or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Stupid political crap your friends post on facebook.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stupid political crap your friends post on facebook. - Page 96

post #1426 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

I, for one, welcome anyone's right to open a chicken franchise, regardless if they are a Grand Wazoo or Grand Wizard or even a Padawan learner.

Well chicken is awesome.
post #1427 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang66 View Post

As far as politicians preventing him from opening a store in their respective cities, if they were doing that outside the rule of law then I would not support them, however I don't think they are. (Are they?)
A political leader standing up and saying I don't want this business in my city because it is run by a homophobe is not the same as actually stopping the business from opening.

The situation I'm very familiar with is the one occurring in Chicago. Alderman Joe Moreno of the Logan Square neighborhood first responded to Chik-fil-A's desire to open a store in his ward by saying that he wouldn't allow them to do so because of the owner's stance on homosexuality. Mayor Emmanuel echoed his sentiments. They are both backtracking now, but Alderman Moreno is still threatening to prevent construction of the store by refusing to subdivide the land unless Chik-fil-A supplies a written anti-discrimination policy. There has never been a discrimination concern raised against Chik-fil-A.
Quote:
Would you feel the same way if the Grand Wazoo of the KKK wanted to open a business in your town and the mayor stood up and said "Hey we don't want you bastards here"? As long as the Mayor/s follow the rule of law then I don't have a problem with them trying to stop the business from opening. Then if the people agree or disagree with him it'll show at the next election.

If the Grand-Wazoo owned business follows the anti-segregation laws of its local, then I have no problem with allowing it to open. I don't think I'd patronize that business, and I suspect it's lifetime would be short because of others doing the same.

Now I'll ask you a question:

Consider XYZ, Inc. wants to open a store in Everytown. The mayor of Everytown is Christian. The owner of XYZ, Inc. is on the record as stating the following:
"I believe that religion is often a smoke screen for homophobia and the religious pick and choose which tenets they follow based on non-religious motivations."
The Everytown mayor then prevents the new XYZ, Inc. store from opening in his city, validating his decision on moral grounds.

Are you ok with the mayor's decision?
post #1428 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken View Post

The situation I'm very familiar with is the one occurring in Chicago. Alderman Joe Moreno of the Logan Square neighborhood first responded to Chik-fil-A's desire to open a store in his ward by saying that he wouldn't allow them to do so because of the owner's stance on homosexuality. Mayor Emmanuel echoed his sentiments. They are both backtracking now, but Alderman Moreno is still threatening to prevent construction of the store by refusing to subdivide the land unless Chik-fil-A supplies a written anti-discrimination policy. There has never been a discrimination concern raised against Chik-fil-A.
If the Grand-Wazoo owned business follows the anti-segregation laws of its local, then I have no problem with allowing it to open. I don't think I'd patronize that business, and I suspect it's lifetime would be short because of others doing the same.
Now I'll ask you a question:
Consider XYZ, Inc. wants to open a store in Everytown. The mayor of Everytown is Christian. The owner of XYZ, Inc. is on the record as stating the following:
"I believe that religion is often a smoke screen for homophobia and the religious pick and choose which tenets they follow based on non-religious motivations."
The Everytown mayor then prevents the new XYZ, Inc. store from opening in his city, validating his decision on moral grounds.
Are you ok with the mayor's decision?

Prevents? No, opposes yes, but it is a bit of a false equivalence. "I believe that religion is often a smoke screen for homophobia and the religious pick and choose which tenets they follow based on non-religious motivations." is different from "religious people should be denied rights because of their religion".

Also if Alderman Moreno is "still threatening to prevent construction of the store by refusing to subdivide the land unless Chik-fil-A supplies a written anti-discrimination policy", what's the problem? There may not have been a discrimination concern raised against Chik-fil-A in the past, but it would seem there currently are legitimate concerns and asking for a written anti-discrimination policy seems like a reasonable and non-prohibitive request.
post #1429 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang66 View Post


Also if Alderman Moreno is "still threatening to prevent construction of the store by refusing to subdivide the land unless Chik-fil-A supplies a written anti-discrimination policy", what's the problem? There may not have been a discrimination concern raised against Chik-fil-A in the past, but it would seem there currently are legitimate concerns and asking for a written anti-discrimination policy seems like a reasonable and non-prohibitive request.

Unless the alderman requires that from every single business he is being discriminatory himself.
post #1430 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Unless the alderman requires that from every single business he is being discriminatory himself.

True, seems like a good idea.
post #1431 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang66 View Post

True, seems like a good idea.

If you stand by this statement, and would allow a Christian alderman to demand a written anti-discrimination policy from an atheist-owned business, then that's fine.

But the next argument is whether or not it really is a good idea. In my opinion, no. Red tape, and all that jazz...
post #1432 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken View Post

If you stand by this statement, and would allow a Christian alderman to demand a written anti-discrimination policy from an atheist-owned business, then that's fine.
But the next argument is whether or not it really is a good idea. In my opinion, no. Red tape, and all that jazz...

Your first point, of course. And as above, if an atheist business owner was supporting discrimination against Christians then I would give equal support to a Mayor who spoke out against the business.

Second, maybe it isn't a good idea because as you say red tape and all, but it is just one more piece of that tape.
post #1433 of 5454
post #1434 of 5454
post #1435 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4design View Post


One of these is awesome, and one is hideous. I'll leave the specifics to your imagination.
post #1436 of 5454
ROFL




Done by yours truly,
24173977.jpg
post #1437 of 5454
The thing is, these mayors can't keep a Chik fil a out and wouldn't if they could. It's just grandstanding in an attempt to score a few quick points exploiting the overblown, internet-based outrage du jour. I think the whole thing has already blown over.
post #1438 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post

The thing is, these mayors can't keep a Chik fil a out and wouldn't if they could. It's just grandstanding in an attempt to score a few quick points exploiting the overblown, internet-based outrage du jour. I think the whole thing has already blown over.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/wendys-wants-consumers-to-know-its-fine-with-gays,28985/
post #1439 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post

The thing is, these mayors can't keep a Chik fil a out and wouldn't if they could. It's just grandstanding in an attempt to score a few quick points exploiting the overblown, internet-based outrage du jour. I think the whole thing has already blown over.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/wendys-wants-consumers-to-know-its-fine-with-gays,28985/

Lulz:
Quote:
"Just like our founder Dave Thomas, we dream of living in an America where two loving people of the same sex can freely wed, provided of course that both people are also of the same race, and that no black, Asian, Latin American, or other non-European heritage is allowed to de-purify the white racial bloodline."


Teh gheys? They don't breed with each other.

Somehow I think they put a little humour into that blurb they didn't mean to.
post #1440 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post

ROFL


Done by yours truly,
24173977.jpg
TINY = one sixth. Duchess's maths skills facepalm.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Stupid political crap your friends post on facebook.