or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Hermes mtm vs Tom Ford mtm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hermes mtm vs Tom Ford mtm - Page 2

post #16 of 49
Hermes bespoke garments are made by Camps de Luca.
post #17 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matis View Post

Hermes bespoke garments are made by Camps de Luca.

how is camps de luca construction-wise?
post #18 of 49
I have to disagree, Tony Romo. Not everything is on SF... Just because it's not here doesn't mean it isn't good. +1 to JayJay.
post #19 of 49
What are the prices for Tom Ford & Hermes MTM? That might help in relation to quality over value.
post #20 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliEmbo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matis View Post

Hermes bespoke garments are made by Camps de Luca.

how is camps de luca construction-wise?

Looking at their website... it seems really awesome.

http://www.camps-de-luca.com/english/camps-de-luca-brief-summary.htm

Also, we don't need to bring money into the issue. Both are really expensive and that's OP's choice.
post #21 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliEmbo View Post

it is definitely overpriced, and it's not that I would want people to know what it is, because I prefer understated clothing, if people want others to know how much money they have, they should just wear a necklace with a wad of money biggrin.gif. If there was a logo on a suit (for example like gucci has done in the past) I wouldn't go near it. However, a nice interior for a jacket is always appreciated and as long as its kept on the person, probably won't be seen by anyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicguy View Post

I have to disagree, Tony Romo. Not everything is on SF... Just because it's not here doesn't mean it isn't good. +1 to JayJay.

I didn't say it wasn't good. I just asked if there was any reason you'd want to do Hermes specifically and that they aren't really talked about or mentioned much in the suiting world (which includes here).
post #22 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Romo View Post

I didn't say it wasn't good. I just asked if there was any reason you'd want to do Hermes specifically and that they aren't really talked about or mentioned much in the suiting world (which includes here).

+ 1, I can find absolutely no logical reason as to why someone would go full tilt for a Hermes suit unless they just want to have the brand (or the suit in question has a unique pattern or color). Tom Ford's styling is light years ahead of Hermes if one wants a fashion forward suit. Hermes suits are quite conservative, and in that context, there are plenty of other brands that offer more competitive prices and are just as well made.

Hermes are pretty much untouchable for leather goods / accessories, but their clothing is not more well made than a lot of high end brands/labels out there.
post #23 of 49
Thread Starter 
reasons you might go for hermes might include the fact that camps de luca looks amazing, and that you like the style of the designs hermes produces, therefore going mtm and getting the best of both worlds. of course everyone is different so it definitely will not apply to everyone. the other thing is, tom ford does some nice stuff, but it's in fashion NOW. meaning it will go out of fashion. Klobber, hermes is more conservative, but safer. I know this because if you watch one of the interviews with Ford he says that his designs are extremely 'current-affair' related and therefore will definitely go out of style. perhaps not for a long time and so it may not be a determining factor but it is still something to consider, is it not?
post #24 of 49
Thread Starter 
but then i agree other brands will be the same, and people go for tom ford because of the designs for 'now'
post #25 of 49
Tony Romo, why bother sharing that you would not choose Hermes if you are going to subsequently admit you have no idea what you're talking about?

This is the height of stupidity:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Romo View Post

No one really encounters Hermes suits or sport coats, at least not on here. I didn't even know they made suits and sport coats. Out of all the fashion brands, the only one I like for quality and look are Tom Ford suits. They hit the nail on both. Most fashion brands look stupid and are cheaply made but expensive. Is there a reason to go Hermes? I don't even think I've seen one.

facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Romo View Post

Also, it seems from your post that you want people to be able to tell it's Hermes or Tom Ford. Hermes tries to make sure everyone knows its Hermes in most of their stuff with their logo, etc

What? After you "didn't know they made suits and sport coats," you are saying with authority that Hermes puts their logo all over everything? (They do not; you couldn't be more wrong.) And, moreover, this applies to the suits you had never heard of and didn't know existed? (In fact, even companies that brand wallets, sweaters & sneakers with logos [almost] never do this for suits and jackets.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliEmbo View Post

Klobber, hermes is more conservative, but safer. I know this because if you watch one of the interviews with Ford he says that his designs are extremely 'current-affair' related and therefore will definitely go out of style.

