Originally Posted by JohnGalt
Anyone have any experience with DIY home security (e.g. Simplisafe, Scout, etc)? Simplisafe seems to have good reviews in general, but it's so damn ugly and doesn't integrate with other products.
So I had Scout installed for about a month...and just packed it up to send it back to Amazon.
1) Easy to install - installation is guided via smartphone and helps ensure that all components connect.
2) It works, in the sense that all of the components talk to each other as they are supposed to
3) Battery and cell backup on base station
1) Generally looks better than many other systems, but the window/door sensors are large because of the batteries
2) Lack of instructions - the unit that would go by your main entry door to arm/disarm gives feedback via color, with no explanation of what the colors mean.
3) Motion sensors pick up pets
4) Notifications are inconsistent and slow. I only occasionally received push notifications, often receiving the email notice first.
5) The sirens are a joke. One can easily sleep through them unless you installed another unit in the bedroom.
6) No option to use smartphone as a siren. The whole thing is controlled via smartphone, how difficult would it be to use it as a siren?
7) Connection to servers sometimes goes down due to server-side or cloud issues.
8) No option to add cameras.