or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Networking
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Networking

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
A few years ago, while I was a young, naive college student and networking trying to get a job, I cold-emailed an alum from my school who had a very senior position at a very large investment bank. Incredibly nice guy, had me in his office for a pretty lengthy chat, and while we exchanged a couple more friendly emails we haven't been in touch for a few years.

Fast-forward three years and I'm working in banking and hate it. I like finance but want to explore something different than my current position. I'd like to reach out to this guy but don't want to come off as too forward (which a college kid can get away with). At the same time, I don't want to seem too clueless ("I was wondering if you could talk about some opportunities that might be available outside my narrow part of the business") because I know what those other avenues are and anyone with a couple years experience in banking should too.

So how can I approach this guy without seeming like the needy d-bag I am?
post #2 of 11
You've missed a great chance over Christmas & New Year. Could've sent him a Card or E-card to start off with something casual & warm.
Have you added him on Linkedin? That is an option to open up a conversation. Otherwise, just send him an email to say Hi and be genuine.

Just my 2 cents.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Cheers,
Prime
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post

You've missed a great chance over Christmas & New Year. Could've sent him a Card or E-card to start off with something casual & warm.
Have you added him on Linkedin? That is an option to open up a conversation. Otherwise, just send him an email to say Hi and be genuine.
Just my 2 cents.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Cheers,
Prime

Send an e-card? Linked In? facepalm.gif
post #4 of 11
^ he's asking for what kind of message to craft; not what medium to send it through.
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelF View Post

Send an e-card? Linked In? facepalm.gif

The effort was appreciated but I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks those would have been bad ideas.

I've started an email with "blah blah, hope this note finds you well. We met a few years ago when I was a college student and you were kind enough to take the time to chat about your career. I'm currently doing xxx at yyy but would like to try something different."

Where to go from here?
post #6 of 11
^ what would you recommend OP do instead?
post #7 of 11
I dunno, what's wrong with "I'm considering x y and z as possible next steps and would definitely appreciate your thoughts or suggestions."
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelF View Post

I dunno, what's wrong with "I'm considering x y and z as possible next steps and would definitely appreciate your thoughts or suggestions."

Exactly. If the location is convenient I would event throw in "Can I buy you lunch and have a chat?"
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhood View Post

Exactly. If the location is convenient I would event throw in "Can I buy you lunch and have a chat?"

Lunch is always a good icebreaker. Say something along th lines like "I appreciated your help in talking to me (whenever that was) and never really had the chance to say thanks.
post #10 of 11
This topic will be super helpful because I just remembered some responses from alumni I've reached out to.

I haven't gotten back to them in a few months, but let's see how this topic pans out first.

Btw - I'm a college student, so I guess my situation is a little bit different.
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post

Btw - I'm a college student, so I guess my situation is a little bit different.


 

Never too late to start getting in touch with people. You'll be surprise what they can do for you.

 

Getting back to the question at hand, i would suggest a friendly lunch invitation to catch up? When you guys settle, gradually discuss about business opportunities?

 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Networking