or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Stupid political crap your friends post on facebook.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stupid political crap your friends post on facebook. - Page 321

post #4801 of 5454
That one popped up in my feed recently, too.

You should remind the person who posted if that they weren't fleeing anything; they were going to Bethlehem for a census. Also, they were returning to Joseph's ancestral home, not attempting to emigrate to some faraway land.
post #4802 of 5454

LOL American Christians rationalizing why its ok to to turn your back on people in need.

post #4803 of 5454
The anti-refugee people are idiots, but that doesn't mean you counter their idiocy with idiocy of your own.
post #4804 of 5454

I'm opposed to accepting refugees for one reason: we shouldn't be giving special treatment to them.  People from all around the world want to come here, and they queue up for years trying to get a visa.  Why not remove stupid quotas and evaluate everyone who wants to move here? 

 

I'd happily welcome a lot more people into this country than we already do.  Why are we essentially punishing people from other countries just because there isn't a civil war going on where they are from?

post #4805 of 5454
There are lots of reasonable ways to allocate scarce resources. Need is one of them. Emergency Rooms, for example, don't take patients in the order they arrive but rather by the severity of the injury. We could let in people by the urgency of their need, in order of application, possession of useful skill sets, how much they will pay, where they are willing to live and lots of other methods. A combination of those factors is also reasonable.
post #4806 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

I'm opposed to accepting refugees for one reason: we shouldn't be giving special treatment to them.  People from all around the world want to come here, and they queue up for years trying to get a visa.  Why not remove stupid quotas and evaluate everyone who wants to move here? 

I'd happily welcome a lot more people into this country than we already do.  Why are we essentially punishing people from other countries just because there isn't a civil war going on where they are from?

The refugee process takes years to complete in the US. We're not like Europe that lets anyone in who shows up. I know my mom had to wait in a camp for several years before her family was allowed to move here. The story I've heard from more recent refugees is much the same.
post #4807 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

There are lots of reasonable ways to allocate scarce resources. Need is one of them. Emergency Rooms, for example, don't take patients in the order they arrive but rather by the severity of the injury. We could let in people by the urgency of their need, in order of application, possession of useful skill sets, how much they will pay, where they are willing to live and lots of other methods. A combination of those factors is also reasonable.

 

I agree completely.  Let's state the formula clearly and go with it.  I'm pretty open about my desire to have more immigration.  I think our focus should be on what we need though.   

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post


The refugee process takes years to complete in the US. We're not like Europe that lets anyone in who shows up. I know my mom had to wait in a camp for several years before her family was allowed to move here. The story I've heard from more recent refugees is much the same.

 

Even basic immigration can take years too.  My only point is: should be prioritizing one group because their country is in a civil war or those fleeing persecution?  I don't think people should be stuck in limbo for years regardless though.

post #4808 of 5454
FWIW it took me nearly two years to move from Canada to the US.
post #4809 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post


Even basic immigration can take years too.  My only point is: should be prioritizing one group because their country is in a civil war or those fleeing persecution?  I don't think people should be stuck in limbo for years regardless though.


Agree completely. The biggest problem with refugee status is a subjective judgment call becomes involved to determine if the person is fleeing persecution. The last thing we need are government bureaucrats making judgment calls. Set out a simple objective criteria and apply it to everyone.
post #4810 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

I agree completely.  Let's state the formula clearly and go with it.  I'm pretty open about my desire to have more immigration.  I think our focus should be on what we need though.   

Even basic immigration can take years too.  My only point is: should be prioritizing one group because their country is in a civil war or those fleeing persecution?  I don't think people should be stuck in limbo for years regardless though.

I don't think we're prioritizing refugees over other forms of immigration at all. We're merely doing it in addition to other forms of legal immigration. We already accept 70-80k refugees annually with strict allocations dependent on region of the world they come from. I think Obama said we'd accept upward of 10k Syrian refugees. That's a fry cry from the impending doom so many are predicting.

We already do have a formula for refugee status, that yes, prioritizes those in immediate danger. You can read about the general classifications and all the numbers here: https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL31269.pdf
post #4811 of 5454
BC, I disagree that we shouldn't account for the situation at home when we consider whether or not to admit an immigrant, but, more practically, your position seems to rest on the assumption that standard immigration and refugee immigration are somehow zero sum. That's not the case, and they're really two different pools of applicants.

The shitshow that is US immigration policy (MrsG is an erstwhile furriner) is another question entirely, and I agree that it desperately needs to be streamlined and opened up.
post #4812 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

BC, I disagree that we shouldn't account for the situation at home when we consider whether or not to admit an immigrant, but, more practically, your position seems to rest on the assumption that standard immigration and refugee immigration are somehow zero sum. That's not the case, and they're really two different pools of applicants.

The shitshow that is US immigration policy (MrsG is an erstwhile furriner) is another question entirely, and I agree that it desperately needs to be streamlined and opened up.

 

I don't think it is zero sum.  What I'm saying is we allow x # of immigrants every year.  Then something happens in Syria or Cuba or wherever and we go "Well, if you're from Cuba, and you somehow make it here, you can stay forever.  Or we're going to allow y # of immigrants from country z because of some catastrophic event."

Well, now we a new queue that people who haven't been waiting for years get to jump into.


I'm not sure we want separate lines for different groups of people.  Let's clean up the shit show that is our immigration policy, let's let more people in, and let's have objective standards.

post #4813 of 5454
Every child of an immigrant will become a voting Democrat.

We have enough Democrats already.

We've already lost California.

We not only need to stop immigration, we need to deport at least 40 million immigrants.

I'll pick my own strawberries.
post #4814 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

I don't think it is zero sum.  What I'm saying is we allow x # of immigrants every year.  Then something happens in Syria or Cuba or wherever and we go "Well, if you're from Cuba, and you somehow make it here, you can stay forever.  Or we're going to allow y # of immigrants from country z because of some catastrophic event."


Well, now we a new queue that people who haven't been waiting for years get to jump into.


I'm not sure we want separate lines for different groups of people.  Let's clean up the shit show that is our immigration policy, let's let more people in, and let's have objective standards.

But that's not actually how it happens. People seeking asylum already have their own queue; no one trying to come in via the traditional route gets bumped because of refugees.
post #4815 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

The anti-refugee people are idiots, but that doesn't mean you counter their idiocy with idiocy of your own.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post

Every child of an immigrant will become a voting Democrat.

We have enough Democrats already.

We've already lost California.

We not only need to stop immigration, we need to deport at least 40 million immigrants.

I'll pick my own strawberries.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Stupid political crap your friends post on facebook.