or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Stupid political crap your friends post on facebook.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stupid political crap your friends post on facebook. - Page 236

post #3526 of 5454
Admittedly, I'm a little rusty, but "reductio ad absurdum" usually refers to a legitimate form of argument, proof by contradiction. You know -- the square root of two isn't rational because if it was...something. It's not a fallacy.
post #3527 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

Admittedly, I'm a little rusty, but "reductio ad absurdum" usually refers to a legitimate form of argument, proof by contradiction. You know -- the square root of two isn't rational because if it was...something. It's not a fallacy.

This is indeed true. I've never heard of reductio ad absurdum treated as a fallacy before.
post #3528 of 5454
Fang is arguing from Critical Legal Theory which denounces logic as the tool of the rich, white, heteronormative hegemony.

Check your privilege.
post #3529 of 5454
I had someone tell me to check my white cis privilege. Then we banged.
post #3530 of 5454
You are correct gentlemen, it was simply a strawman, and I was the thick one.
post #3531 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhowie View Post

I had someone tell me to check my white cis privilege. Then we banged.

post #3532 of 5454
Well at least fang admits when he's wrong
post #3533 of 5454
Gentlemen, check your privilege. Wearing symbols from other cultures is a privilege.

http://everydayfeminism.com/2013/09/cultural-exchange-and-cultural-appropriation/
Quote:
"So as free as people should be to wear whatever hair and clothing they enjoy, using someone else’s cultural symbols to satisfy a personal need for self-expression is an exercise in privilege."
post #3534 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

Gentlemen, check your privilege. Wearing symbols from other cultures is a privilege.

http://everydayfeminism.com/2013/09/cultural-exchange-and-cultural-appropriation/

Does that mean a non-white wearing a suit and tie is appropriating my culture?
post #3535 of 5454
Women wearing pants need to check their privilege.
post #3536 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post

Does that mean a non-white wearing a suit and tie is appropriating my culture?

No. It means you have forced your culture upon them.
Quote:
Just because Indian Americans wear business suits doesn’t mean all Americans own bindis and saris. Just because some black Americans straighten their hair doesn’t mean all Americans own dreadlocks.
post #3537 of 5454
If I understand the unemployed 22 year old writer correctly, I'm not allowed to eat sushi while listening to L'il Wayne?
post #3538 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

No. It means you have forced your culture upon them.

Pio gets points for actually reading the article. Her point about the suit is valid within the parameters she sets out, she just fails to pass the "why should I care" test.
post #3539 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixOhNine View Post

If I understand the unemployed 22 year old writer correctly, I'm not allowed to eat sushi while listening to L'il Wayne?

You don't understand her correctly. Not that that means she has much of a point.
post #3540 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post

Pio gets points for actually reading the article. Her point about the suit is valid within the parameters she sets out, she just fails to pass the "why should I care" test.

She seems to feel "Western culture' is something entirely borrowed. She's wrong and guilty of the same shit she's bitching about.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Stupid political crap your friends post on facebook.