or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Mens Braces Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Mens Braces Thread - Page 3

post #31 of 103
TM Lewin £24 - made by Albert Thurston (although leather quality not as nice as the AT range)
post #32 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macallan View Post

TM Lewin £24 - made by Albert Thurston (although leather quality not as nice as the AT range)


Nice one I'll check it out!

post #33 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

This seems like spam[1].gif to me. Thurston's aren't expensive.

On the contrary, simply a satisfied customer.
post #34 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum View Post

It depends how they are attached. Sometimes they are just sewn to the front of the trouser, in which case it should be simple to cut them off yourself. Other times though, the end of the loop is caught in the seam which attaches the waistband, so removing the loops involves cutting open a section of this seam before removing the loop then resewing the seam.

Yeah my loops had one end tucked underneath the waistband.
post #35 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford View Post

I'm a big fan of wearing braces/suspenders as well and I understand the rule that they shouldn't be seen, but I really can't imagine sitting in my office all day without removing my suit coat. Do you guys really keep your jackets on all day?

Wait there's a rule they shouldn't be seen? I take my jacket off all the time. Couple of the older folks at work always tell me to show those suspenders off anyway. Those fellas are all a mile above my pay grade. Might be a cultural thing though, they all dress alarmingly similar to Delroy Lindo's character in Chicago Code (http://youtu.be/DCxvfah20hw). I sorta like seeing em, used to it I guess.
post #36 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeH View Post

Not to be over the top here, but how hard is it for a slightly obsessed schmuck with a decent pen knife to remove the belt loops from his own trousers during an episode of Castle and save himself a few bucks? After all, we're just talking about cutting a few threads and gently pulling them out of the fabric. Perhaps add a few diagonal tugs to snug the weave back together. I'm just saying.

It depends how they are attached. Sometimes they are just sewn to the front of the trouser, in which case it should be simple to cut them off yourself. Other times though, the end of the loop is caught in the seam which attaches the waistband, so removing the loops involves cutting open a section of this seam before removing the loop then resewing the seam.

Thanks for the lesson, I hadn't tried to remove that kind before, but now that I look at some, yes it would be well worth $20 for that.

And people say I'm wasting time on the Internet! Look at all I learn.
post #37 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I got my first pair of trousers made up with suspender buttons and recently converted all of my other pants to have them. I see no reason to wear anything else. Changed my life and nobody knows it except my girlfriend, and my barber when I take off my jacket for a haircut.

I'd only do that if I had enough material leftover from some kind of alteration/having the suit made to have side tabs made as well. I just think that makes things more versatile (I sometimes wear a suit w/o a tie and wouldn't do so with braces; or imagine traveling light and accidentally breaking the one pair of braces you brought with...).
post #38 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeH View Post

Thanks for the lesson, I hadn't tried to remove that kind before, but now that I look at some, yes it would be well worth $20 for that.
And people say I'm wasting time on the Internet! Look at all I learn.

This is the problem I found with my T.M. Lewin suits, and I must admit to being lazy and leaving the loops on. Again, if you keep you jacket on or wear a waistcoat, it doesn't matter overmuch.

I'm aware that cuts differ between trousers made for braces and those made for belts, but I have had buttons sewn into a number of pairs of the latter and it seems to work, so I would suggest to the OP that he need not go out and buy a new wardrobe just yet!

eBay can be a good source of secondhand and vintage braces; although Thurstons and the like turn up quite seldom, they can be quite cheap (£10 or less for two pairs is my best score, £12.50 despatched) and, as has been said before, charity shops and vintage clothing stores can be a good source. If you want to try the experience without spending too much initially, one of my favourite pairs were ex-army, 1940s vintage, which I got for £4 and used more or less daily whilst I was at university until they wore out a good few years later.

Consider Thurston's barathea braces too; they are comparable in price to the boxcloth, lighter in weight and just as hardwearing.
post #39 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonuiuc View Post

Wait there's a rule they shouldn't be seen? I take my jacket off all the time. Couple of the older folks at work always tell me to show those suspenders off anyway. Those fellas are all a mile above my pay grade. Might be a cultural thing though, they all dress alarmingly similar to Delroy Lindo's character in Chicago Code (http://youtu.be/DCxvfah20hw). I sorta like seeing em, used to it I guess.

It is not good to show braces to the world (save in certain financial markets where red braces were de rigeur). The modern open plan heated/air conditioned office has really killed the wearing of braces for so many although they remain the ideal way in which to wear trousers.
post #40 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR View Post

It is not good to show braces to the world (save in certain financial markets where red braces were de rigeur). The modern open plan heated/air conditioned office has really killed the wearing of braces for so many although they remain the ideal way in which to wear trousers.

I've never understood this rule either. What is the point in buying fun braces (suspenders) if they are not supposed to be seen? If this is really a rule, shouldn't they all just come in tan or black or some other boring color?
post #41 of 103
^^ I agree. I have started wearing braces again with regularity and remove my jacket when I get to my office. I think wearing my jacket all day in the office would make me stand out more than wearing braces.
post #42 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford View Post

I've never understood this rule either. What is the point in buying fun braces (suspenders) if they are not supposed to be seen? If this is really a rule, shouldn't they all just come in tan or black or some other boring color?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDan View Post

^^ I agree. I have started wearing braces again with regularity and remove my jacket when I get to my office. I think wearing my jacket all day in the office would make me stand out more than wearing braces.

A lot of dressing well involves doing something for your own pleasure and amusement.

Anything that smacks of trying to show off was considered vulgar
post #43 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgeezy View Post

...I'd rather pick up some brooks brothers ones for ridiculously cheap rather than the site you suggested...

I actually prefer my BB braces to my Thurstons, but I may purchase more from Thurston anyway just because they also do custom work. The yoke is so high on my Thurston braces that it's almost between my shoulder blades; therefore, it shows up as a bump in my suit coat. The yokes on my BB braces are low enough that they are hidden in the small of my back. Much preferred.
post #44 of 103

I believe that in generations past suspenders were considered part of a gentleman's underclothing and thus he never exposed them, especially to ladies, except the one he was intending to sleep with.  Today that view might be a tad dated, though given some of the wonderfully scandalous patterned suspenders I've seen lately, leaving the coat on at work might be the politic choice.eek.gif

post #45 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlSarge View Post

I believe that in generations past suspenders were considered part of a gentleman's underclothing and thus he never exposed them, especially to ladies, except the one he was intending to sleep with.  Today that view might be a tad dated, though given some of the wonderfully scandalous patterned suspenders I've seen lately, leaving the coat on at work might be the politic choice.eek.gif

But in such times past, weren't most, if not all, of a "gentleman's" suits three-piece? In that case, even removing one's jacket wouldn't expose such "unmentionables" as braces, nor would pushing aside one's jacket to fetch something from a trouser pocket (which I can only imagine equivalent to today's women bending over and giving the thong shot).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Mens Braces Thread