or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Home Ownership Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Home Ownership Thread - Page 215

post #3211 of 5824

Well, you do need the rain.

 

I'm a little concerned as the installer is setting it up to run everything from a phone or ipad and I'm thinking when did buttons become so taxing.

 

lefty

post #3212 of 5824
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsstillmatt View Post

Backup. Storm last night. We have manual switching for emergencies, but only as four quadrants of the system.

What type and size of generator do you have? Seriously want to install one in the next couple of years.
post #3213 of 5824
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsstillmatt View Post

My fucking homeworks system fried last night when the generator switched on. I would kill to have regular light switches.
Lutron has devices that allow the system to work with poor power...if the homeworks installation was done after the generator was installed then I would contact the people who did your homeworks system and see if they can fix your system for free.
post #3214 of 5824
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

Well, you do need the rain.

I'm a little concerned as the installer is setting it up to run everything from a phone or ipad and I'm thinking when did buttons become so taxing.

lefty

I have Savant and it does the shades, lights, hvac, and AV but I control the lights and shades with Lutron keypads (in wall and table top) 99% of the time. The Savant TrueControl II app can do more but I rarely need to use it for lights and shades.

Savant also makes remotes with real physical buttons which I find helpful for watching movies and TV so you don't need to pull out your phone in the dark.

Also there is a bit of a learning period to the Savant True Control app because the interface is not intuitive.
post #3215 of 5824
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsstillmatt View Post

Good one, man. How long have you been waiting for that?

I don't even know what it is except it sounds like home automation which I am against.
post #3216 of 5824

Installed a Nest Smoke/CO Detector over the holiday weekend.  Only bought 1 to see how it does and put it in the stairwell.  Thinking of adding another in the basement stairwell as it was easy and my wife likes the interface on her phone.  Next up will be a Thermostat because she is clueless on weather to have the heat or A/C on at night and I just think, let the system decide.  Last night she chose wrong and it was too hot in the room and I was too lazy to go change the damn thing over.

post #3217 of 5824

The nest thermostadt is amazing. I find the smoke detectors overpriced and not worth it, but the nest is a bargain for the access and useability

post #3218 of 5824
I just bought a house last Thursday, guess I will park up in here.
post #3219 of 5824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Voorhees View Post

The nest thermostadt is amazing. I find the smoke detectors overpriced and not worth it, but the nest is a bargain for the access and useability

+1 love the thermostat
post #3220 of 5824
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_jack View Post

I don't even know what it is except it sounds like home automation which I am against.

We bought the house with it in. I hate it. I'm fine with paddles and slide dimmers, which is what we are putting in our other place, against the complaints of contractors.
post #3221 of 5824
What's wrong with it? It will save you energy and keep your house comfortable. Also tracks your energy use and savings on HVAC. I'm gonna get two for each of our thermal zones. Full disclosure I am an energy efficiency specialist.
post #3222 of 5824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid View Post

What's wrong with it? It will save you energy and keep your house comfortable. Also tracks your energy use and savings on HVAC. I'm gonna get two for each of our thermal zones. Full disclosure I am an energy efficiency specialist.

When your generator kicks on you can't open your blinds.
post #3223 of 5824
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_jack View Post

When your generator kicks on you can't open your blinds.
Thought you were talking about the Nest thermostat, never mind.
post #3224 of 5824
My friend sent my mother a Nest CO/Smoke Detector and has offered to send over a thermostat once I figure some electrical/heating thingy. Not looking forward to having to drill the damn detector into the cieling.
post #3225 of 5824
How do you guys like your nest systems? My uncle has it and has been going on about how cool it is, so I'm thinking about it as well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Home Ownership Thread