or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Mens Braces Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Mens Braces Thread - Page 5

post #61 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo style View Post

Another 480 million pairs of BB suspenders exported and the US is in the black for the month.
I just bought some lovely Thurston braces -- must keep the Commonwealth strong. sarcasm.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgeezy View Post



Haha, I try my best! I'll probably live in the US when I am older anyway, so just securing my future ;D

fistbump.gif
post #62 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgeezy View Post

My Navy and Burgundy pairs of Brooks Brothers braces are in the post on the way to my house woo!

If your friend has a Barney's nearby they have some Trafalger ones down to $50 (from $80). Just picked up a pair in dark blue with pink polka dots.
post #63 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

All of my trousers have side tabs already. I never wore a belt. Only difference now is buttons.

Ah, when you said "converted" I took that to mean it was a lengthier, more complicated process than simply adding buttons. I started doing it on my tabbed trousers since when doing a lot of walking during the day (when I'm in Chicago or Manhattan, for example) I just don't quite trust the D-rings to stay taught on their own eek.gif. What started as a safety measure became one of the more enjoyable parts of my wardrobe.
post #64 of 103

First of all, thanks pB for sharing those 39 pages of your bathroom detective antics. We share many frustrations around other people's obnoxious routines.

 

Regarding braces, I'm a 6'1, 260-ish pound, basically a fatty :) and a somewhat prominent gut. I enjoy braces, both as a style element as well as a way of comfortably wearing pants. Any recommendations to keep in mind when looking for both braces as well as pants keeping my figure (or lack thereof :)) in mind? Anything special I should keep in mind regarding pants when buying for braces? It seems the default is belts, but would one advise a slightly different fitting when using braces?

 

 

edit: I'm currently in the process of upgrading my wardrobe and everyday style, so SF is quite helpful there. Unfortunately I work in what's known as Silicon Valley as an engineer and bad dressing is the norm here.

post #65 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillie View Post

First of all, thanks pB for sharing those 39 pages of your bathroom detective antics. We share many frustrations around other people's obnoxious routines.

Regarding braces, I'm a 6'1, 260-ish pound, basically a fatty smile.gif and a somewhat prominent gut. I enjoy braces, both as a style element as well as a way of comfortably wearing pants. Any recommendations to keep in mind when looking for both braces as well as pants keeping my figure (or lack thereof smile.gif) in mind? Anything special I should keep in mind regarding pants when buying for braces? It seems the default is belts, but would one advise a slightly different fitting when using braces?


edit: I'm currently in the process of upgrading my wardrobe and everyday style, so SF is quite helpful there. Unfortunately I work in what's known as Silicon Valley as an engineer and bad dressing is the norm here.

Many people prefer a higher rise when wearing braces. I would also look for trousers that have side tabs and not loops so removing the loops isnt a step you have to take.
post #66 of 103
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillie View Post

Fortunately I work in what's known as Silicon Valley as an engineer

 

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

post #67 of 103

The higher rise is something I'd need to talk to a tailor to, as it might look a little silly to get it up on the gut.

 

I'm slowly losing some weight, which is definitely needed, so maybe I need to hold this off for a few more months.

 

 

Don't mind having tabs removed, as many trousers need to have buttons added anyway. I saw you mention the side tab, but being a non-native English speaker, what exactly are you referring to with this, in trouser-terms?

 

 

edit: Jorgeezy, it should be "unfortunately" when speaking in terms of style and fashion. Honestly, visit this place and feel that you're dressed up when you're not wearing jeans. Sweatpants are an exception of course. Now I often wear jeans, beaten up sneakers and a button short sleeve shirt. This is $100k+ wear, sadly.

post #68 of 103
Thread Starter 

I know what you meant but I just couldn't bare to see it haha!

 

Since watching a documentary on Noyce when I was younger I've been fascinated with the place!

post #69 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillie View Post

The higher rise is something I'd need to talk to a tailor to, as it might look a little silly to get it up on the gut.

