or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Stupid political crap your friends post on facebook.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stupid political crap your friends post on facebook. - Page 25

post #361 of 5454
422818_334063276629865_157390410963820_834705_1816437961_n.jpg

427658_333964273306432_157390410963820_834330_1877688449_n.jpg
They left out the part where defense contractors overwhelmingly support Romney over Paul.

423979_389375911091868_205344452828349_1424357_1149558073_n.jpg
Uh, wot

417089_333896423313217_157390410963820_834225_1234251258_n.jpg
Andromedans support Paul, Zeta Reticulans support Obama, Repiloids support Romney, get it?
post #362 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post

The main difference being that academics should primarily be concerned with the advancement of truth and wisdom in students, whereas a company's quest for workflow synergy isn't presupposed to exist in a forum of incorruptible enlightenment.

Don't you want academia to produce skilled workers? WTF happened to you?
post #363 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

Don't you want academia to produce skilled workers? WTF happened to you?

Producing skilled workers through academia is largely necessitated by the cost of education, so the burden of that cost isn't more cumbersome than the intellectual rewards of the degrees, which are usually relatively modest when compared with an intensive effort to educate one's self at nominal costs. If someone can find a way to go to college without paying a high cost, they're much more free to study whatever the hell they want, but that's decreasingly realistic, and the feigned comfort of student loans and government subsidies does little to enhance the effectiveness of an educational system that is full of green-eared teenagers who don't understand that their idealism is exploited by many of the same people who they blindly trust to receive said ideals from. It would be nice if the joke could be internalized on them alone, but that's not the case, so it's no longer funny watching students and taxpayers get eaten alive one humanities degree at a time.
post #364 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post

Producing skilled workers through academia is largely necessitated by the cost of education, so the burden of that cost isn't more cumbersome than the intellectual rewards of the degrees, which are usually relatively modest when compared with an intensive effort to educate one's self at nominal costs. If someone can find a way to go to college without paying a high cost, they're much more free to study whatever the hell they want, but that's decreasingly realistic, and the feigned comfort of student loans and government subsidies does little to enhance the effectiveness of an educational system that is full of green-eared teenagers who don't understand that their idealism is exploited by many of the same people who they blindly trust to receive said ideals from. It would be nice if the joke could be internalized on them alone, but that's not the case, so it's no longer funny watching students and taxpayers get eaten alive one humanities degree at a time.

I don't care about that spiel, but fuck the advancement on truth and wisdom, we create skilled workers, right?
post #365 of 5454
Drones who are only just educated enough to follow orders.
post #366 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

I don't care about that spiel, but fuck the advancement on truth and wisdom, we create skilled workers, right?

Right, bro.
post #367 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post

Producing skilled workers through academia is largely necessitated by the cost of education, so the burden of that cost isn't more cumbersome than the intellectual rewards of the degrees, which are usually relatively modest when compared with an intensive effort to educate one's self at nominal costs. If someone can find a way to go to college without paying a high cost, they're much more free to study whatever the hell they want, but that's decreasingly realistic, and the feigned comfort of student loans and government subsidies does little to enhance the effectiveness of an educational system that is full of green-eared teenagers who don't understand that their idealism is exploited by many of the same people who they blindly trust to receive said ideals from. It would be nice if the joke could be internalized on them alone, but that's not the case, so it's no longer funny watching students and taxpayers get eaten alive one humanities degree at a time.

I love you <3. I am stealing this, but I will give you proper credit in the bibliography.
post #368 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

Hmm no, you are fighting a windmill of your own design. I just find it EXTREMELY naive that someone would call for us to step out of history and our own education, the later going well beyond schooling and propose we do this through some vague, mystical soul channel. You can do this through double historicization (or similar approaches) and it still is but a patch to something you cannot really step out of.

I afraid I don't know what "double historicization" is, nor am I familiar with approaches similar to it.

Understand that not everyone is on the same page as you with regards to the existence of the "soul channel", nor the existence of an immutable human nature (I'm presuming here.) But it needn't even be mystical, nor do we need to "step out of history and our own education", as you say. Why can't you just consider the self something else to consider, even if, for some crazy reason, you believe our engagement with this self is mediated by the same symbols and structures we use to engage the world-out-there.
Quote:
Once again I certainly hope that by education he means the whole of socialization and not just school, but I am afraid it is a specific charge leveled at universities. I guess such debates are also useful and the purpose and practices of universities certainly need to be critically interrogated.

