or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Prometheus (Ridley Scott's Alien "Prequel" )
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Prometheus (Ridley Scott's Alien "Prequel" ) - Page 38

post #556 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffrey View Post

Fixed bro.

i dont think its fair to call it a franchise, as that links the original matrix, which was fantastic, with the visual diarrhea that followed with the matrix name.

i would say the matrix was a single movie, and then someone tried to use the name to sell shit.

just makes me happier to see it that way, even if technically its not really true. smile.gif
post #557 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

BTW, best sequels ever: Toy Story 2 and 3.

Don't agree--personal opinion--my favourite sequels are things like Mad Max 3 (the best Mad Max). I thought the best Toy Story was the original.
post #558 of 689
I hated Episode 1 and would argue it's the worst of the prequels. It's easily the most useless. Back in the day, who wondered what Darth Vader was like as an 11 year old boy? No one. I promise you, no one ever cared. They should have started the stories when he was around Luke's age in A New Hope. That would have allowed for more screen time to be spent on parts of the story that fans did care about. Like The Clone Wars and a more organic fall to the Dark Side for Vader.
post #559 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by E,TF View Post

Star Wars was great, because it implied a whole world and history, without trying to explain it; it left room for viewers' imaginations, to fill in all the blanks (especially, good for kids as most of us were, when we first saw it). Science fiction and fantasy does this all the time; it's an easy way of seeming profound. Prequels are often, therefore, disappointing, because they explain all the back story--closing down the space previously inhabited, by whatever you'd imagined. It's much more fun thinking of Jedis as some mysterious, ancient, underground cult than as some smug, gubernatorial committee. Plus, there's also the nagging feeling, that lazy, rich producers are just trying, to gouge some more money out of their fans, by raping their childhoods.

I removed the last sentence, because it ruined an otherwise intelligent/correct post.
post #560 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01 View Post

Don't agree--personal opinion--my favourite sequels are things like Mad Max 3 (the best Mad Max). I thought the best Toy Story was the original.

while they may not have been AS good as the original, they were all great movies in their own right. hence making them great sequels. biggrin.gif

never saw any mad max, cant comment.
post #561 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMRouse View Post

Back in the day, who wondered what Darth Vader was like as an 11-year-old boy? No one--I promise you, no one ever cared.

What mature adult, who enjoyed the first films, would not care?
post #562 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by E,TF View Post

Star Wars was great because it implied a whole world and history without trying to explain it - it left room for viewers' imaginations to fill in all the blanks (especially good for kids as most of us were when we first saw it). Science fiction and fantasy does this all the time - it's an easy way of seeming profound. Prequels are often therefore disappointing because they explain all the backstory, closing down the space previously inhabited by whatever you'd imagined. It's much more fun thinking of Jedis as some mysterious ancient underground cult than as some smug gubernatorial committee. Plus there's also the nagging feeling that lazy rich producers are just trying to gouge some more money out of their fans by raping their childhoods.

On this score I think Prometheus did ok precisely because it didn't actually explain much. The script was still pretty crappy though.

I agree with your overall point, that this type of film usually succeeds best when it leaves more to the imagination - the original Alien is a perfect example of this. Almost nothing of the situation is explained along the way - some of it is shown (such as the fact that they are space truckers on their way home from a mission), while much more is left unsaid and unexplained - the Space Jockey, for example.

However, you're wrong about Prometheus, as it completely failed to do this. The entire first act is exposition setting up what is to come, and using many ludicrous plot devices (the "star map", the mission briefing & hologram, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whnay. View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01 View Post

Read my edited post.
Don't get me wrong, Star Wars: Episode IV and V are on my 100 Greatest Films of All Time list, and Episode I isn't, but it's still a good film. Frankly, people who say otherwise are, either, a. disappointed and stubbornly ignorant, or b. don't know what makes a good film. Neither is a problem, but both should be admissible.
You don't have to be a geeked out SW fan boy to think that Jar Jar Binks is the worst character in a film, ever, Natalie Portman was a robot and Liam Neeson's beard looked like something out of a 6th grade Moses play.

