Joys of home ownership story from yesterday:
Wife and I had noticed a pesky "damp" bathroom smell over the past several weeks. Figured my vent/fan is on it's last legs and not pulling moisture out of there after showers and stuff.
Yesterday morning found water seeping up from between the vinyl tiles around the toilet. Figured "oh, must just need a new wax ring, no bigs."
Pulled the toilet off to discover that rather than being bolted to a toilet flange, my toilet had been screwed directly to the foor, and there was, in fact, no toilet flange at all attached to my drain/sewer pipe.
The water damage was pretty extensive so I started peeling back the vinyl tiles, which is a PITA. Also had to cut and remove 2 different layers of subfloor, which was a bitch because my toilet is in it's own little alcove so it's hard to maneuver a saw in there and you cant get a circular saw any closer than a few inches from the wall.
I have cast iron sewer pipes, so the fact that there was no flange was very concerning to me at first, as I was not really prepared to lead solder a new flange on there nor did I want to pay for an emergency plumber the day before thanksgiving. Luckily I found that there are compression flanges for use on old cast piping. All of my local stores would have had to order the part in, but luckily a specialty shop across the city had one so I got to drive across the city in holiday traffic to get it.
Had a really difficult time getting the new subfloor cut correctly - really difficult to cut the right size hole for the pipe as it was a little irregular shaped and the subfloor had to fit rather closely so the new flange could be anchored into it.
Needed to replace 11 vinyl tiles, which was also a big bitch to do because 9 of them had to be trimmed to fit the space and around a floor vent in the area.
But in the end I got it all done and I'm happy that we have two working toilets for Thanksgiving!