or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What particular "staple" items do you refuse/tend not to wear?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What particular "staple" items do you refuse/tend not to wear? - Page 7

post #91 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post

I don't get the bias against black shoes. Perhaps it's from the connotations of uniform, and therefore now considered menial in the modern context? Or that black hides the grain or outward measure of quality of the leather and therefore makes shoes look cheap?

 

I think what may be being forgotten is that many suit details that were once considered "rakish" by their being derived from country or what formerly passed for casual wear - like hacking pockets, outside ticket pockets, turnups and so on - are now seen as "fancy" and therefore more formal by the modern imagination. Rather like how a suntan is now seen as a sign of leisure time and therefore wealth, whereas in former times was associated with hard labor outdoors.

 

Huh, wait I'm confusing threads...

 

 


I can't speak for others... but the reason I don't like black has nothing to do with that.

 

I'm a pale ass white boy. I look bad in black, either it makes me look like I'm goth or a cartoon character. That annoys me enough that I don't wear black even in small quantities.

 

thats all.

 

post #92 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by the shah View Post

leather jacket

But you're Persian. puzzled.gif
post #93 of 101
I don't use pocket squares. Sorry, but I just won't.
post #94 of 101
Wearing a pocket square is the best way to announce that you are trying too hard.
post #95 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by username79 View Post

Wearing a pocket square is the best way to announce that you are trying too hard.


^^What this man said.

post #96 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by username79 View Post

Wearing a pocket square is the best way to announce that you are trying too hard.

Do me a favor and never try to agree with me. OK?
post #97 of 101
I use the breast pocket for my cell phone - it's the best spot for this stupid device I have to carry around and in general the use of pocket squares is to me an entrance to a rabbit hole that I do not want to slide down into. Lastly, I take my coat off when I get to work, so the investment into squares on many levels is not worth it.
post #98 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

I use the breast pocket for my cell phone - it's the best spot for this stupid device I have to carry around and in general the use of pocket squares is to me an entrance to a rabbit hole that I do not want to slide down into. Lastly, I take my coat off when I get to work, so the investment into squares on many levels is not worth it.

What's your avatar?
post #99 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

I use the breast pocket for my cell phone - it's the best spot for this stupid device I have to carry around and in general the use of pocket squares is to me an entrance to a rabbit hole that I do not want to slide down into. Lastly, I take my coat off when I get to work, so the investment into squares on many levels is not worth it.

Being crotchety about mobile phones is a hallmark of pocket square elites.
Edited by acridsheep - 1/30/12 at 9:08pm
post #100 of 101
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by username79 View Post

Wearing a pocket square is the best way to announce that you are trying too hard.


Nup.

post #101 of 101
Thread Starter 

I disagree.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What particular "staple" items do you refuse/tend not to wear?