or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Mens Braces Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Mens Braces Thread

post #1 of 103
Thread Starter 

This post has evolved into a location for general discussion and Q&A about braces, so let's embrace it! thumbs-up.gif

 

 

 

OP

"What's your opinion on them?

 

Being 18 and at College where there is no uniform (A levels in UK, not US "College") I am sort of pressured into wearing my swag clothes.

 

Soon enough, I will be wearing suits all day everyday <3 (I'm talking suitjamas bro srsly)

 

That being said, I have always find them quite charming and considering buying a pair just to try them out, where would you suggest? (I don't think I could afford Hermes being a student and all, but feel free to throw it in)

 

Edit: I don't know if anyone watches Boardwalk Empire, but Jimmy looked awesome, no homo."


Edited by Jorgeezy - 1/18/12 at 2:53pm
post #2 of 103
Albert Thurston: http://www.albertthurston.com/

Good enough for Daniel Craig in Casino Royale.
post #3 of 103
go for it. just leave the belt at home.....
post #4 of 103
I'm a recent convert., When I started having to wear suits 2-3 times a week regularly, I took a chance and had a suit made with the brace buttons on the trousers. The first wear was a revelation, so comfortable, and the pants drape much better. I intend to have all future suits made with side tabs/brace buttons if possible. Never used the clip ones though.
post #5 of 103
If you plan on using your braces often, silk braces wear out/fray faster than box cloth braces.
Many prefer Thurston's (U.K) over Trafalgar (U.S),but either one is top quality, my two cents.
post #6 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgeezy View Post

What's your opinion on them?

Being 18 and at College where there is no uniform (A levels in UK, not US "College") I am sort of pressured into wearing my swag clothes.

Soon enough, I will be wearing suits all day everyday <3 (I'm talking suitjamas bro srsly)

That being said, I have always find them quite charming and considering buying a pair just to try them out, where would you suggest? (I don't think I could afford Hermes being a student and all, but feel free to throw it in)

Edit: I don't know if anyone watches Boardwalk Empire, but Jimmy looked awesome, no homo.

If affordability is a significant factor for you, you may want to check out www.beltoutlet.com. People familiar with the braces available from Thurston probably don't think these compare with them, but the ones from Belt Outlet are good quality and inexpensive. (I own some.)
post #7 of 103
Go for braces, It prevents the trouser sticks to your thigh during the hot summer

I brought a few cheap ones in TM Lewin, few from T & A, any of them work

Just ensure all trouser had buttons sewn in and no clip ons
post #8 of 103
I don't know if the UK will be the same as US, but while you're looking for deals on the high end stuff, you can probably find some quite servicable braces in local thrifts. The real point now is to establish the habit (and reputation) of wearing them. I personally consider wearing braces to be one of the best reasons to wear a suit - so much more comfortable than a belt. People will comment the first 2 times they actually notice you wearing them. After that, it is just part of who you are, so wear what you can get affordably now and upgrade them as you have money, opportunity and desire.
post #9 of 103
Thread Starter 

Thanks for all the replies and info guys!

 

I'll check if any of my current havevthe side buttons and I am amazed I didn't even consider they would be nicer than belts which I kinda hate :')

 

Maybe i'll check the marketplace here for Thurston ;)

post #10 of 103
Thread Starter 

http://home.everestkc.net/mvs/9/106.jpg

Are these the type that would use the buttons? I want to make sure.

 

Member here is selling those, Brooks Brothers, fairly nice right? :)

post #11 of 103
yep, those are the correct ones

ideally you would also want to wear trousers without beltloops, and a 3-piece suit nod[1].gif
post #12 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariooo View Post

yep, those are the correct ones
ideally you would also want to wear trousers without beltloops, and a 3-piece suit nod[1].gif


Looks like I am going to have to get new trousers (or perhaps a 3-piece)... an expensive game this is!

 

Will probably check on here for some Thurston's every now and then :D

post #13 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc4jax View Post

If you plan on using your braces often, silk braces wear out/fray faster than box cloth braces.
Many prefer Thurston's (U.K) over Trafalgar (U.S),but either one is top quality, my two cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeH View Post

I don't know if the UK will be the same as US, but while you're looking for deals on the high end stuff, you can probably find some quite servicable braces in local thrifts. The real point now is to establish the habit (and reputation) of wearing them. I personally consider wearing braces to be one of the best reasons to wear a suit - so much more comfortable than a belt. People will comment the first 2 times they actually notice you wearing them. After that, it is just part of who you are, so wear what you can get affordably now and upgrade them as you have money, opportunity and desire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonuiuc View Post

I'm a recent convert., When I started having to wear suits 2-3 times a week regularly, I took a chance and had a suit made with the brace buttons on the trousers. The first wear was a revelation, so comfortable, and the pants drape much better. I intend to have all future suits made with side tabs/brace buttons if possible. Never used the clip ones though.

+1000
post #14 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc4jax View Post

If you plan on using your braces often, silk braces wear out/fray faster than box cloth braces.
Many prefer Thurston's (U.K) over Trafalgar (U.S),but either one is top quality, my two cents.

Indeed, both points are true.

I'm not sure about others, but I don't see much point in changing braces very often (and I am always afraid too much fiddling is going to ruin the leather). I generally install a pair into a pair of trousers and leave that pair with that suit indefinitely. Last time I bothered changing from one pair to another was wearing my fun Christmas braces just before Christmas. This has the effect (both a benefit and a problem) of meaning that you only need the same number of braces as you have suits. I guess I actually have to change braces a little more often just to get them all in the game. (Or maybe I should just buy more suits!icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif)
post #15 of 103
I gather that the OP is English?

If so, based on what I have observed over the years, I suggest that his first pair of braces be the type that go on the teeth.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Mens Braces Thread