or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Stupid political crap your friends post on facebook.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stupid political crap your friends post on facebook. - Page 155

post #2311 of 5454
A bunch of people are up in arms about some Audi commercial that was on the Super Bowl last night where some kid walks up and kisses the prom queen. Audi is apparently promoting sexual assault.
post #2312 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post

A bunch of people are up in arms about some Audi commercial that was on the Super Bowl last night where some kid walks up and kisses the prom queen. Audi is apparently promoting sexual assault.

These people are technically known as fuckstix.
post #2313 of 5454
The Audi commercial actually did make me cringe, but probably not for quite the same reasons.

So did many other commercials. The whole SB commercial thing has really gotten out of control. Awful, most of them.

Apparently there's also backlash about the Coke commercial from Arab groups.
post #2314 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

The Audi commercial actually did make me cringe, but probably not for quite the same reasons.

So did many other commercials. The whole SB commercial thing has really gotten out of control. Awful, most of them.

Apparently there's also backlash about the Coke commercial from Arab groups.

The Audi commercial most certainly promoted douchebaggery. They know their market, after all. The whole "he sexually assaulted her!!!!!!!!1111" thing is over the top, though. It's boorish behavior sure, but the girl will recover.
post #2315 of 5454
How many feminists does it take to drive an Audi?
































THAT'S NOT FUNNY!
post #2316 of 5454
at least 6 or 8, if it's a manual.
post #2317 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post

The Audi commercial most certainly promoted douchebaggery. They know their market, after all. The whole "he sexually assaulted her!!!!!!!!1111" thing is over the top, though. It's boorish behavior sure, but the girl will recover.

It's quite clear in the commercial she liked it. Surprised people aren't outraged that the commercial promotes sending mixed signals.
post #2318 of 5454
Audi knows what its doing. Remember the talk after the "Green Police" commercial?

As far as ownership rolls, I haven't notice Audi attracting crappy people. (And no, I don't own an Audi).
post #2319 of 5454
Maybe I'm not as forward-thinking as I'd like to believe I am when it comes to gender issues, but I saw nothing wrong with the Audi commercial. I really thought it was all in good fun.
post #2320 of 5454
Audi commercial, interpreted:

Hey, lonely nerds who didn't get any in high school because you were shy and reclusive, and probably still are, and harbor resentments towards the people who navigated the social waters of teenagedom better than you did: Buy an Audi, because it's "brave," and maybe you too someday will gin up the courage to talk to an attractive woman. And if you have somehow managed to settle down and have children, make sure they have a good material badge to flash at their prom so they don't go through the same torture you did, nevermind that allowing that sort of behavior is the kind of thing that makes them insecure douchebags.
post #2321 of 5454
Meh. I think that's reading into it way too much. At the very least, it's holding Audi to a standard above that to which we hold other advertisers. I mean, aren't all commercials, especially for items that position themselves as aspirational brands, pretty much selling some sort of "buy this and mitigate your shortcomings/unhappiness" BS?

Basically, that commercial was a new take on the "buying this product will get you laid" trope, and, truth be told, it wasn't really all that unique, given "having a sweet car will pull you tail" is at least as old as Grease.
post #2322 of 5454
Forget the corporations involved; I think the actors need to have actions filed against them.
post #2323 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Forget the corporations involved; I think the actors need to have actions filed against them.

Actors aren't people. Haven't you read Citizens United?
post #2324 of 5454
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Steven Chu shared a link.
2 hours ago
I just want everyone to know that my decision not to serve a second term as Energy Secretary has absolutely nothing to do with the allegations made in this week’s edition of the Onion. While I’m not going to confirm or deny the charges specifically, I will say that clean, renewable solar power is a growing source of U.S. jobs and is becoming more and more affordable, so it’s no surprise that lots of Americans are falling in love with solar.

http://www.facebook.com/stevenchu?ref=ts&fref=ts
post #2325 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

Meh. I think that's reading into it way too much. At the very least, it's holding Audi to a standard above that to which we hold other advertisers. I mean, aren't all commercials, especially for items that position themselves as aspirational brands, pretty much selling some sort of "buy this and mitigate your shortcomings/unhappiness" BS?

Basically, that commercial was a new take on the "buying this product will get you laid" trope, and, truth be told, it wasn't really all that unique, given "having a sweet car will pull you tail" is at least as old as Grease.

Same exact trope employed by the following (disgusting) GoDaddy commercial.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Stupid political crap your friends post on facebook.