or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Stupid political crap your friends post on facebook.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stupid political crap your friends post on facebook. - Page 170

post #2536 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01 View Post

Is it irony or just coincidence, that there are an estimated 1.3 billion in poverty, and there are an estimated 1.2 billion Catholics? No, I don't think it is the only problem by any stretch, but the lack of contraceptives and abortions are fundamental to the mass poverty of the world.

No, it's totally a coincidence.



Not ironic either.
post #2537 of 5454
Good god, Alex you are an idiot. All my posts thus far have been witty and sarcastic, and as such do not reflect my thoughts. It is foolish to believe there is such a direct correlation between Catholicism and poverty.

A) Many Eastern European states have declining birth rates and are fairly religious (note that, most Orthodox churches also forbid contraception)

B) Population growth has declined in LA.

C) What about poverty in the Muslim world? Hindu dominated India? Both Islam and Hinduism, to my knowledge, do not forbid the use of contraceptives.

D) What about China and Mongolia? How exactly is the Catholic church responsible for poverty in these regions?

You're claim that the Catholic church is responsible for poverty for the reason that they forbid birth control is illogical. If such was the case, then one would expect to see high birthrates and poverty in all Catholic states.

I would find it doubtful that changing ideologies within the RCC would drastically change birth rates in Catholic majority African states.
post #2538 of 5454
Further, when arguing the RCC is responsible for growth rates in Africa (I'm assuming this is what we are talking about), what about the impact of traditional cultural practices? What I am saying is that, although many of these states are "Catholic", this does not mean that the populace has shed traditional values.
post #2539 of 5454
The Catholic Church absolutely encourages poverty as they know very well that they have had no growth in wealthy nations since, like, forever. However, they are mainly successful in continuing poverty in Catholic hot spots by supporting and teaching atrocious economic and trade policy, the same policy that they used to keep everybody poor during their hey dey. Their abortion policy is nothing compared to their beliefs on governance.

FWIW, child buggering aside, the US Catholic church is a wonderful institution, and functions as a religious organization should in many ways.
post #2540 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsstillmatt View Post

The Catholic Church absolutely encourages poverty as they know very well that they have had no growth in wealthy nations since, like, forever. However, they are mainly successful in continuing poverty in Catholic hot spots by supporting and teaching atrocious economic and trade policy, the same policy that they used to keep everybody poor during their hey dey. Their abortion policy is nothing compared to their beliefs on governance.

FWIW, child buggering aside, the US Catholic church is a wonderful institution, and functions as a religious organization should in many ways.

I'm not going to argue their economic policy, as you know my thoughts on that, but in this day and age saying it's the issue of BC as causation is pretty specious, IMO. Even in the developing world there's a host of NGOs dealing with that. Maybe I need to review some international data but I don't think it's a plethora of unwanted babies keeping these particular folks down.
post #2541 of 5454

Of course, there are very old-time cultural and tribal practices, that hold Africans back, from accepting contraceptives. I, also, think education in this area is obviously needed, and that it would take a long time for Africa to decrease it's birth rate. That being said, the Catholic Church plays a huge role in Africa--also in many states where homosexually is illegal, and they kill anyone who admits to or is suspected of being a homosexual--and places like South America. Honestly, to say it wouldn't help, if the Church said contraceptives were allowed, is bind-blowing dumb.

 

In places like India/the Middle East, we have huge women's rights violations (or a complete lack of them): Women are expected to marry whom they do not wish, and are, therefore, raped in non-consensual sex. Woman are, also, treated as the scum of the Earth--largely due to religious and cultural beliefs in the area (Muslim/Hindu/whatever).

 

Of course, traditions and cultural practices cannot be wiped out in a day, but my point is: With education, these issues can be sharply subverted. With religion in the way, of course, we have an almost impossible job on our hands, as, with the inclusion of a supreme deity, we have God to fight, too. That is my point: God makes otherwise intelligent practices often impossible. We all know contraception and women's rights (right of marriage/birth rights/abortion/etc.) are the only way, to lower the birth rate of the world, and decrease poverty, ergo, sharply. Why is this being argued? I find it a bit sickening, that so many of you are calling me dumb on this point.

post #2542 of 5454
If you're so obviously right where's the data?

Unicorns are pink. We all know unicorns are a brilliant shade of neon pink. Why is this being argued? I find it a bit sickening that a human being can type such moronic shit.
post #2543 of 5454
JapanAlex, do you talk in the same way you write, with all of those pauses (commas)? It is really distracting.
post #2544 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

If you're so obviously right where's the data?

Unicorns are pink. We all know unicorns are a brilliant shade of neon pink. Why is this being argued? I find it a bit sickening that a human being can type such moronic shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by js4design View Post

JapanAlex, do you talk in the same way you write, with all of those pauses (commas)? It is really distracting.

Would you guys call it bind-blowing?
post #2545 of 5454
Haha.

Dun, dun, dun!

http://www.care.org/getinvolved/advocacy/pdfs/whyempowerwomen.pdf
post #2546 of 5454
I think JA may be on to something regarding a causal relationship between Catholicism and poverty, actually, and I have a personal, firsthand example: My brother converted to Catholicism last year and started law school the following fall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01 View Post

Of course, there are very old-time cultural and tribal practices, that hold Africans back, from accepting contraceptives. I, also, think education in this area is obviously needed, and that it would take a long time for Africa to decrease it's birth rate. That being said, the Catholic Church plays a huge role in Africa--also in many states where homosexually is illegal, and they kill anyone who admits to or is suspected of being a homosexual--and places like South America. Honestly, to say it wouldn't help, if the Church said contraceptives were allowed, is bind-blowing dumb.

In places like India/the Middle East, we have huge women's rights violations (or a complete lack of them): Women are expected to marry whom they do not wish, and are, therefore, raped in non-consensual sex. Woman are, also, treated as the scum of the Earth--largely due to religious and cultural beliefs in the area (Muslim/Hindu/whatever).

Of course, traditions and cultural practices cannot be wiped out in a day, but my point is: With education, these issues can be sharply subverted. With religion in the way, of course, we have an almost impossible job on our hands, as, with the inclusion of a supreme deity, we have God to fight, too. That is my point: God makes otherwise intelligent practices often impossible. We all know contraception and women's rights (right of marriage/birth rights/abortion/etc.) are the only way, to lower the birth rate of the world, and decrease poverty, ergo, sharply. Why is this being argued? I find it a bit sickening, that so many of you are calling me dumb on this point.

The rest of the world should be very grateful that free-thinking radicals like you exist to help civilize them!
post #2547 of 5454
We all know that what the third world needs to do to eradicate poverty is to lower tax rates. All reasonable people agree on that.
post #2548 of 5454
post #2549 of 5454
post #2550 of 5454
I'm not clicking the link. http://youtu.be/27v72xSWFxs

The title was: Europe Attempts to Tax Bank Accounts in Cyprus. Is America Next?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Stupid political crap your friends post on facebook.