or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Fill in the missing pieces
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fill in the missing pieces

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

bdf8a412.jpg?t=1325317559

 

I'm looking for the key missing elements in this collection.  I rarely wear ties at work and can wear dark dress denim on most days that don't have important meetings.  I don't tend to wear loafers much hence the just ok Cole Haan loafers from a while back.  What do you guys think the best purchases I could make to round this out would be?  Some ideas I have are:

 

Black Cap Toe:

534561992_o.jpg

 

Brown Wingtips:

916ihSoiXGL._SL1500_.jpg

 

Engineer Boots:

spacer.gifIMG_1766.jpg

 

 

FYI yes I will sneak boots in now and then if I know I may use a little elbow grease for the day as I work in commercial real estate.  Thanks in advance for the advice.

post #2 of 18
Black cap-toes and brown wingtips are both good ideas. You might want to consider leather soles. Maybe chukkah boots or Chelseas? Wolverine 1000 mile boots for your "engineer" style?
post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 

^  The Wolverine boots are a nice suggestion thanks.  

post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuyTom View Post

I'm looking for the key missing elements in this collection.  I rarely wear ties at work and can wear dark dress denim...

I've never heard of 'dress denim' before. Would that be denim without holes and fading? lurker[1].gif
post #5 of 18
^ Grosgrain stripe down the outside pants seam. teacha.gif
OP, you might want to consider something in burgundy as well, perhaps the wingtips.
post #6 of 18
How many missing pieces are you willing to consider?
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KObalto View Post

^ Grosgrain stripe down the outside pants seam. teacha.gif
OP, you might want to consider something in burgundy as well, perhaps the wingtips.

lol8[1].gif
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by acridsheep View Post

How many missing pieces are you willing to consider?

You're just jealous of his collection. Man up. nod[1].gif
post #9 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by acridsheep View Post

How many missing pieces are you willing to consider?


Lol, well list what you think the most important one is and then add a couple more suggestions on top of that.  3 seems to be a reasonable goal to achieve within a reasonable time period. smile.gif

post #10 of 18
^ Acquire the first two pairs of shoes you came up with yourself. Then throw everything else away except for the Frye boots, the desert boots, and (maybe) the black medallion boots.
post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint View Post


I've never heard of 'dress denim' before. Would that be denim without holes and fading? lurker[1].gif


Ha!  Well since I feel I'm "sneaking" denim in to work I stick with dark wash straight / straight slims with minimal if any fading.  Then I tend to dress up the jeans via dress shirts / blazers / sweaters and hopefully intelligent shoe choices.  Honestly before this career path I worked in the music industry so I'm still educating myself on classic style / business style.

post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by acridsheep View Post

^ Acquire the first two pairs of shoes you came up with yourself. Then throw everything else away except for the Frye boots, the desert boots, and (maybe) the black medallion boots.


I pretty much agree with this...  The black dress chukkas I like even if I end up wearing them less @ work and more other places.  The bluchers kinda the same thing although I have no attachment to them.

post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuyTom View Post

 Honestly before this career path I worked in the music industry so I'm still educating myself on classic style / business style.

Reminds me of spiffy!
"DISCLAIMER: I work in the music industry, so my style, perception, and budget are probably drastically different than the majority here!"
post #14 of 18
Brown suede - chukkas, bluchers, loafers
post #15 of 18
Thread Starter 

Well I just ordered the black Santoni cap toes I had pictured about via http://myworld.ebay.com/shoezen/?_trksid=p4340.l2559 .  A black cap toe I think you guys would agree was necessary.  Let's say I need a solid brown shoe next.  Wing or Cap?  Suede or leather?  Also I'm really up in the air about what shade of brown and am not sure what would be the most versatile. The one I pictured above was made by To Boot New York which is an ok maker.  In fact the Blucher black shoe in my collection is made by them.

 

Any advice or links worth checking out?  FYI I'm still doing my own research and not just being lazy letting you guys do all the work mwink[1].gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Fill in the missing pieces