Originally Posted by texas_jack
Anybody have a cabin? We were up in Michigan last week and loved it. They're pretty cheap and you can get a decent one for less than 100k. What are the draw backs?
We've got a cabin in the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee and it's probably the best thing I've ever done. There are drawbacks though, including:
1) You need a monitored alarm system since professional thieves will know where to target recreational use properties and your cabin WILL get broken into. That adds cost.
2) Insurance costs a good bit, because most cabins are not close to neither fire stations nor fire hydrants.
3) Electricity can be unreliable because of all those damn overhead power lines, so count on a few power outages a year, some of which can spoil your refrigerator contents.
4) Winters are a bitch, especially on water pipes, and even in Tennessee. Being in Michigan you probably know that all it takes is a day or two of temperatures under 25 to 30F for pipes to freeze and if there is nobody watching your cabin and you are on a well, this can be disastrous.
5) Everybody will become your friend and hint around about that cabin you've got there and how nice it must be to have a place to get away.
6) Unless you want to spend your downtime cleaning, you will need a cleaning lady to come clean up after you when you leave. That adds cost.
Of course, none of this would dissuade me from doing the same thing over if I had to. I love the place.