or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Nearly 40 and my body is falling apart - what to do???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nearly 40 and my body is falling apart - what to do???

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 
I have a bad back, hip, knee, shoulder, ankle and wrist. My Knee, Back and Hip can cause me to be in major pain, and now surgery has been suggested for for my Knee.

I was a serous athlete up till about 25. Given I was a very aggressive player in contacts sports at a high level, I am sure that has allot to do with my body breaking down. Then I was doing tri's and lots of running, biking and swimming just to keep fit. But I fear this just did more damage to my joints. I then tried the taking it easy routine and put in 30 lbs, that I am sure isn't any good for me, and my knee and back just got worse.

So now what? I got to get allot more years out of this body, I go ahead and drop some weight, and get back in the pool, but other than that I am at a loss of what to do to keep these old bones moving around.
post #2 of 38
Oh, agree, it's no fun getting old. I used to have many aches and pains also, but found relief when eating low carb. As an experiment you might try avoiding wheat for a few weeks to see if you feel better. Have been reading many testimonials of late about others eating gluten free and finding relief from chronic pain.

For example recall seeing this:

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/12/pass-the-little-debbies-snack-cakes/

Part of the article:
Quote:
Wheat Belly Blog reader, David, tells his wonderful success story of rapid weight loss and freedom from food cravings and body aches:

I started the diet about 2 weeks ago. I have lost 14 pounds so far (I started at 285).

Amazingly, I have lived with constant pain and numbness in my body, often down to the bones, for maybe about 5 years. I often described it to doctors as the same feeling you get with the flu, an aching weakness. Albeit without the symptoms of a fever, etc. They would smile and mumble something about ibuprofen or other pain killers and move on.

So, after reading the Wheat Belly book, it hit me with a ton of bricks, and it hurt. But it was a good pain. Anyway, I had always tried different diets, and often saw the best results with Atkins. But I would always eat some of the “low-carb” wraps or things like that on the diet… Ingredient number 3? Wheat flour. I would still be in pain though throughout the Atkins diet. Now, don’t get me wrong, I would lose some weight, but the cravings for carbs would never go away, so it was a constant temptation to get off and splurge… It would always be justified ‘just this once’, which turned into ‘just this weekend’, which eventually turned into, ‘I already screwed up, pass the Little Debbie’s snack cakes!’....
post #3 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff in vancouver View Post

I have a bad back, hip, knee, shoulder, ankle and wrist. My Knee, Back and Hip can cause me to be in major pain, and now surgery has been suggested for for my Knee.
I was a serous athlete up till about 25. Given I was a very aggressive player in contacts sports at a high level, I am sure that has allot to do with my body breaking down. Then I was doing tri's and lots of running, biking and swimming just to keep fit. But I fear this just did more damage to my joints. I then tried the taking it easy routine and put in 30 lbs, that I am sure isn't any good for me, and my knee and back just got worse.
So now what? I got to get allot more years out of this body, I go ahead and drop some weight, and get back in the pool, but other than that I am at a loss of what to do to keep these old bones moving around.

I'm flying blind with this post, but I was reading in a running book where the author made the assertion that a lot of injuries tend to stem from bad form or musculature imbalances. At some point, you heal the injury, and then you work on the form. This advice was specific to runners, but I could see applicability to cycling and swimming.

Furthermore, the author gave the advice that caloric restriction wasn't optimal - it was more a matter of better diet and training and letting the results fall where they fall.

FWIW, I'm 40 and training for my second marathon. In any case, good luck!
post #4 of 38
I would suggest that you see several Dr's and particularly specialists to evaluate your pain. My brother has had several very successful surgeries (both shoulders, both knees) which have allowed him to continue long distance bike riding (he is 55 and circled most of Michigan last summer). He did have to give up running after doing several marathons. He can no longer do exercises where he lifts weight above his shoulder height.

You may need to give up certain activities and sports. You need to evaluate that with a professional.

