or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Query regarding SF etiquette
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Query regarding SF etiquette

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 

Hello

 

I have been lurking for a while but have been prompted to do my first post regarding SF etiquette recently due to seasonal sales behavior

 

Consider the case of someone who uses SF regularly for selling, posting etc. Then consider that said person "stumbles" upon a great deal on SF approved merchandise at very competitive prices

 

Is it ok for that someone to buy as much stock as possible and then sell it on SF, or is that considered bad form, and instead said person should acquire the goods needed for their personal use and then do a PSA?

 

txs

post #2 of 39
I find that PSAs are very subjective to location and stock. This is why the majority of the PSAs relate to online offers or virtual sales. I don't think there is anything wrong with buying items to flip if you have a great deal and the means to purchase the lot. Generally those that post a PSA for others do this because either they don't have the time to flip items or don't have the means to purchase in bulk.

Personally I have proxied items to many members, free of charge, as a good Samaritan. I feel it's my giving back to these fora. However, I don't think there is any shame or rule broken in buying in bulk and selling on here. In fact there are many on B&S that live by this same process.

All that said, what ya got? Let's have it. nod[1].gif
post #3 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post

I find that PSAs are very subjective to location and stock. This is why the majority of the PSAs relate to online offers or virtual sales. I don't think there is anything wrong with buying items to flip if you have a great deal and the means to purchase the lot. Generally those that post a PSA for others do this because either they don't have the time to flip items or don't have the means to purchase in bulk.
Personally I have proxied items to many members, free of charge, as a good Samaritan. I feel it's my giving back to these fora. However, I don't think there is any shame or rule broken in buying in bulk and selling on here. In fact there are many on B&S that live by this same process.
All that said, what ya got? Let's have it. nod[1].gif

This.

If you find great deals and want to make a buck, go for it. If you don't but want to pass on a great deal to others, that is great too.
post #4 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by poincare0 View Post

Hello

I have been lurking for a while but have been prompted to do my first post regarding SF etiquette recently due to seasonal sales behavior

Consider the case of someone who uses SF regularly for selling, posting etc. Then consider that said person "stumbles" upon a great deal on SF approved merchandise at very competitive prices

Is it ok for that someone to buy as much stock as possible and then sell it on SF, or is that considered bad form, and instead said person should acquire the goods needed for their personal use and then do a PSA?

txs

That's what every single major seller on this forum does, as well as the ones that are not so big.

Go for it.

And as the man said, whatchagot?
post #5 of 39
The one exception is for online deals that anyone can access. That's usually seen as uncool; and if someone shits up your thread for buying something that people want from Yoox or MrPorter snd then trying to flip it, for example, we'd probably look the other way. Doing this at C21 or some other discounter, or some B&M where you know the owner wants to get rid of stock, and it's essentially a (profitable) public service.
post #6 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

The one exception is for online deals that anyone can access. That's usually seen as uncool; and if someone shits up your thread for buying something that people want from Yoox or MrPorter snd then trying to flip it, for example, we'd probably look the other way. Doing this at C21 or some other discounter, or some B&M where you know the owner wants to get rid of stock, and it's essentially a (profitable) public service.


 



Quote:
Originally Posted by PipersSon View Post


That's what every single major seller on this forum does, as well as the ones that are not so big.
Go for it.
And as the man said, whatchagot?


Sadly bur predictably, you got me all wrong

 

I respect your opinions but I disagree in particular when we are talking about members operating on a relatively restricted hunting ground

The driver for this post is the xmas sales in London.

 

I am not putting myself up as an example to follow because I did not do any PSA but on the other hand I could have hoarded a lot of stuff and then flip it here but did not do it because I did not feel that was the right thing to do. So I guess I am somewhere in the middle.

 

On one extreme there was “inimitable” who amongst other info posted that Truzzi shirts were now on offer on Selfridges for £39.  A great deal which I took advantage of by buying few shirts for myself

 

On the other extreme we have Malphord of London- a long time contributor- which from what I see in the B&S forum acquired many of the Truzzi shirts which he is now flipping for £80, and 7 pairs of John Lobb Woodcotes (Prestige) in the Harrods sale at £415 and is now selling at £550 ( a reasonable mark up for sure) without any PSA. I bought a pair of brown Woodcotes for myself and left it at that as I don’t need any more and good deals always show up

 

Clearly if you live away from London a JLP Woodcote at £550 is a great deal, but if you live in London and like to go to the sales you just lost your opportunity for a good buy.