I'm slowly losing some weight, which is definitely needed, so maybe I need to hold this off for a few more months.


Don't mind having tabs removed, as many trousers need to have buttons added anyway. I saw you mention the side tab, but being a non-native English speaker, what exactly are you referring to with this, in trouser-terms?


edit: Jorgeezy, it should be "unfortunately" when speaking in terms of style and fashion. Honestly, visit this place and feel that you're dressed up when you're not wearing jeans. Sweatpants are an exception of course. Now I often wear jeans, beaten up sneakers and a button short sleeve shirt. This is $100k+ wear, sadly.

Well, a higher rise isn't something that you can alter. It has to be there from the beginning, or you need to get your pants made with it in mind. Side tabs look like this:

sidetabssmallmt4.jpg
or
sidetabssmall2hk4.jpg

They are mostly useless, but they add a nice touch.
post #70 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle View Post

One thing to note; it sounds like Thurston makes all but their Elastic braces from silk, while Brooks Brothers uses nylon for most of theirs (though they do have a few patterned offerings in silk, albeit more expensive).

Thurston makes braces from barathea, boxcloth and a jacquard that uses nylon. They only do silk by special order, with a minimum of a couple hundred pieces so it's not seen very often. Which is ok as it doesn't wear very well.
post #71 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post


Well, a higher rise isn't something that you can alter. It has to be there from the beginning, or you need to get your pants made with it in mind.

 

My bad, that's what I meant: Need to talk to the person making my next trousers about this (guess I wrongly used tailor for this), I understand one can't magically voodoo some extra material there. :)

 

Thanks for the tabs pics, that clears it up. I'd prefer to have mtm/"bespoke" trousers next or otherwise something that has a good rise & waist from the start. Spent $175 on trousers at Nordstrom a few months ago and to be honest, I think that was money not well spent.

post #72 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by howbah View Post

only if you're living in the 1890s.
if so, also remember not to appear anywhere outside your bedroom "in your shirtsleeves", and
ALWAYS wear a hat when outdoors.

Damn, damn, damn! Can we sticky these rules? I always tend to mess these up.
post #73 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillie View Post


My bad, that's what I meant: Need to talk to the person making my next trousers about this (guess I wrongly used tailor for this), I understand one can't magically voodoo some extra material there. smile.gif

Thanks for the tabs pics, that clears it up. I'd prefer to have mtm/"bespoke" trousers next or otherwise something that has a good rise & waist from the start. Spent $175 on trousers at Nordstrom a few months ago and to be honest, I think that was money not well spent.

You were correct is using the term tailor. People use tailor when they really mean "seamstress" in a lot of cases.
post #74 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillie View Post

The higher rise is something I'd need to talk to a tailor to, as it might look a little silly to get it up on the gut.

I'm slowly losing some weight, which is definitely needed, so maybe I need to hold this off for a few more months.


Don't mind having tabs removed, as many trousers need to have buttons added anyway. I saw you mention the side tab, but being a non-native English speaker, what exactly are you referring to with this, in trouser-terms?


edit: Jorgeezy, it should be "unfortunately" when speaking in terms of style and fashion. Honestly, visit this place and feel that you're dressed up when you're not wearing jeans. Sweatpants are an exception of course. Now I often wear jeans, beaten up sneakers and a button short sleeve shirt. This is $100k+ wear, sadly.

I honestly think that as a bigger guy you'll want the trouser waist to hit where you're largest. Going lower means you'll have your gut hanging over your waistband (particularly problematic/uncomfortable with braces) and going higher means you'll have a bulge in the front of your trousers (and not the good kind wink.gif). Also, the idea with braces is to have your trousers suspended (hence the term "suspenders" at just the right point without pinching your waist with a belt. If you have a gut to contend with then I'd think this especially true since you'll have to tighten it a bit more (whereas others would use their hip bones to help keep trousers from sliding down).
post #75 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle View Post

I honestly think that as a bigger guy you'll want the trouser waist to hit where you're largest.

Paging edmorel...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Mens Braces Thread