If you have been "taking it easy" then you have lost important muscle and are more prone to aches and pains. You should research with your DR and a trainer the areas that need to be built up and the best way to do that. You may find that much of your pain will go away after gaining back muscle tone.

Gaining weight puts enormous strain on your knees, and feet. Dropping 20+lbs will do wonders for improving them.

Swimming works wonders for some folks but not all. My neighbor found hiking worked for him even though he had suffered from a bad back, knees and ankles. He does 5 miles a day and looks fit as anyone his age.
post #5 of 38
I hear you. I like playing soccer, but as a concession to my age, I can only play every other day. With me, it's my feet (well, my right elbow is fried also from years of playing baseball and softball). I just can't run every day. On the off days, I'll bike or golf or do weight training or nothing. Try alternating activities that stress different joints, more low impact stuff like biking, swimming, walking.
post #6 of 38
Do yoga. (0)
post #7 of 38
Are you getting enough vitamins? From veggies / fruits and a multivitamin supplement.

Sidenote: I hate veggies, but I sure do feel better when I eat them everyday.
post #8 of 38

Try to follow a paleo diet. thats the gluten and wheat free thing. I eat like that even at a young age. I feel it helps my athletic performance.

post #9 of 38
I sometimes feel like my body is falling apart, and I'm only 27 uhoh.gif
post #10 of 38
I'm 45, been exercising pretty much all my life and am also feeling the pain. I cant run as much as I used to. I can't lift as much either. I am doing what Chet31 mentioned. Alternating activities and at a less intensity. This may not be pleasant, but if I push myself, I get injured then no exercise, which leads to prolonged recovery.

The ultimate goal is to keep moving!
post #11 of 38

Wow. Assuming by your comments you are all < 40-45  you'd better start to catch this now before it is too late. The chronic pain/weakness? get thyroid checked and a hormone panel. Start walking long distances/bike ride and don't run when feeling any pain. Get your weight down to <10% body fat. Free weights. Yoga. Eliminate/reduce sugars and try low wheat diet, replace with vegetables/brown rice/non -wheat breads.

post #12 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonLehndorff View Post

Wow. Assuming by your comments you are all < 40-45  you'd better start to catch this now before it is too late. The chronic pain/weakness? get thyroid checked and a hormone panel. Start walking long distances/bike ride and don't run when feeling any pain. Get your weight down to <10% body fat. Free weights. Yoga. Eliminate/reduce sugars and try low wheat diet, replace with vegetables/brown rice/non -wheat breads.

There is really no reason to get his body fat that low, except for aesthetic reasons.
post #13 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonLehndorff View Post

Free weights.

Free weighs are what are causing me to feel like I'm falling apart! Probably because I only started them recently and have never really done any sport or heavy lifting prior to this, so hopefully my body will gradually get used to it. It also doesn't help that I had scoliosis and have had surgery on my spine to correct it.
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78 View Post


There is really no reason to get his body fat that low, except for aesthetic reasons.

true, but if you set that as a goal, maybe you'll get in the teens. My point is that excess weight punishes joints.

 

 

post #15 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicPac View Post

Try to follow a paleo diet. thats the gluten and wheat free thing. I eat like that even at a young age. I feel it helps my athletic performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonLehndorff View Post

Wow. Assuming by your comments you are all < 40-45  you'd better start to catch this now before it is too late. The chronic pain/weakness? get thyroid checked and a hormone panel. Start walking long distances/bike ride and don't run when feeling any pain. Get your weight down to <10% body fat. Free weights. Yoga. Eliminate/reduce sugars and try low wheat diet, replace with vegetables/brown rice/non -wheat breads.

Lol at paleo/gluten wheat free
Lol at saying a 40 year old man needs to be below 10% bf
Lol at telling someone with major knee,back and hip pain who possibly needs surgery to lift
Edited by fuji - 1/11/12 at 9:42am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Nearly 40 and my body is falling apart - what to do???