or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Home Ownership Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Home Ownership Thread - Page 234

post #3496 of 5754
Okay, was just emailed the conceptual drawing of the new fireplace wall from the contractor. It's like we had to completely different conversations.

ffffuuuu.gif
post #3497 of 5754

The home I just purchased is very nice except for one thing, the dismal master closet, the size is wonderful, the shape is odd, but ok, however the finish is to say the least, utter crap. So I'm starting the project as soon as I finish building my shop of tearing all this out and putting in nice shelving with proper organizers for shoes and such as well as an island for accessories.

post #3498 of 5754
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich775 View Post
 

The home I just purchased is very nice except for one thing, the dismal master closet, the size is wonderful, the shape is odd, but ok, however the finish is to say the least, utter crap. So I'm starting the project as soon as I finish building my shop of tearing all this out and putting in nice shelving with proper organizers for shoes and such as well as an island for accessories.

Your closet is big enough for an island??! My kitchen isn't big enough for an island.....Sigh

post #3499 of 5754
So went to the place that sells fireplaces today. Thinking of this fireplace for the house:

post #3500 of 5754

Looks nice Piob.  Are those glass gem like things at the bottom?  I saw those as an option is you didn't want rocks when we bought ours.

post #3501 of 5754
Yup, a glass material. There are actually LEDs underneath and it lights them up quite nicely. It's a pretty cool looking thing, all in all, and it's not trying to be something it isn't, i.e. a wood burning fireplace.
post #3502 of 5754
Sellers left us a big ass frameless mirror I want to hang in my home gym. It's seriously like 8x4 feet. I was going to hang it myself by screwing an 8' 2x4 into each stud, but I've tried 2 studfinders so far and they are both complete crap. Would it be worth having a contractor do? I don't want to die.
post #3503 of 5754
Does it have mounting points/hardware already? I bet it doesn't. A mirror that large is probably supposed to be glued in place rather than hung, at least I would think.

As far as finding studs, it should be easy with the stud finder. Just keep trying different spots until you get 16" on center hits. The thing self-calibrates when you first activate it, so start on different spots. If it still doesn't work, get a flash light and holding it up against the drywall looking for seams -- you should be able to see them, or raised spots from nail/screw heads. If it comes down to it, you can poke a tiny hole through the drywall with an awl or small nail to be sure.
post #3504 of 5754
It is just a big pane of glass. It was in their bathroom before, but for some reason they took it down. I will try a more expensive stud finder, but the one I had before was totally inconsistent. I will try the flashlight trick too. Even if I glue the mirror I need to temporarily support it, and if I am going to do that I would rather just keep the support in place.
post #3505 of 5754
I wouldn't give up on the stud finder. Like I said, the trick to using it is that you can't start it over a stud or other obstruction. Put it flat on the wall and press the button, let it calibrate, then move it around. Do that a couple times, turning it off in between attempts. Try it higher and lower on the wall, or left and right. When it hits 16" (or maybe 24") on center, you've found your studs.
post #3506 of 5754

I've heard of people using strong magnets before to find studs.  Also I am sure you thought of this but are there studs in your home gym wall where you want the mirror?  Like not just drywall stuck to a concrete block wall but an interior wall or if it does abut to a concrete wall that they put studs or something for moisture purposes.

post #3507 of 5754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

I wouldn't give up on the stud finder. Like I said, the trick to using it is that you can't start it over a stud or other obstruction. Put it flat on the wall and press the button, let it calibrate, then move it around. Do that a couple times, turning it off in between attempts. Try it higher and lower on the wall, or left and right. When it hits 16" (or maybe 24") on center, you've found your studs.

+1, I have bought the least expensive stud finders and they work fine. I use pencil marks and confirm it with a few runs, finding the inside and the outside of the stud before I drill into them. As for the mirror, something that large, no matter what else you use on it, would really be helped with glue on the back. It keeps it from pulling off the wall at all and putting stresses on the mechanical supports.
post #3508 of 5754
Find what may be a stud, and verify it by driving a very small nail into the drywall, - if you hit wood, there you go. If the nail goes through the drywall and then nothing - try a different spot.
post #3509 of 5754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Yup, a glass material. There are actually LEDs underneath and it lights them up quite nicely. It's a pretty cool looking thing, all in all, and it's not trying to be something it isn't, i.e. a wood burning fireplace.

Were you originally trying to go for wood/ceramic look, or always intending for the LED/glass style?

post #3510 of 5754
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post

I've heard of people using strong magnets before to find studs.  Also I am sure you thought of this but are there studs in your home gym wall where you want the mirror?  Like not just drywall stuck to a concrete block wall but an interior wall or if it does abut to a concrete wall that they put studs or something for moisture purposes.
It is an interior wall. There are two outlets on the wall under where the mirror will go so I know there are at least 2 studs in it lol. I will give the studfinder another go tonight.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Home Ownership Thread