or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Stupid political crap your friends post on facebook.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stupid political crap your friends post on facebook. - Page 248

post #3706 of 5454
Yeah but they promised riots after the Zim Zam trial and we got shit. Millenials in this country are fucking pussies.
post #3707 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

Yeah but they promised riots after the Zim Zam trial and we got shit. Millenials in this country are fucking pussies.

I think the lack of desire for rioting in this generation has a direct correlation with the rising affordability of big screen tvs. No need to risk life and limb if you can just buy one for a couple hundred bucks.
post #3708 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBrown85 View Post

In the 90s there were like 50 or 60 deaths during those LA riots. Canada riots for fucking hockey games. The restraint of our state in these situations is far more measure but let's not pretend we're that different.

I can't find how many of those deaths were caused by the police. Anybody know? Seems like most (all?) of them were caused by the rioters.

I think there's a pretty meaningful difference between police snipers shooting protesters during political protests and rioting. Exercises of force by the state against the public are much more significant than violence from the street. Getting pepper sprayed in the face by a cop is awful, but it's worlds apart from eating a bullet. There's a hard line there.

Interesting how willing America is to deploy lethal force in routine police operation vs protests. I can only think of a few isolated events in the 70s where protesters were shot.
post #3709 of 5454
I think ya'll are missing something in that pic...

In the Ukraine protestors pepper spray the police.
post #3710 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

I can't find how many of those deaths were caused by the police. Anybody know? Seems like most (all?) of them were caused by the rioters.

I think there's a pretty meaningful difference between police snipers shooting protesters during political protests and rioting. Exercises of force by the state against the public are much more significant than violence from the street. Getting pepper sprayed in the face by a cop is awful, but it's worlds apart from eating a bullet. There's a hard line there.

Interesting how willing America is to deploy lethal force in routine police operation vs protests. I can only think of a few isolated events in the 70s where protesters were shot.

Or you know, in the '80s when the cops dropped a bomb on them.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOVE

Edit

Or in the '90s when they just burned everybody to death.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branch_Davidians
post #3711 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

I think ya'll are missing something in that pic...

In the Ukraine protestors pepper spray the police.

post #3712 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

Yeah but they promised riots after the Zim Zam trial and we got shit. Millenials in this country are fucking pussies.

They are more interested in making $$$$$ than rioting.

It is not good for the drug trade..
post #3713 of 5454
I don't doubt that, every millenial I've met is a drug addict. And I don't mean respectable drugs like alcohol and clove cigarettes, I mean the hard stuff like weed.
post #3714 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

Or you know, in the '80s when the cops dropped a bomb on them.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOVE


Or in the '90s when they just burned everybody to death.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branch_Davidians


I'd never heard of the MOVE thing before. Interesting case. Using one pound bombs and the whole place goes up in flames.



With the increased militarization of police and their polarization away from viewing themselves as part of society, it seems like we're on our way towards a situation where a bunch of protesters get shot. Hopefully that's not what it takes to roll back that tide.
post #3715 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

I'd never heard of the MOVE thing before. Interesting case. Using one pound bombs and the whole place goes up in flames.

With the increased militarization of police and their polarization away from viewing themselves as part of society, it seems like we're on our way towards a situation where a bunch of protesters get shot. Hopefully that's not what it takes to roll back that tide.

The bolded portion is a very real concern that doesn't get nearly enough coverage. It's seriously frightening, and the only people who seem to talk about it are either well-informed and nuanced or conspiracy-theorist kooks, neither of which are the type of people mainstream American tends to heed. There's no middle-of-the road, I-get-my-news-and-opinions-from-the-local-paper contingent that seems to care about it, and that's a problem.
post #3716 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

The bolded portion is a very real concern that doesn't get nearly enough coverage. It's seriously frightening, and the only people who seem to talk about it are either well-informed and nuanced or conspiracy-theorist kooks, neither of which are the type of people mainstream American tends to heed. There's no middle-of-the road, I-get-my-news-and-opinions-from-the-local-paper contingent that seems to care about it, and that's a problem.

http://www.amazon.com/Rise-Warrior-Cop-Militarization-Americas/dp/1610392116/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393964645&sr=8-1&keywords=radley+balko
post #3717 of 5454
Ive been talking about it for years and I don't have a conspiracy blog. :/
post #3718 of 5454

Interesting. Might have to add that to my book queue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

Ive been talking about it for years and I don't have a conspiracy blog. :/

Well, I guess that makes you well-informed and nuanced, but that's the last compliment you're getting from me today!
post #3719 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

I'd never heard of the MOVE thing before. Interesting case. Using one pound bombs and the whole place goes up in flames.

Well, it should be noted that Philadelphia is a shithole that deserves to be firebombed. That incident was more of a public service, really.
post #3720 of 5454
If you want to get scared go to youtube and run a search like this:

illegal police check point

illegal police detainment

I'm not sure who scares me more, the cops or the guys driving around videoing themselves confronting cops.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Stupid political crap your friends post on facebook.