or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Home Ownership Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Home Ownership Thread - Page 162

post #2416 of 5805
Where in Texas are you? And are Catholic schools an option? Only because they're much cheaper than other, comparable private schools - at least in Houston.
post #2417 of 5805
Quote:
Originally Posted by i10casual View Post

Should have listened to subconscious. When I first bought the house I kinda had a feeling it wasn't the best school district but was excited to be a first time buyer. I bought a small home in a nice area, next to a horse farm and nice views. The problem is I have a 3 year old and I just looked into the school system here. One of the worst in the state.

So now do I sell as soon as I can and find a better school district with a nice house? I can sell in another three years.
Or I can send her to private school and keep this little house.

I went to both public and private schools, and some of the public schools I went to were very highly rated. To me, it was still night and day difference. Though, as another poster said, the student and family tend to me more important than the school.
post #2418 of 5805
Something about the type of loan or mortgage we have keeps us in the house for 5 years. I'll go over the paper work to refresh my memory.

Ok, the district has low ratings prob because of the parents and not the teachers or admin. I guess the problem is the disruption in the class room, a high teen pregnancy rate, a whole anti-scholastic attitude, and lots of gangs. I'm in El Paso TX and I'd like her to go to a good college like A&M, Saint Mary's, oe even UT. Rice would be awesome.

Thanks for the heads up and reminder Jbarwick. I do work with my daughter about an hour each day on reading, math, and basic skills. I'm going to start her in a Methodist school this year at age 4. It should be fun for her.
post #2419 of 5805
House: One funny thing about the home is the original owner added rain gutters to it which increased the value a little. However I live in a desert. It's only rained here about twice this year. So I spend a lot of time removing heaps of sand from them.
post #2420 of 5805
IIRC bad school districts don't really start to fall behind until the kids are a few years past kindergarten. A couple years probably won't set junior back for life.
post #2421 of 5805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Finn View Post

They are a bitch when they break.

Ten years on the labour, lifetime on the parts. The company that builds them has been in business about 65 years. I'm pretty sure I'm covered. Can't see where they're more of a bitch than a regular vacuum that dies on a consistent basis.

Everyone I've ever known with central vac, have described them as being asthmatic and a complete waste of money,.
post #2422 of 5805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Finn View Post

Everyone I've ever known with central vac, have described them as being asthmatic and a complete waste of money,.

Did the idiots not complete any due diligence on what they were getting installed? We did the entire house Saturday and it has not been this clean since we moved in. Not only did it vacuum substantially better than our previous upright it was easier to use and I did not have to empty the canister several times. This thing sucks like a mo-fo, is super quiet, and things move much faster.

However, your initial criticism was being a "bitch when they break." I replied to that and now you have second hand reports on poor performance as a critique? Seems you just don't like them for some reason.
post #2423 of 5805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Did the idiots not complete any due diligence on what they were getting installed? We did the entire house Saturday and it has not been this clean since we moved in. Not only did it vacuum substantially better than our previous upright it was easier to use and I did not have to empty the canister several times. This thing sucks like a mo-fo, is super quiet, and things move much faster.

However, your initial criticism was being a "bitch when they break." I replied to that and now you have second hand reports on poor performance as a critique? Seems you just don't like them for some reason.

And as I said before, we had one for 5 years in our previous home and loved every minute of it. Best money I ever spent (was about $2500 both the time before and this time around).
post #2424 of 5805
Quote:
Originally Posted by i10casual View Post

Something about the type of loan or mortgage we have keeps us in the house for 5 years. I'll go over the paper work to refresh my memory.

Ok, the district has low ratings prob because of the parents and not the teachers or admin. I guess the problem is the disruption in the class room, a high teen pregnancy rate, a whole anti-scholastic attitude, and lots of gangs. I'm in El Paso TX and I'd like her to go to a good college like A&M, Saint Mary's, oe even UT. Rice would be awesome.

Thanks for the heads up and reminder Jbarwick. I do work with my daughter about an hour each day on reading, math, and basic skills. I'm going to start her in a Methodist school this year at age 4. It should be fun for her.

Doesn't Texas have some sort of program where if you graduate in the top 10% of your high school class, you are automatically admitted into any state school (so I guess UT or A&M)? If that's true, maybe that would be an incentive to sticking around in a less desirable district if, like many believe, more of her performance comes down to the family life and her support system. Of course, who knows what sort of admission standards they will have by the time she graduates...
post #2425 of 5805

We have all hardwood floors but we do have some area rugs.  I broom, swifter, then clean the hardwoods then for carpets I use this little handheld that works better than our two upright vacuums.  For any other vacuuming (corners, up high, etc.) I just drag around my shopvac.  I can see the appeal for a centralized vacuum but do the random connections points around the house look bad or are they covered by some sort of "outlet" cover and blend in?

post #2426 of 5805
they are typically the size of a wall receptacle and have a cover over the port. i don't understand the complaint of "asthmatic" above - it doesn't make sense. there is no air circulating in the living area. as well, the only noise you'll have will be the suction and the agitator brush, not the motor (it will be minimal, if any).

pio - how complex/time consuming was the installation? Is it difficult to have done in an existing home?
post #2427 of 5805
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post

We have all hardwood floors but we do have some area rugs.  I broom, swifter, then clean the hardwoods then for carpets I use this little handheld that works better than our two upright vacuums.  For any other vacuuming (corners, up high, etc.) I just drag around my shopvac.  I can see the appeal for a centralized vacuum but do the random connections points around the house look bad or are they covered by some sort of "outlet" cover and blend in?

They blend as much as an electrical outlet. They are all covered or else they would drain the vacuum created by the main unit. They also tend to be placed in very inconspicuous areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post

they are typically the size of a wall receptacle and have a cover over the port. i don't understand the complaint of "asthmatic" above - it doesn't make sense. there is no air circulating in the living area. as well, the only noise you'll have will be the suction and the agitator brush, not the motor (it will be minimal, if any).

pio - how complex/time consuming was the installation? Is it difficult to have done in an existing home?

JG, no idea about retro fitting. Our house was plumbed for it when it was built. Took the installer all of an hour to install the unit.
post #2428 of 5805
My parents put in a central vac when they built their current house about 20 years ago. The thing has never had any major issues and works like a champ. Also like Pio, it sucks very hard (TWSS?) and cleans better than any upright I've ever used--though granted, I've never used a very high end upright. The plugs completely blend in.

The only annoying thing about it is that the hose is very long and heavy, but I imagine they chose that size for a reason.
post #2429 of 5805
What do you do if your vac pipes are leaking inside the walls and how do you know if they aren't? Also I occasionaly vacuume something that I need to recover from the bag or canister, how do you do that with central vac if it is somehwre in the pipes?

P.S. I personally hate vacuuming and let my gang of robots do the whole thing. They clean the house well and entertain the cat.
post #2430 of 5805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwed View Post

What do you do if your vac pipes are leaking inside the walls and how do you know if they aren't? Also I occasionaly vacuume something that I need to recover from the bag or canister, how do you do that with central vac if it is somehwre in the pipes?

P.S. I personally hate vacuuming and let my gang of robots do the whole thing. They clean the house well and entertain the cat.

The pipe install is plumbing grade PVC. Given the low wear and tear occasionally running a light vacuum will put on that install, vs. constant pressurized water flow, I'm pretty sure it's up to many years of service. As far as idiot proofing the act of vacuuming, years of having hundreds of employees have taught me as much as I think I've idiot proofed something, I can always hire a bigger idiot. If it gets stuck in the pipes call a plumber to snake it; if it doesn't it's in the canister just like any vacuum.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Home Ownership Thread