Critically interrogated for what purposes? If we were to make suggestions on how they could be improved, by what standard would would we measure this improvement? Is this standard something we can find by- *gasp*- peering through our mystical soul-channel!?!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

I don't care about that spiel, but fuck the advancement on truth and wisdom, we create skilled workers, right?

You gotta understand, for the average, non-trust-fund having Joe, truth and wisdom are great and all, but $40,000+ is a pretty hefty price tag for them, especially when all those same books are available for free at the library. I don't think anyone would claim that the acquisition of marketable skills is the only function of higher education, but as the cost of tuition gets more and more obscene, the acquisition of marketable skills should rightfully become a greater and greater priority.

Speaking of which, isn't "wisdom" really just more stupid right-wing essentialist thinking?
post #369 of 5454
If its about truth and wisdom why do academics like clouding the issue with long, complicated sentences filled with long, obscure words?
post #370 of 5454
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humphrey Appleby View Post

If its about truth and wisdom why do academics like clouding the issue with long, complicated sentences filled with long, obscure words?

You're not helping anyone here. Perhaps you and legoregel can go play somewhere?
post #371 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post

You're not helping anyone here. Perhaps you and legoregel can go play somewhere?

IMMODERATION!!
post #372 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post

You're not helping anyone here. Perhaps you and legoregel can go play somewhere?

Perhaps you can go fuck yourself?
post #373 of 5454
Just trying to get things started again. I'll see what stupid things are going on at teh facebook
post #374 of 5454
First year arts student. smh

Quote:
How does a housing bubble, and a market collapse, such as the one that wiped out $30 trillion in global wealth and caused the economic collapse of '08 that still has America living like a third world country happen? Let me explain

It starts with the central bank of a country offering mortgage-backed guarantees. Basically, if a bank loans you money for a mortgage, and you default (aren't able to pay it back), the bank doesn't lose any money because it's bailed out by the government. This happened famously in the US, with their $700 billion tarp bailout, but less widely known fact is that during that same period Canada had a $5 billion bailout of it's own of toxic mortgages.

Anyways, that's how it starts. This gives the incentives for banks to make a lot of risky loans. Walmart Greeter? Sure, you can have a $400,000 mortgage with a low interest rate (historically low interest rates also factor into this). What this ends up doing is pushing the housing prices way up. This is caused by widening the potential pool of buyers. Suddenly, when every Walmart greeter can buy a $400,000 house and compete with eachother, the price of the house climbs.. $500,000... $600,000. Before you know it, this house that was not worth much very long ago is now worth a LOT. Even more people begin to buy houses, as it's seen as a deal that cannot go wrong. Just by buying a house you can stand to make thousands of dollars a year.

The problem is that this is all predicated on debt--made up money.

So what happens is this. You purchase a house that was at one time worth $200,000, but now is 'worth' $400,000. So you take a loan out from a bank for $400,000. You can barely afford your mortage, but the pay is steady, so you continue to live making mortage payments, with the idea that in 50 years you will be paid off.

This is where shit starts to take a turn for the worst.

The economy starts to slow down. Factories begin to close their doors. Corporations move their jobs to 3rd world countries for cheap labor. All of a sudden that Walmart greeter, that union worker who could barely scrap by making his mortage payments is no longer able to make their payment.

They default. Their mortgage turns into garbage. The bank has to come and foreclose their home.

Once this starts it begins a terrible, terrible spiral. The demand for houses drops. Those people who were buying houses at record prices disappear. The housing prices begin to plummet. Now all those people who bought a $200,000 house at $400,000 default, lose their $200,000 in assets (the house) and are still $200,000 in debt. These foreclosed homes are unable to be sold, and they sit vacant, which drops the prices of the surrounding houses even further. Before you know it, families' entire wealth has disappeared. People are forced out onto the streets. This is what has happened in the US, where now 1/2 people are either living in poverty or considered 'low-income'.

And all of those other things, the factories closing, the foreclosures skyrocketing, the housing prices falling--they've all begun. I can cite multiple stories showing all of those beginning here in Canada.

I don't know what else to tell you. There are some dark times headed down the pipe. I don't say this because I'm a debbie downer, or focused on negativity. Far from it. I say it because it is the truth and I want it to be known. There are ways to insulate yourself against the risk of the housing collapse, but that's a story for another day. In the meantime, enjoy what you can, it's not promised that you will enjoy the quality of life you do now in the future.

