or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Prometheus (Ridley Scott's Alien "Prequel" )
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Prometheus (Ridley Scott's Alien "Prequel" ) - Page 39

post #571 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffrey View Post

Sorry, but as much as I bitch about using spoiler tags in the GOT thread, spoiler tags for a film that's already out doesn't require spoiler tags. Don't open the thread till you watch it.
Huh? Why shouldn't I be able to open the thread before I watch the movie? I appreciate the spoiler tags. Sure, I may see something that's not tagged and that gives away part of the movie, but I don't care that much. Spoiler tags just makes it less likely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMRouse View Post

It doesn't matter if the film is already out of not. What matters is you give people a reasonable amount of time after release. The film hit the 8th. Today is the 12th. You can count that many days on a single hand. Use spoiler tags.
+ 1.
post #572 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01 View Post

LOL yes. Sorry its an annoying habit of mine. I fix peoples punctuation.

I noticed that as well.
post #573 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradernick View Post


EDIT: Sheesh, I guess I'm really out of touch. Page 7 of this thread indicates that the movie is already out. Now I have to read the whole thread to see about the acting.

I think I mentioned the great cast of Alien in this thread (though it could have been on another forum, Prometheus threads are everywhere!). If I didn't, what I said elsewhere was how real the crew of Nostromo seemed, how professional the captain was, versus how unprofessional the captain of Prometheus was (ignoring stranded crew, a mapping device reading biological life etc etc), and how essentially space haulage crew were far more dedicated and real than the supposedly stellar crew of a trillion dollar Prometheus mission.

There are some scenes you can directly compare - John Hurt's reckless exploration of the eggs in Alien goes against common sense, but his behaviour before, his sense of curiousity and also the audience's repulsed fascination with the eggs makes his actions of looking at the eggs understandable - he is also armed and wearing a helmet.

The very similar scene of the cowardly biologist suddenly being fascinated by a mutant snake makes no sense and is quite risible. His death has much less impact as he's an annoying badly written character, and as such the audience see him as cannon fodder and a blunt plot device.
post #574 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post

I think I mentioned the great cast of Alien in this thread (though it could have been on another forum, Prometheus threads are everywhere!). If I didn't, what I said elsewhere was how real the crew of Nostromo seemed, how professional the captain was, versus how unprofessional the captain of Prometheus was (ignoring stranded crew, a mapping device reading biological life etc etc), and how essentially space haulage crew were far more dedicated and real than the supposedly stellar crew of a trillion dollar Prometheus mission.
There are some scenes you can directly compare - John Hurt's reckless exploration of the eggs in Alien goes against common sense, but his behaviour before, his sense of curiousity and also the audience's repulsed fascination with the eggs makes his actions of looking at the eggs understandable - he is also armed and wearing a helmet.
The very similar scene of the cowardly biologist suddenly being fascinated by a mutant snake makes no sense and is quite risible. His death has much less impact as he's an annoying badly written character, and as such the audience see him as cannon fodder and a blunt plot device.

+1, completely agree with all this.
post #575 of 689
By the end of the first Alien film I felt emotionally invested in the health and welfare of every human onboard. I can largely say the same thing for the Aliens crew with the exception of the company man. Constrast that with the crew of this movie...

It's almost as if the writers and Ridley are completely out of touch with the allure of the original film.
post #576 of 689
They should replace the crew of Prometheus with the crew from Sunshine sans the whiny female pilot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_(2007_film)
post #577 of 689
Sheesh, if you want, to play this silly game, the guy who got killed trying, to find the cat was not emotionally invest-able. (He was, really, but this is what your are doing with the Prometheus characters.) I thought Shaw was a great character; I was, honestly, as emotionally invested in her as any character in Alien. I am not trying, to argue which is better--it's too early to say yet--just that both are of similar quality. Anyway, now I'm going 'round and around, so I'll leave it at that.
post #578 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by whnay. View Post

By the end of the first Alien film I felt emotionally invested in the health and welfare of every human onboard. I can largely say the same thing for the Aliens crew with the exception of the company man. Constrast that with the crew of this movie...
It's almost as if the writers and Ridley are completely out of touch with the allure of the original film.

i think, as i said before, that now a days, audiences are bitches, and hollywood doesnt like killing characters that movie watchers are invested in. i get the feeling they make them at the least partially unlikeable, just so people dont wet their pants when they see the characters die.
post #579 of 689
I hate it how Hollywood thinks it knows something. (If that is even the case.)
post #580 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01 View Post

I hate it how Hollywood thinks it knows something. (If that is even the case.)

presumably, they base it off of ticket sales profits and the like.
post #581 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

presumably, they base it off of ticket sales profits and the like.

Probably test screenings and focus groups.
post #582 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78 View Post

Probably test screenings and focus groups.

done by aforementioned luzar movie goers plain.gif and then we get fucked with some lame-o characters.
post #583 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken View Post

Here's a theory:
There's been a lot of speculation about what is 10.11.12. I heard that's the first day of Comic-Con, and some are saying we'll be treated to a teaser of Prometheus's sequel at the event.
Others are saying the date might just be the release of the blue-ray, which seems too trite to devote attention to, unless...
...Unless the blue-ray contains the director's cut, which contains 30 more minutes of film that answer every single question left by the original. In theory, a director's cut could satiate people's need for a sequel and could usher in a new home-video sales strategy that could be pretty lucrative: leave enough wonder in the theatrical release to make people want to buy the home release, knowing their questions will be answered in the extra footage.
It may not gross as much as another theatrical release, but they also don't have to incur the cost of actually filming another movie.
that is a fantastic idea. leave enough out of a movie so it doesnt make sense, and then answer the questions in the dvd home release. I really like it. (not being sarcastic)
post #584 of 689
That's all well and good, but the 2 hours we got was poorly written, directed, edited and acted, so it's a pretty sure bet that the additional 30 minutes is equally lame. I'm sure the effects will rock, though.

It's a shame Scott didn't artificially constrain himself in some way, such as doing it independently on a tight budget, to partially replicate the conditions under which he made the first one. I think it would have helped. This one suffered from being made in the studio system with a ginormous budget, with all of the risk aversion that that entails.

"how will it play in the international market?" is a huge question producers are asked today - and the standard for international sales is to dumb it down to the lowest common denominator, e.g. blowing shit up.
post #585 of 689
Yeah, if we're talking Tranformers sequels.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Prometheus (Ridley Scott's Alien "Prequel" )