The scene when Natalie Portman jumped out of an airship, rolled down a sand dune and stood up was so ridiculously wooden that the entire theater cracked up when I saw it.

Alex, I love how you set this up so that anyone who disagrees with you is either a) stubbornly ignorant or b) don't know what makes a good film (I'm not sure how these two are different, actually). I think that you are the idiot here, not the people who are disagreeing with you. What do you say to that?
post #563 of 689
I say you are being too sensitive. People are, quite obviously--they're writing words--panning something because one or two things are 'silly'--disregarding truer qualities, such as: Cinematography, pace, acting, plot, etc, etc, etc. I know some people have said he/she was bad/the plot was rubbish. IDK, IMO, people have a tendency, to be hasty in their decision-making. IDK, most of the reasons people have posted here, for something sucking, seem trite. I know someone will be offended by that.

My main point being: People tend, to not look at something overall but, rather, at the merely pointless specifics. But, hay, if you're one of those people, I'm not going, to convince you.
post #564 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post

However, you're wrong about Prometheus, as it completely failed to do this. The entire first act is exposition setting up what is to come, and using many ludicrous plot devices (the "star map", the mission briefing & hologram, etc.

Well I only said it was ok - i.e. it managed to be reasonably entertaining and not completely spoil the whole franchise. And it left enough unsaid to sustain 38 pages of speculation here and god/engineer jesus knows how much elsewhere on the internet.

JapanAlex, you seem like a nice enough guy but man you have awful taste in films.
post #565 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post

+1, if they really NEED human characters to anchor the audience, make sure they don't suck ass.

Yes, I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned the fact that a great cast was partly what made Alien what it was. I only read through to post 71. AR was pretty gimmicky with the worst acting/script/directing of them all (don't know who wrote it).

I'm so out of touch these days that I didn't know that this film was a prequel to Alien, one of my favourite movies of all time, even though I had seen a trailer. Can't wait to see it.

Now all we need is Ridley to deliver a Blade Runner sequel and I can die happy : )

EDIT: Sheesh, I guess I'm really out of touch. Page 7 of this thread indicates that the movie is already out. Now I have to read the whole thread to see about the acting.
Edited by tradernick - 6/19/12 at 2:07pm
post #566 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by E,TF View Post

JapanAlex01, you seem like a nice enough guy, but, man, you have awful taste in films.

I have mentioned 3–5 films, roughly, so I don't know how you can gauge my film taste. Thank you for the other compliment. (You seem like a nice, intelligent person, but have, twice now, written something, that has ruined a majoritively smart post.)

If you're interested, and it's a work in progress, here is my 100 Greatest Films of All Time List.
post #567 of 689
You know what would really interest me: Is if some of you posted your own reviews of films/things in my review thread; that may really get the conversation going.
post #568 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by whnay. View Post

I'm not sure - it has a lot more plot holes than SW 1 - 3 and just as bad of a cast...

You are seriously underestimating the amount of plot holes in the SW prequels... Even though Prometheus has quite a few, this just isn't even close in my opinion. Btw, Aliens had several odd plot holes/illogical moments as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMRouse View Post

You had me with you in this thread till this post. confused.gif

nod[1].gif


For me it's the script and editing that is holding Prometheus back, that said I still enjoyed it. I'm also finally getting around to seeing it a second time tomorrow, let's see how it goes...
post #569 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01 View Post


I have mentioned 3–5 films, roughly; I don't know how you can gauge my film taste. Thank you for the other compliment. (You seem like a nice, intelligent person, but have, twice now, written something, that has ruined a majoritively smart post.)

If you're interested, and it's a work in progress, here is my 100 Greatest Films of All Time List.

Do you keep adding commas to my posts?
post #570 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by E,TF View Post

Do, you, keep, adding, commas, to, my, posts?

LOL, yes. Sorry, it's an annoying habit of mine: I fix people's punctuation.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Prometheus (Ridley Scott's Alien "Prequel" )