Sadly, the ultimate burn of it all is that when these mortgages start to go belly-up, and people start to lose their homes, they will have to pay for it again. The government bank will be forced to bail out those banks which have made the faulty loans, which is a euphemism for the people being taxed to pay off the debt of the banks. (Think it can't happen? Google TARP bailout)

Yes, my friends. We were all born into an era. Sadly, but perhaps it is destiny, that we are slated to be the generation of the next Great Depression. We will not be the generation of surplus and plenty, but of frugality and resilience.... There's so much everyone needs to learn, but perhaps now is not the time. Enjoy yourself and your ability to elude reality while you still can, because very soon there will be no avoiding the harsh circumunstances we have been dealt.

As always, love--and goodnight
post #375 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazy View Post

First year arts student. smh
Quote:
How does a housing bubble, and a market collapse, such as the one that wiped out $30 trillion in global wealth and caused the economic collapse of '08 that still has America living like a third world country happen? Let me explain
It starts with the central bank of a country offering mortgage-backed guarantees. Basically, if a bank loans you money for a mortgage, and you default (aren't able to pay it back), the bank doesn't lose any money because it's bailed out by the government. This happened famously in the US, with their $700 billion tarp bailout, but less widely known fact is that during that same period Canada had a $5 billion bailout of it's own of toxic mortgages.
Anyways, that's how it starts. This gives the incentives for banks to make a lot of risky loans. Walmart Greeter? Sure, you can have a $400,000 mortgage with a low interest rate (historically low interest rates also factor into this). What this ends up doing is pushing the housing prices way up. This is caused by widening the potential pool of buyers. Suddenly, when every Walmart greeter can buy a $400,000 house and compete with eachother, the price of the house climbs.. $500,000... $600,000. Before you know it, this house that was not worth much very long ago is now worth a LOT. Even more people begin to buy houses, as it's seen as a deal that cannot go wrong. Just by buying a house you can stand to make thousands of dollars a year.
The problem is that this is all predicated on debt--made up money.
So what happens is this. You purchase a house that was at one time worth $200,000, but now is 'worth' $400,000. So you take a loan out from a bank for $400,000. You can barely afford your mortage, but the pay is steady, so you continue to live making mortage payments, with the idea that in 50 years you will be paid off.
This is where shit starts to take a turn for the worst.
The economy starts to slow down. Factories begin to close their doors. Corporations move their jobs to 3rd world countries for cheap labor. All of a sudden that Walmart greeter, that union worker who could barely scrap by making his mortage payments is no longer able to make their payment.
They default. Their mortgage turns into garbage. The bank has to come and foreclose their home.
Once this starts it begins a terrible, terrible spiral. The demand for houses drops. Those people who were buying houses at record prices disappear. The housing prices begin to plummet. Now all those people who bought a $200,000 house at $400,000 default, lose their $200,000 in assets (the house) and are still $200,000 in debt. These foreclosed homes are unable to be sold, and they sit vacant, which drops the prices of the surrounding houses even further. Before you know it, families' entire wealth has disappeared. People are forced out onto the streets. This is what has happened in the US, where now 1/2 people are either living in poverty or considered 'low-income'.
And all of those other things, the factories closing, the foreclosures skyrocketing, the housing prices falling--they've all begun. I can cite multiple stories showing all of those beginning here in Canada.
I don't know what else to tell you. There are some dark times headed down the pipe. I don't say this because I'm a debbie downer, or focused on negativity. Far from it. I say it because it is the truth and I want it to be known. There are ways to insulate yourself against the risk of the housing collapse, but that's a story for another day. In the meantime, enjoy what you can, it's not promised that you will enjoy the quality of life you do now in the future.
Sadly, the ultimate burn of it all is that when these mortgages start to go belly-up, and people start to lose their homes, they will have to pay for it again. The government bank will be forced to bail out those banks which have made the faulty loans, which is a euphemism for the people being taxed to pay off the debt of the banks. (Think it can't happen? Google TARP bailout)
Yes, my friends. We were all born into an era. Sadly, but perhaps it is destiny, that we are slated to be the generation of the next Great Depression. We will not be the generation of surplus and plenty, but of frugality and resilience.... There's so much everyone needs to learn, but perhaps now is not the time. Enjoy yourself and your ability to elude reality while you still can, because very soon there will be no avoiding the harsh circumunstances we have been dealt.
As always, love--and goodnight

I read 1 and a half paragraphs and had to stop.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Stupid political crap your friends post on facebook.