for 108 years, as of 2010.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_Light

post #485 of 2579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLSI View Post

Buy a house that's way too big for me that I can afford comfortably but will have a tangible impact on standard of living or buy a little town home and have much more left over play money? Also interest rates are stupid low right now and property prices are still low which is making a bigger house a more attractive use of my money.

I'm biased but I have a larger house than we need and I kind of resent the unused spaces (upstairs).

the entire upstairs?
post #486 of 2579
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex View Post

the entire upstairs?

Yes, but that's a misleading answer. First, the upstairs is considerably smaller than the downstairs (3 bedrooms, common area, bathroom, closets, attics). Second, it wasn't always unused but with just a toddler in the house now we have blocked off the stairs since she can climb them, and no one wants to see her try to negotiate the downward part of the trip on her own. Finally, having this area we hardly even walk into makes me realize all of the things that we've put into that area and how unnecessary they are. With the exception of the (full) bookcases, it's all surplus crap - and you could make the same case regarding the books, too.
post #487 of 2579
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post

Has anyone had experience with restoration hardware? We received our second package from them that was destroyed upon delivery. UPS could be more careful, but their packaging was not sufficient in either case. The first incident was a set of wood curtain rods, 3 of them were snapped in half. The packaging was a joke. Yesterday we received a chandelier, one that you would think is nearly indestructible (it's mostly iron). They chose to only protect the box in the 4 corners, and not on the sides. The result was a giant hole in the side of the box. The chandelier inside was ruined. We waited a month for it, only to hear it will be another 2 weeks before the new one is shipped.

As far as quality, it seems to be hit or miss. Definitely look at the item in the store before buying it, some are made better than others.

I bought a number of fixtures for my house (knobs, towel rods, etc) from Resto Hardware. I have similarly mixed reactions to them as a company.

I really like the line of stuff I bought from them (from their "Dillon" line) and I found it very difficult to find anything else in that particular design aesthetic (classic design elements, but square - I was matching my sink shapes, bath faucets, etc. which were all in a square aesthetic, and it proved very difficult to find anything square that was not also very contemporary, e.g. lacking end finials etc.). I think it looks great in my home and I am satisfied with the design.

With that said, the quality is a mixed bag, from the quality of the customer service on down to the actual pieces. First, I had received a substantial gift certificate, and they were unable to process the gift certificate outside of a store. I was ordering off the web, and they could not accommodate me other than for me to mail in the gift certificate. Then, they were out of the towel rings I ordered, and it took, literally, months for them to arrive. They blew about 4 delivery dates, all with short automated e-mails notifying me of a new date.

My rings and rods all look good and have held up pretty well, but actually, like you, I also had a problem with a shipping box being damaged. There was no damage to the contents, fortunately.

Around the same time, I also bought some soap dishes from the same line at a store closing fire sale. The soap dishes have not fared well - they looked great out of the box, but the soap and water have permanently damaged the chrome and even eaten through it in places, and the dishes are actually rusting. Maybe I'm expecting too much from a soap dish, but thank god I only paid considerably less than retail, because these fuckers would have been like $50 apiece, and they have lasted less than a year. I think that's unacceptable.

I think the design of some of their stuff is really great, but the prices are outrageous for the quality, and having to keep getting that farking catalog with that douchebag in his moto jacket all the time is like a kick in the balls every time. I doubt I'd buy anything from them ever again... besides maybe their Chesterfield sofa, because it's beautiful.
post #488 of 2579
I have low expectations in regard to Restoration, so I have been pretty satisfied. I use them for small lighting and actual hardware pieces that are otherwise hard to source. Their furniture is certainly less than stellar. Most of it mimics other designs.

The 'quality' is passable and most of the pieces that I have used look nice from a short distance. That being said when you start comparing it to the higher end manufacturers it falls pretty far short of the quality produced by companies like Luceplan, Artemide, Flos, ect.

Most of what they make that appears like solid stuff is actually pot metal castings or sheetmetal cheaply chrome plated. There is a large spectrum of quality in chrome plating and RH is at the bottom end in my experience. It's nice an shiny out of the box, and I suppose that is their aim. I would not use it in a humid environment or something the least bit exposed to the elements.
post #489 of 2579
Here, update. Not finished just yet, need to finish up the threshold, paint mouldings, touch up on the finishes, ect.

6E18184C-B4BA-4381-BB24-BC7F3CD8F537-349-00000019B501E8FA_zpsfd59a426.jpg

14E531BE-454D-45EE-9371-E475B908B6F8-349-00000019B117B24C_zps746d444a.jpg

8657BCB1-E6AE-4EBD-93B8-EA2F1EDE0B36-349-00000019AD84493C_zpse40485b1.jpg
post #490 of 2579

Looks good. How high are those baseboards?

 

lefty

post #491 of 2579
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

Here, update. Not finished just yet, need to finish up the threshold, paint mouldings, touch up on the finishes, ect.

