or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Help me choose a Cordovan Wingtip Bal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help me choose a Cordovan Wingtip Bal

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
I'm leaning toward a pair of AE Cambridge (I've even posted a WTB). Before I bite the bullet though, especially since gently used in my size (10 EE) seem to be rare, and I'll be paying over $400 for new, I want to consider other options.

I'm aware of Alden
http://www.aldenshoes.com/Store/DrawProducts.aspx?CategoryID=95&ParentID=94&PageID=&Action=
but I think I like the Cambridge a bit better.

Carmina is beautiful, but if the pair on B&S right now are any guide, they're probably more than I want to spend, even used.

Are there other options you would suggest I consider? I'm mainly interested in thoughts about oxfords (there was a blucher centric thread like this one several years ago). AE has numerous factors in its favor (I have actually been able to try on the last and determine a size for one thing), but let's blow up my decision making process by adding candidates!
post #2 of 17
The Alden is on the Tremont last, which differs enormously from the Cambridge's 5 last. The 5 is a sleek city shoe last; the Tremont is a chunky country shoe last.

They're both a stylistic mix: the Cambridge has a sleek last and chunky brogueing; the Tremont has a chunky last and sleek, refined brogueing.

If you want a city last, refined brogueing, and a double leather sole, look at the Crockett and Jones Finsbury 2 in dark brown shell. More expensive than the AE or the Alden, I fear.
post #3 of 17
there are very few wingtip bals in shell. I would recommend the Carmina if you can afford it, if not, you have your other mentioned options. Purely personal preference.

If you are not stuck on wingtips I would then far prefer a plain captoe Alden in cigar, or the brogue captoe AE Strand in brown shell.
post #4 of 17
Check out the Carminas in my sig. Would be willing to come down on asking price. As for the width though, seems to be pretty standard D. Not sure if you've tried up sizing up 1/2 to address width with other shoes. Seems to work for some other folks.
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddieriley View Post

Check out the Carminas in my sig. Would be willing to come down on asking price. As for the width though, seems to be pretty standard D. Not sure if you've tried up sizing up 1/2 to address width with other shoes. Seems to work for some other folks.

I have sized up for width - in fact once upon a time (pre-SF) I thought I was an 11 because of sizing up. I end up not liking the fit from heel to ball, blah blah blah, so I think I'm going to try to stick to proper width from now on. I know that outsole measurements are not a great guide, but I just compared what you gave to the Bayfields I have on today, and they come in at about 4 1/2, so I don't think the Carminas will work. Thanks for trying though, if they had fit I would have probably wanted everything in your sig.shog[1].gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testudo_Aubreii View Post

The Alden is on the Tremont last, which differs enormously from the Cambridge's 5 last. The 5 is a sleek city shoe last; the Tremont is a chunky country shoe last.
They're both a stylistic mix: the Cambridge has a sleek last and chunky brogueing; the Tremont has a chunky last and sleek, refined brogueing.
If you want a city last, refined brogueing, and a double leather sole, look at the Crockett and Jones Finsbury 2 in dark brown shell. More expensive than the AE or the Alden, I fear.

This is interesting and helpful. I'll at least pay attention to the Finsbury. The "2" just means that it's Shell, right? I'll poke around the rest of SF to find the answer, but for anyone with perosnal experience with these shoes, which C&J fitting is closest to my AE width - E in everything except the 5 last, where I preferr EE?
post #6 of 17
If you mean cordovan colored this is what I went with:

263 Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
263
263
263
263

I'm not really a fan of shell if that's what you meant.
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORE View Post

If you mean cordovan colored this is what I went with:
263 Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
263
263
263
263
I'm not really a fan of shell if that's what you meant.

Are those EG? They look like the ones of the BB website.
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidus View Post

Are those EG? They look like the ones of the BB website.

Yup and they do sell these on the BB site. I picked up this pair from a fellow member when Saks had a sale. $500 NIB.

Sorry, I forgot to post the money shot:

263
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
NORE, those are fabulous. I was talking about shell, but if I see an amazing deal on those I might have to reconsider.
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeH View Post

NORE, those are fabulous. I was talking about shell, but if I see an amazing deal on those I might have to reconsider.

They are awesome. What size are you.
post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 
In AE - 10.5 E (except the 5 last, 10 EE). In EG I don't know. Still a beginner.
post #12 of 17

I just dont like the colour options available for the pair you have linked in the start.... any light brown tone pairs?

 

Toronto Men Street Fashion Blog

http://lucidato.tumblr.com

 

post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeH View Post

In AE - 10.5 E (except the 5 last, 10 EE). In EG I don't know. Still a beginner.

On the AE #5 last I am a 12.5D & my EG size is 12/12.5E so I'm guessing you may be able to fit into an EG 10/10.5E. Or a 9.5/10F if that size exists.

Note: EG sizing is marked as English/American (followed by a letter denoting) Width.
post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 
Interesting.
So does BB actually stock these (or other EG) so that I'd be able to try on, or is it strictly special order? I assume here in Milwaukee it would definitely be special order (after convincing them that it exists) but maybe in Chicago or NYC?

Who am I kidding, I'm not likely to get them, but it would be nice to consider.
post #15 of 17
I believe they are regular stock. Check the website and order a couple of pairs to get the fit right and send back the ones that don't work. FWIW these (I pictured) are on the 888 last and I believe in a D width (for American stores) so it might not be an ideal fit for you. I took the 12.5/13D and they worked great. Another pair I had from RLPL in the same size just didn't work so YMMV.

I would suggest checking ebay as they come up in your size range pretty regularly albeit in different styles.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Help me choose a Cordovan Wingtip Bal