or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Home Ownership Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Home Ownership Thread - Page 82

post #1216 of 2908
Speaking of HOA's and the good things about them, one of our neighbors-to-be (he is planning on building a home soon on a lot he owns, as am I) recently tried to pull and fast one and get a variance to set his home only 35 feet from the street instead of the mandated 50 feet, because he's trying to shoehorn a McMansion on to his lot. The HOA basically got everyone together and sent up several neighbors to the meeting and bitch slapped him into a denied request. He also wanted garage doors facing the street which is verboten in this neighborhood.

So generally speaking, count me in the crowd that appreciates a good HOA watching out for property values. Especially in a small infill one-street community like ours which only contains 17 lots and which has a pretty specific architectural feel, one bad house could really fubar the mojo of the street.
post #1217 of 2908
It might be unfashionable, but you really want a garage that faces north or east, at least if it's hot in the summer.
post #1218 of 2908
The last of the painters, hardwood floor, cabinet and appliance guys left today after moving everything back into the house. Our remodel is complete after 29 days (projected to be 14 smile.gif ).

We opened a bottle of champagne and celebrated getting our house back and cars in the garage.
post #1219 of 2908
Congrats! That sounds like pretty good time for that size project.
post #1220 of 2908
Anyone know what is involved (material costs and labor) for duct work? I was replacing a fan the other day and noticed a lot of cold air within the ceiling walls. I have a 4 bedroom house with 3 of those bedrooms upstairs. The bedroom downstairs is nice and cool, while the ones upstairs stay warm most of summer.

I imagine this won't be something I can do myself. Just looking for anyone with experience having done this or gone through this himself. It seems like it could be rather labor-intensive if they have to go through the walls to repair something.
post #1221 of 2908
I can't say I've ever hired someone to do it, but the first thing you try should be closing or partially closing some of the registers where it's cool (downstairs) to rebalance the system. That could make a big difference.

Upstairs being hotter is just a matter of physics. Hot air rises, and the attic is going to be much hotter than it is outside.
post #1222 of 2908
Speaking of ductwork, I'm worn out on cleaning all of the crystal and silver every couple times I use the range with a recirculating hood. Thinking about installing the nessecary duct to vent outside.

What have you guys used in the way of fireproof wrap, and what size duct? I see 6" is common but Viking specifies 7" or 10" duct. Not a chance that I'm fitting 10" duct into this house with insulation.

I reasize that is is common for people to use duct without fireproofing, but I'd rather go overboard.
post #1223 of 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by zatarregaza View Post

Anyone know what is involved (material costs and labor) for duct work? I was replacing a fan the other day and noticed a lot of cold air within the ceiling walls. I have a 4 bedroom house with 3 of those bedrooms upstairs. The bedroom downstairs is nice and cool, while the ones upstairs stay warm most of summer.

I imagine this won't be something I can do myself. Just looking for anyone with experience having done this or gone through this himself. It seems like it could be rather labor-intensive if they have to go through the walls to repair something.

 

I have this very same problem and have been told it's because the installer didn't properly balance the load when they installed the ducts. Now, one side (top and bottom) of my house is very well cooled/heated while the other is not. It would not be cheap to correct, as it would require ripping out sheet rock and potentially replacing/realigning ducts.

 

However, I was told that by upgrading to a 95% furnace, that they would be able to install some sort of load balancer that could redirect more air to the other side of the house. I don't know if this would be possible to do without upgrading, for all I know they were just trying to sell me a new furnace. This would not fix the air leakage you have in the ducts, obviously.

post #1224 of 2908
As we are preparing to move into our new place, we've of course begun thinking about furnishings.

We are planning to use the living room as a reading room, as I think living rooms are rather pointless. Any thoughts/experience with the Milo Baughman Recliner 74?

http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/seating/lounge-chairs/pair-of-milo-baughman-recliners-thayer-coggin/id-f_803889/
post #1225 of 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post

As we are preparing to move into our new place, we've of course begun thinking about furnishings.

We are planning to use the living room as a reading room, as I think living rooms are rather pointless. Any thoughts/experience with the Milo Baughman Recliner 74?

http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/seating/lounge-chairs/pair-of-milo-baughman-recliners-thayer-coggin/id-f_803889/

If you want to find the perfect chair for long hours of enjoyable reading I would urge you to give any one you are considering a test drive first and not buy simply on spec. Find a store that has one and go sit in the thing as long as you can. See how it hits the back of your legs. How does your back feel? Are the arm rests high enough or do you slouch to one side. All of these will determine how you feel after a couple of hours.

Some store will allow you to return chairs. I took two well known designer chairs back. They looked great but they just didn't feel right after an hour or two.

And don't forget a great reading lamp.

Good luck!
post #1226 of 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post

As we are preparing to move into our new place, we've of course begun thinking about furnishings.

We are planning to use the living room as a reading room, as I think living rooms are rather pointless. Any thoughts/experience with the Milo Baughman Recliner 74?

http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/seating/lounge-chairs/pair-of-milo-baughman-recliners-thayer-coggin/id-f_803889/

I love how they look but they sit like a bench seat in an old chevelle.
post #1227 of 2908
My fear was that it would be terribly uncomfortable. Good advice to try a few out - I suppose that makes a lot of sense. On another note, is anyone familiar with Mash Studios? Thinking of picking up this table/chair set for the kitchen:

http://laxseries.com/dine_and_entertain/edge_square_table.html

Other suggestions are certainly welcome.
post #1228 of 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post

On another note, is anyone familiar with Mash Studios? Thinking of picking up this table/chair set for the kitchen:

http://laxseries.com/dine_and_entertain/edge_square_table.html

Other suggestions are certainly welcome.

I own one piece from Mash and am happy with the quality. I'm not a fan of the dining set, though. It's like matching your tie and pocket square. Find a table and chairs that work with each other, but don't necessarily match.
post #1229 of 2908
Parsons style is fine, but maybe with a cafe chair or something of that nature. Wegner CH327 is my personal favorite, but it's pretty expensive.
post #1230 of 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbromer View Post

I own one piece from Mash and am happy with the quality. I'm not a fan of the dining set, though. It's like matching your tie and pocket square. Find a table and chairs that work with each other, but don't necessarily match.

solid point - i knew something was off. now to convince the wife.

I'm thinking modernica (fiberglass) eames dowel side shell chairs
Edited by JohnGalt - 7/5/13 at 3:48pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Home Ownership Thread