6E18184C-B4BA-4381-BB24-BC7F3CD8F537-349-00000019B501E8FA_zpsfd59a426.jpg

14E531BE-454D-45EE-9371-E475B908B6F8-349-00000019B117B24C_zps746d444a.jpg

8657BCB1-E6AE-4EBD-93B8-EA2F1EDE0B36-349-00000019AD84493C_zpse40485b1.jpg

Damn. Looks nice man. Is the wife happy?
post #492 of 2579
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

Looks good. How high are those baseboards?

lefty

Thanks! 4" tall, had a couple tricky areas that I will take pictures of when it is complete. Btw your suggestions and advice on the baseboards were very helpful, that is ultimately the style of baseboard I chose.

Thanks Caltex, she is very happy! Which is good because she was a little uneasy about this project in the beginning.
Edited by SkinnyGoomba - 2/1/13 at 7:29pm
post #493 of 2579
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

I have low expectations in regard to Restoration, so I have been pretty satisfied. I use them for small lighting and actual hardware pieces that are otherwise hard to source. Their furniture is certainly less than stellar. Most of it mimics other designs.

The 'quality' is passable and most of the pieces that I have used look nice from a short distance. That being said when you start comparing it to the higher end manufacturers it falls pretty far short of the quality produced by companies like Luceplan, Artemide, Flos, ect.

Most of what they make that appears like solid stuff is actually pot metal castings or sheetmetal cheaply chrome plated. There is a large spectrum of quality in chrome plating and RH is at the bottom end in my experience. It's nice an shiny out of the box, and I suppose that is their aim. I would not use it in a humid environment or something the least bit exposed to the elements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

I bought a number of fixtures for my house (knobs, towel rods, etc) from Resto Hardware. I have similarly mixed reactions to them as a company.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I really like the line of stuff I bought from them (from their "Dillon" line) and I found it very difficult to find anything else in that particular design aesthetic (classic design elements, but square - I was matching my sink shapes, bath faucets, etc. which were all in a square aesthetic, and it proved very difficult to find anything square that was not also very contemporary, e.g. lacking end finials etc.). I think it looks great in my home and I am satisfied with the design.

With that said, the quality is a mixed bag, from the quality of the customer service on down to the actual pieces. First, I had received a substantial gift certificate, and they were unable to process the gift certificate outside of a store. I was ordering off the web, and they could not accommodate me other than for me to mail in the gift certificate. Then, they were out of the towel rings I ordered, and it took, literally, months for them to arrive. They blew about 4 delivery dates, all with short automated e-mails notifying me of a new date.

My rings and rods all look good and have held up pretty well, but actually, like you, I also had a problem with a shipping box being damaged. There was no damage to the contents, fortunately.

Around the same time, I also bought some soap dishes from the same line at a store closing fire sale. The soap dishes have not fared well - they looked great out of the box, but the soap and water have permanently damaged the chrome and even eaten through it in places, and the dishes are actually rusting. Maybe I'm expecting too much from a soap dish, but thank god I only paid considerably less than retail, because these fuckers would have been like $50 apiece, and they have lasted less than a year. I think that's unacceptable.

I think the design of some of their stuff is really great, but the prices are outrageous for the quality, and having to keep getting that farking catalog with that douchebag in his moto jacket all the time is like a kick in the balls every time. I doubt I'd buy anything from them ever again... besides maybe their Chesterfield sofa, because it's beautiful.

This is basically what I've experienced. The shipping times are horrendous, and seem to have no discernible pattern from item to item. Some items won't ship for months, others a few days.

In terms of quality, the curtain rods were not impressive, but those went back and we went with something else. There is a RH outlet about an hour north of us, and we found a light we had been looking at, only at a substantial discount. We hung it the other day in the breakfast nook(below). The table, chairs and cushions were also purchased during a big sale at RH - those seem to be alright. No idea where she found those hideous placemats. One gripe I have with the table is the intentional distressing around the edge makes it dangerous to eat at if you're wearing nice clothing - could possibly cause a snag. It's not rough on the surface, but they put these notches into the wood and if you were to brush up against it and the clothing was pushed into those notches, the inside of said notch is not sanded. I think the pendant could have been constructed while paying more attention to how the glass was attached. It's nice and heavy, but some of the finer points leave more to be desired in terms of how it's put together. Maybe I'm being too picky. I was satisfied with the desk and the other items, though. In south FL, you're not exactly dealing with a hotbed of good vendors to choose from.

AppleMark
post #494 of 2579

^^ Scale seems a little off on the baseboards, but that could change once you're in the space.

 

Next project ... doorknobs.

 

lefty

post #495 of 2579
They're about 1/2" taller than what was there, I did not want to go any taller than that. Everything I read suggested doing 7% of the wall size, which is about 7.5" tall, but that seemed huge and I dont think applies well to modern spaces.

Doorhandles....i agree. Anything I can reuse when I replace the door with something else. I'm thinking about switching from a knob to a leverset.

I have many plans for this basement.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Home Ownership Thread