 

I can see both sides of the argument but cant help feeling that Malphord is a SF player, not what I would naively consider a SF member

Now, I know most of the people replying (not necessarily reading) wont agree with me because you are more ‘malphord’/players than you are “inimitable”/members- but that I for one admire “inimitable” and dislike ‘malphord’  

 

 

 

 

post #7 of 39
Well, I think that there are merits to both. Styleforum has clusters of members concentrated in (in order): NYC, LA, SF, Chicago, DC, and then, London, Toronto, but there are a lot of people scattered throughout North America, the EU, Australia, and Asia.

Most people do not have any access to sales in London. For those people, guys like Malford are clearly providing something that members want, and at a reasonable fee. Sure, for the minority of members in London, they may have to race resellers to get good deals, but I don't think that it's unfair to anyone, and there is a net benefit for the community.
post #8 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

Well, I think that there are merits to both. Styleforum has clusters of members concentrated in (in order): NYC, LA, SF, Chicago, DC, and then, London, Toronto, but there are a lot of people scattered throughout North America, the EU, Australia, and Asia.
Most people do not have any access to sales in London. For those people, guys like Malford are clearly providing something that members want, and at a reasonable fee. Sure, for the minority of members in London, they may have to race resellers to get good deals, but I don't think that it's unfair to anyone, and there is a net benefit for the community.

Well put.
post #9 of 39
not sure if this is a troll post to bag malford, but if so, fail. i've bought multiple items from stephen and i don't care what his markup was. i know what i paid and all prices were very fair, otherwise i'd not have purchased them.

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS FORUM'S OBSESSION WITH WHAT ANOTHER PAID FOR AN ITEM. people on this forum will walk away from an absolute outstanding deal because they deem another's relative markup too great. the (horrid) sibling is the seller who is emotionally tied to the concept of breaking-even when they gambled and lost on sizing, fit, quality expectations, style, or just had buyer's remorse.

bottom line, if you can get such a deal that items are still coveted at a markup that makes it worth your while...buy and resell away...buyers will appreciate your service. if you feel bad about poaching other london members' deals, you could always offer them a better deal when they PM you. if you are just bitter about getting poached yourself...some saying about birds and worms comes to mind.
post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

Well, I think that there are merits to both. Styleforum has clusters of members concentrated in (in order): NYC, LA, SF, Chicago, DC, and then, London, Toronto, but there are a lot of people scattered throughout North America, the EU, Australia, and Asia.
Most people do not have any access to sales in London. For those people, guys like Malford are clearly providing something that members want, and at a reasonable fee. Sure, for the minority of members in London, they may have to race resellers to get good deals, but I don't think that it's unfair to anyone, and there is a net benefit for the community.

+1. I live in what we in the U.S. refer to as flyover country. As such, I appreciate flipper/resellers.
post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by celeste_pista View Post

not sure if this is a troll post to bag malford, but if so, fail. i've bought multiple items from stephen and i don't care what his markup was. i know what i paid and all prices were very fair, otherwise i'd not have purchased them.
I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS FORUM'S OBSESSION WITH WHAT ANOTHER PAID FOR AN ITEM. people on this forum will walk away from an absolute outstanding deal because they deem another's relative markup too great. the (horrid) sibling is the seller who is emotionally tied to the concept of breaking-even when they gambled and lost on sizing, fit, quality expectations, style, or just had buyer's remorse.

Nicely put. If one feels that the mark-up is too much then just don't buy it. If someone makes decent money off the mark-up, but I find it to be a deal, then two parties are happy.The sellers here provide me the opportunity to buy items which I would have to drive two-and-a-half hours to get, and I wouldn't have any clue as to whether there would even be a discount to make the drive worthwhile.
post #12 of 39
Fire away, dude. No one's going to call you out for making a buck here.
post #13 of 39
I'm probably on one extreme end in saying it's a good service to 'flip' merchandise. I've definitely saved a few thousand dollars from buying on the forum as opposed to going retail (prices in Canada are crazy high - much higher retail markup than in the states).

That being said, it's always appreciated if someone proxies for free. If not, no worries.
post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by poincare0 View Post


I can see both sides of the argument but cant help feeling that Malphord is a SF player, not what I would naively consider a SF member
Now, I know most of the people replying (not necessarily reading) wont agree with me because you are more ‘malphord’/players than you are “inimitable”/members- but that I for one admire “inimitable” and dislike ‘malphord’  

Most people don't agree with you. The B&S forums are the third most popular forum after the core Men's Clothing and Streetwear&Denim forums. A rough estimate puts the number of pageviews in B&S at about 1-1.5MM per month.
post #15 of 39
I think the points are related to the forum "maturing" and that people realized the money to be made from flipping. Back in the old days there were huge threads about the sales currently ongoing and I met a number of members at such sales. I fear those days are gone.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Query regarding SF etiquette