Conservative MEANS safe(r). The other bit is equally self-evident.
Edited by GoldenTribe - 1/7/12 at 4:23pm
post #26 of 49

I think the comments about Hermes are a bit off base. First off the mens store in NY is pretty amazing. Yes they are CRAZY expensive but they still have handmade products which most dont do anymore. Not everyone needs a $1200 handmade wallet but the quality is there are they are very nice. Which by the way the only logo's on those type products are the name in the inside unlike LV, Gucci... I think many are thinking of there ties when they think of Hermes. They have MTM and full Bespoke mens clothing services and the quality is there. Which I think is the point, a relatable comparison is that their dress shoes are made by John Lobb. Now there are certainly other nice shoe designers but noone will argue that Lobbs are a bad choice. Hermes delivers on quality by providing the customer with nice choices. Now I like Tom Ford as well but is is more of a fashion house like Gucci or Prada except the quality is much higher. That said I have seen some crazy things there( very loud printed thick wool suits, oversized lapels)  I agree you could find great bespoke for much less ( I believe Hermes would be around $7000 depending of fabric) but it would be very nice and timeless. Tom Ford can be very edgy

post #27 of 49
Which offer the best breast wallet, Hermès or Tom Ford?

That is, if we assume normal breasts.

confused.gif
post #28 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrfergs67 View Post

They have MTM and full Bespoke mens clothing services and the quality is there. Which I think is the point, a relatable comparison is that their dress shoes are made by John Lobb. Now there are certainly other nice shoe designers but noone will argue that Lobbs are a bad choice. Hermes delivers on quality by providing the customer with nice choices. Now I like Tom Ford as well but is is more of a fashion house like Gucci or Prada except the quality is much higher. That said I have seen some crazy things there( very loud printed thick wool suits, oversized lapels)  I agree you could find great bespoke for much less ( I believe Hermes would be around $7000 depending of fabric) but it would be very nice and timeless. Tom Ford can be very edgy

Hermes do full bespoke aswell as mtm? and how are their shoes in comparison to Tom Ford MTO?
What would you say is better in terms of quality? I was thinking the Tom Ford at first, but surely if Hermes have true bespoke or are made by camps de luca, it must be better than Tom Ford mtm.
I completely agree with hermes being timeless. I think that Tom Ford is nice but will go out of fashion, or though large lapels were brought around in the 80's and he has reintroduced them (i think!)
post #29 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

Which offer the best breast wallet, Hermès or Tom Ford?
That is, if we assume normal breasts.
confused.gif

Tom Ford wouldn't discuss my desire for a green breast wallet last time I asked him.
post #30 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrfergs67 View Post

I think the comments about Hermes are a bit off base. First off the mens store in NY is pretty amazing. Yes they are CRAZY expensive but they still have handmade products which most dont do anymore. Not everyone needs a $1200 handmade wallet but the quality is there are they are very nice. Which by the way the only logo's on those type products are the name in the inside unlike LV, Gucci... I think many are thinking of there ties when they think of Hermes. They have MTM and full Bespoke mens clothing services and the quality is there. Which I think is the point, a relatable comparison is that their dress shoes are made by John Lobb. Now there are certainly other nice shoe designers but noone will argue that Lobbs are a bad choice. Hermes delivers on quality by providing the customer with nice choices. Now I like Tom Ford as well but is is more of a fashion house like Gucci or Prada except the quality is much higher. That said I have seen some crazy things there( very loud printed thick wool suits, oversized lapels)  I agree you could find great bespoke for much less ( I believe Hermes would be around $7000 depending of fabric) but it would be very nice and timeless. Tom Ford can be very edgy

Welcome to the forum! It is nice to see a new user jump in and immediately contribute in an existing thread his point of view.

I agree largely with what you say - Hermes are 1st rate and anything with their name on is 1st rate. Even their suits belong in the upper echelons of the suiting world - their bespoke pieces have amazing quality, and their RTW pieces are pretty much on a par with many highly rated brands / bespoke makers mentioned in this forum. But that is the catch - paying $1K over even a Kiton for a conservative(ish) suit makes little or no sense to me - particularly when you can score similar quality suits by other brands that more often go on big discounts. I understand the concept that an interesting design, style or fit is worth its weight in gold (i.e. Bijan, Tom Ford, and some off the wall Versace, Gucci, Prada etc designs), but I cant get my head around why a person would sink $5K+ into a solid navy Hermes suit rather than sink $4K into some other high end lux brand offering similar. I would understand completely sinking $5K on a runway Versace or Tom Ford suit - particularly if it is very interesting or unique.

Perhaps exclusitivity may be the biggest factor here, with Hermes seen as the Rolls Royce type brand and Tom Ford / Prada / Gucci et al seen as the Ferrari brands. All luxurious, but one more exlusive than the other. My anti Hermes for $5K+ stance could be my flawed thinking however, since I dont consider exclusitivity as an important metric with clothing.

BTW, Gucci, Prada etc are not necessarily worse made than Tom Ford. The difference is Tom Ford has one high end line (as far as I know), while Prada, Gucci etc have their fingers in many pies and hence have some inconsistencies in quality (i.e. one line is $300 for a dress shirt with plastic buttons, another line $800 for a hand made dress shirt with MOP buttons). Most luxury fashion brands "can be" at a very similar well-tailored level as Tom Ford.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Hermes mtm vs Tom Ford mtm