or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Home Ownership Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Home Ownership Thread - Page 209

post #3121 of 5824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Do not get key = burden. At the very least don't you have to carry a key to your office door? Or am I just the only pleb that needs to work?

The actual offices in this building don't lock (except for the HR people). After hours access to our floors and to restricted rooms is handled with RFID cards that read just fine through my wallet.

I hate having lots of keys...I'm considering getting some rekeyable padlocks (that take house key cylinders) just so that I don't have to carry the keys to my bike lock. Trying to figure out if I can ditch the building key too since the doorman is always there (but I occasionally use the freight entrance so this might be pushing it).
Don't think there is any way around the mailbox key. Maybe I can break the lock so I can open it without the key? I'm not exactly worried about someone looking in my mailbox (the past 5 years, I didn't have a lock and lived in a much sketchier building).
post #3122 of 5824
I carry a grand master key for work (opens every lock in my organization), my house key, and my keyless fob. No mail box key as I enjoy home delivery. Three keys, first two on a small ring, fob separate for valet parking. I do not find it a burden, they don't jingle, and I don't get the thought this is a burden upon me. As to constantly forgetting keys...do you constantly forget your wallet? Your money clip? Just place the few things you need daily together and get a habit for your morning ritual. It's not hard.
post #3123 of 5824
That's awesome you should continue to enjoy carrying keys. No one is trying to convince you otherwise. For people who don't like carrying keys there are alternatives. Maybe if people phrased it in the form of a humble brag you would understand it better.
post #3124 of 5824
I am planning to build a back door for my house, and moving from the shitty locks on there to Sargent full mortise locks. Door and frame will likely be white oak and the glass I've yet to sorce.

I don't worry so much in my neighborhood, but full mortise locks are much harder to pick due to the spring loaded mechanism, and 8/4 white oak would require legs of the Hulk to kick in.

Most will screw wood screws into the door frame, I will use machine screw bolted through the frame into a plate steel backing.
post #3125 of 5824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

I carry a grand master key for work (opens every lock in my organization), my house key, and my keyless fob. No mail box key as I enjoy home delivery. Three keys, first two on a small ring, fob separate for valet parking. I do not find it a burden, they don't jingle, and I don't get the thought this is a burden upon me. As to constantly forgetting keys...do you constantly forget your wallet? Your money clip? Just place the few things you need daily together and get a habit for your morning ritual. It's not hard.

No I don't forget my wallet but I try not to have keys in my pocket as they can scratch my phone or my wallet.  I didn't have the issue in my last place but in my current home my landing spot for the keys doesn't seem to have taken hold.

 

There is a thing called progress and I know that many people may not be interested in it but I am and I see nothing wrong with it.

post #3126 of 5824
I have so many keys and fobs... not bragging... it's a pain to carry especially when wearing a suit.
  • Apartment fob
  • apartment key
  • mailbox key
  • locker key
  • apartment public doors (garbage, guest lounge) key
  • another apartment key I don't know what it does (new apartment keep it on in case I lock myself out of something)
  • Car fob
  • Car key (separate car fob & key = sign of the plebe?)
  • Office drawer lock
  • Office door key
  • Office building key
  • Office building public area key
post #3127 of 5824
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

I am planning to build a back door for my house, and moving from the shitty locks on there to Sargent full mortise locks. Door and frame will likely be white oak and the glass I've yet to sorce.

I don't worry so much in my neighborhood, but full mortise locks are much harder to pick due to the spring loaded mechanism, and 8/4 white oak would require legs of the Hulk to kick in.

Most will screw wood screws into the door frame, I will use machine screw bolted through the frame into a plate steel backing.

Better lock ,imho, would be ABLOY.
http://www.abloy.com/en/abloy/abloycom/products/abloy-lock-cases/

ABLOY is aslo a perfect solution for people with 33 keys. Their cylinder systems allows for one-key solution to multiple doors.
I have one key that opens entrance door to the building lobby, my post box, my apartment door and my guarage and also the basement storage -one key does it all while it obviously would not open any doors that do not belong to me.
post #3128 of 5824
Thanks MW!
post #3129 of 5824

I have a car key/fob and a house key.  My work uses an RFID key card and I am in a non-locking office.  I do have a random key ring which I would be pissed if it was lost as it holds keys to everything else in my life but I hardly have to use it.

post #3130 of 5824
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnFacconable View Post

That's awesome you should continue to enjoy carrying keys. No one is trying to convince you otherwise. For people who don't like carrying keys there are alternatives. Maybe if people phrased it in the form of a humble brag you would understand it better.

I did not feel anyone was trying to convince me of anything, humble brag or otherwise. I also have yet to see anyone completely eliminate keys so continue to fail to understand the burden of a house key. Sorry I seem to have bunched your panties (again).
post #3131 of 5824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

I carry a grand master key for work (opens every lock in my organization), my house key, and my keyless fob. No mail box key as I enjoy home delivery. Three keys, first two on a small ring, fob separate for valet parking. I do not find it a burden, they don't jingle, and I don't get the thought this is a burden upon me. As to constantly forgetting keys...do you constantly forget your wallet? Your money clip? Just place the few things you need daily together and get a habit for your morning ritual. It's not hard.

Why are you arguing? Some like not having keys (one less thing to carry around). You do.
post #3132 of 5824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffrey View Post

Why are you arguing? Some like not having keys (one less thing to carry around). You do.

I'm not arguing but rather expressing incredulity. If someone wants a fugly keyless lock on their house more power to them. I just don't get the stated motive, namely forgetting keys constantly and how carrying a house key is a PITA. I completely encourage folks to put whatever lock they want on their homes. I also am an early adopter of most technologies so got a good chuckle out of being accused of not wanting progress. I have to admit if biometric locks get adopted for reasonably priced consumer use I'll probably move to that as I really like it on the iPhone 6.
post #3133 of 5824
Even when you aren't arguing you are arguing. I enjoy not carrying a key. Doesn't mean carrying a key was an insurmountable hardship. I also like that I can give our nanny and other domestic helpers their own key code so I wouldn't have to rekey my house if I change providers, just delete their code.

Seems odd that you are having a hissy fit over other people discussing a minor personal preference for keypad entry to their homes.
post #3134 of 5824
No hissy fit (on my part) and not everything I post is directed at you.
post #3135 of 5824
Thanks to whoever posted the Lowes discounts. Just grabbed the Dewalt 20v max brushless drill/driver kit for $209. Screaming deal.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Home Ownership Thread