or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Is RIM done for?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is RIM done for? - Page 6

post #76 of 89
We still on pg3 quit being a noob 40ppp ftw !
post #77 of 89
6 pgs later and the answer is still "yes".
post #78 of 89
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopho View Post

6 pgs later and the answer is still "yes".

crackup[1].gif
post #79 of 89
Thread Starter 
I think what BB should do (and they won't) is to get out of the handset hardware business altogether and just provide super secure email and document services for enterprise solutions. Ex: an email app for Android, iOS, MS Mobile, etc... that goes through their secure servers just like BB Mail.

Also they could have an app that does what dropbox does, but using BB's secure / encryption servers. And since it's enterprise, they can charge $$$ for their services.

Also:

http://www.gsmarena.com/leaked_rim_roadmap_reveals_a_really_boring_2012-news-3731.php
Quote:
Leaked RIM roadmap reveals a really boring 2012

A recently leaked RIM roadmap reveals all the upcoming BlackBerries for 2012. Unfortunately there is nothing really interesting scheduled before November this year.

facepalm.gif
Edited by imageWIS - 1/29/12 at 6:06pm
post #80 of 89
Swype really mitigated the physical keyboard factor for me. Really don't miss it at all, especially at the cost of a much thicker phone or a much smaller screen.
post #81 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by the shah View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
variety :
1 iphone, different storage capabilities , re-realsed model with S branding
more than 1 model blackberry , all have slots for expanding storage biggrin.gif
battery :
Battery & Battery Life
1230 mAh removable/rechargeable lithium-ion battery
BlackBerry Bold 9930
CDMA Talk Time: up to 6.6 hours
CDMA Standby Time: up to 12.8 days
GSM Talk Time: up to 6.3 hours
GSM Standby Time: up to 12.8 days
UMTS Talk Time: up to 5.9 hours
UMTS Standby Time: up to 12.8 days
Audio Playback Time: up to 50 hours
Video Playback Time: up to 7.4 hours
BlackBerry Bold 9900
GSM Talk Time: up to 6.3 hours
GSM Standby Time: up to 12.8 days
UMTS Talk Time: up to 5.9 hours
UMTS Standby Time: up to 12.8 days
Audio Playback Time: up to 50 hours
Video Playback Time: up to 7.4 hours
Carrier Networks
BlackBerry Bold 9930
Dual-Band: 800 / 1900 MHz CDMA/EVDO Rev A networks
Quad-Band: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz GSM/
GPRS/EDGE networks
Dual-Band: 2100 / 900 MHz UMTS/HSPA networks
HSDPA : 14.4 Mbps
HSUPA : 5.76 Mbps
BlackBerry Bold 9900
UMTS: 2100/1900/850/800 MHz or 2100/1700/900 MHz
GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900
HSDPA: 14.4 Mbps
HSUPA: 5.76 Mbps
Near Field Communication
Operating Modes: accessory pairing and smart tag reading/writing
BB is winnar !
so if you want a toy go iphone if you want a functional secure phone with touchscreen adn keyboard 9930 it is
not sure how prevalent it is but is companies are still giving bb to employees there's still a huge biniss market so won't go under.

I'm not a big app user but the combination of a touchscreen w. a great keyboard makes the BB whatever I am using a great choice.
post #82 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

Swype really mitigated the physical keyboard factor for me. Really don't miss it at all, especially at the cost of a much thicker phone or a much smaller screen.

Yeah I converted from a Blackberry to the original Droid with slideout keyboard. After Swype, never used the keyboard again. Wish I had a lighter phone now.
post #83 of 89
Thread Starter 
Just when I think I'm out, the news media pulls me back in:

http://www.slashgear.com/blackberry-squeezed-out-of-enterprise-say-stats-30211227/
Quote:
BlackBerry squeezed out of Enterprise say stats

RIM‘s new CEO faces a dual-challenge, Apple in North America and the ascendence of Samsung in Europe, according new research, though BlackBerry is a surprise hold-out in the UK. “Android and Apple together are eating BlackBerry’s lunch” Forrester Research analyst Frank Gillett said of the smartphone pincer-movement, the NYTimes reports, with global stats indicating 27-percent of smartphone users have an Android device and 24-percent an iPhone. BlackBerry slots in-between, at 26-percent, but enterprise users are progressively looking elsewhere from previous business darlings RIM.
post #84 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

I'm not a big app user but the combination of a touchscreen w. a great keyboard makes the BB whatever I am using a great choice.

Same here. I have the Bold 9900 and prefer this over the Android. I'm not a big app user so the limited app thing for BB doesn't bother me.
post #85 of 89
I have been a BB user for years (since '03), ever since I ditched my Palm so I wouldn't have to carry two devices. All I use it (currently a 9700) for is e-mail, phone, and contacts; rarely texting or BBM. Even more rarely the browser, which I think sucks.

I have a Playbook too, which I use mainly as a wifi browser (though occasionally "bridged" through my handset if I am, say, on the sidelines of one of my son's practices or something) and as an e-reader (Kobo app). I actually like the browser.

My wife is probably going to get an iPad in the next month or so, which will be the first Apple device to enter the sanctity of our home -- I guess I will have a better idea of what the fuss is all about when I get a chance to try it out.
post #86 of 89
I'd definitely take a BB over Android. iPhone is reasonably nice, and the eco-system of accessories is just ridiculous (as in when you rent a car, you may get an iPhone plug-in but you will rarely get anything else, even in Ford Sync cars).

So far, I haven't tried any of the cases with external keyboards, but I have been thinking about one since it would really be the best, when you are out for the night, ditch the case and just have the touchscreen, but during the day, have access to a keyboard.

The only phone that would possibly get me to defect are the new WM7 phones, but they are just too late to the game to gain traction right now and my firm doesn't support them.
post #87 of 89
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post

I'd definitely take a BB over Android. iPhone is reasonably nice, and the eco-system of accessories is just ridiculous (as in when you rent a car, you may get an iPhone plug-in but you will rarely get anything else, even in Ford Sync cars).
So far, I haven't tried any of the cases with external keyboards, but I have been thinking about one since it would really be the best, when you are out for the night, ditch the case and just have the touchscreen, but during the day, have access to a keyboard.
The only phone that would possibly get me to defect are the new WM7 phones, but they are just too late to the game to gain traction right now and my firm doesn't support them.

In what way? Email? confused.gif
post #88 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post

Just when I think I'm out, the news media pulls me back in:
http://www.slashgear.com/blackberry-squeezed-out-of-enterprise-say-stats-30211227/
Quote:
BlackBerry squeezed out of Enterprise say stats
RIM‘s new CEO faces a dual-challenge, Apple in North America and the ascendence of Samsung in Europe, according new research, though BlackBerry is a surprise hold-out in the UK. “Android and Apple together are eating BlackBerry’s lunch” Forrester Research analyst Frank Gillett said of the smartphone pincer-movement, the NYTimes reports, with global stats indicating 27-percent of smartphone users have an Android device and 24-percent an iPhone. BlackBerry slots in-between, at 26-percent, but enterprise users are progressively looking elsewhere from previous business darlings RIM.

C-levels want the Apple products (such as CIO's) which push the enterprise to move to those devices.

208

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/28/forrester-apple-makes-strides-into-businesses-users-iwork-hard/
post #89 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post

In what way? Email? confused.gif

Yep... they won't authorize a WM device for email which is a shame.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Is RIM done for?