or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Tailor ruined my suit jacket
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tailor ruined my suit jacket

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

I took my suit to get tailored to a new tailor and when I picked it up the was a glue stain on the back approximately 2-3 inches below the collar and one inch left of the back seam. They tried to remove it but they only made it worse. Now they want to "save" the jacket by opening the center seam and hiding the hole (now its a hole). My concern is that this sounds like a poor solution, taking in 2 inches... is it even possible, wont it throw off the balance of the jacket? Another problem is, I am pretty sure I will not be able to button it... Has anyone had any similar situations?

post #2 of 17
Welcome to Styleforum.
Photos please? These people should buy you a new jacket or sue them in small claims court (if you have the energy, time & money).
post #3 of 17
Better check your tailors liability coverage...
post #4 of 17

demand for a new suit!

post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeman View Post

demand for a new suit!

if he ruined a jacket, i would never ever ask for a suit from his/her shop. Demand them to pay you back for the coat or have them replace it for you.

good luck
post #6 of 17

A refund is the best option - or a law suit

post #7 of 17
As far as i remember, the amount owed is not the cost of the item as it was new, or the cost of replacement, but rather the value of the item in it's current state. ie they don't owe you the price of a new suit, just the street value of your old suit.

lawyers correct me if I'm wrong here...
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetloveheart View Post

I took my suit to get tailored to a new tailor and when I picked it up the was a glue stain on the back approximately 2-3 inches below the collar and one inch left of the back seam. They tried to remove it but they only made it worse. Now they want to "save" the jacket by opening the center seam and hiding the hole (now its a hole). My concern is that this sounds like a poor solution, taking in 2 inches... is it even possible, wont it throw off the balance of the jacket? Another problem is, I am pretty sure I will not be able to button it... Has anyone had any similar situations?

Why are you asking the question?

Surely you have already commenced proceedings for the reimbursement to you of the cost of the garment?
post #9 of 17
why the new tailor?
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinkapur View Post


if he ruined a jacket, i would never ever ask for a suit from his/her shop. Demand them to pay you back for the coat or have them replace it for you.
good luck


I agree. Stand your ground and make sure that if the repairs aren't satisfactory, they pay for the damages !!

post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by abitifatti View Post

why the new tailor?

irrelevant, its been already done. no point in asking him this - i'm sure he learned his lesson
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post

As far as i remember, the amount owed is not the cost of the item as it was new, or the cost of replacement, but rather the value of the item in it's current state. ie they don't owe you the price of a new suit, just the street value of your old suit.
lawyers correct me if I'm wrong here...

This is your best option. There's no way he'll actually buy you a new suit.
post #13 of 17
Invisible mending or reweaving is what you have to do.
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post

As far as i remember, the amount owed is not the cost of the item as it was new, or the cost of replacement, but rather the value of the item in it's current state. ie they don't owe you the price of a new suit, just the street value of your old suit.
lawyers correct me if I'm wrong here...

If it was a new suit that he took to get tailored, then the new cost = replacement cost = amount they are liable for. If someone hits my 7 year old car, I'm not going after then for the cost of the car new, but the depreciated value. But if I buy a new car and get hit driving off the lot, you can be sure I am going after them for the value of a brand new replacement.
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDave View Post

If it was a new suit that he took to get tailored, then the new cost = replacement cost = amount they are liable for. If someone hits my 7 year old car, I'm not going after then for the cost of the car new, but the depreciated value. But if I buy a new car and get hit driving off the lot, you can be sure I am going after them for the value of a brand new replacement.

I'm not sure that's correct. If everything worked out perfectly, he'd have a new but altered suit, which is worth less than a NWT unaltered suit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Tailor ruined my suit jacket