or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Kitchen Tools
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kitchen Tools - Page 12

post #166 of 290

I'm sure you guys have heard of Lodge, yes?  Best cast iron for the money.  I think my 10 inch skillet cost like... $20 or something like that.  Eat your heart out Le Crueset lol

 

After ever use, let the pan cool, put it under warm water, i have a bristle brush, scrub lightly until surface is clean... wipe dry.  Done.  Every once in a while i'll put a coat of veggie oil on the inside of the pan. 

post #167 of 290
Douglas, I'll +2 the EdgePro, I picked one up a several months ago after FG recommended it and it's idiot proof. It'll also sharpen anything you put in it (ie. shears, serrated, double, and single edge knives). Only real maintenance is flattening the stones out once in awhile.

Anyone care to reccomend a juicer? I've been using a Blendtec and cheesecloth thus far, and needless to say, that's getting old.
post #168 of 290
Speaking of seasoning... I didn't see this posted here, but apologies if it's a repeat: http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

The science seemed legit, and none of my actual scientist friends called bullshit on it.
post #169 of 290
The slow juicers are better than the fast juicers in that they don't make the juices oxidize as quickly. Other than that, the brands are basically the same.
post #170 of 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjr4884 View Post

I'm sure you guys have heard of Lodge, yes?  Best cast iron for the money.  I think my 10 inch skillet cost like... $20 or something like that.  Eat your heart out Le Crueset lol

After ever use, let the pan cool, put it under warm water, i have a bristle brush, scrub lightly until surface is clean... wipe dry.  Done.  Every once in a while i'll put a coat of veggie oil on the inside of the pan. 


I have a Lodge. Absolutely great value, great stuff. I have a round 10.5" and one of the square ones for corn bread/spoon bread:


post #171 of 290
We've had a Champion Juicer for about ten years now. Nothing to compare to, but it's doing a great job and seems very solid (commercial). Actually comes from the US, so there you go. Their website looks a little odd.
post #172 of 290
For the lice of me I cannot figure out why people use cast iron.
post #173 of 290
Cocotte (but yeah, I wouldn't want to use a non-"emaille'd" cocotte either)!
post #174 of 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1os View Post

Cocotte!

Well, you are talking about enameled cast iron, then. Those are great. Regular American campfire cast iron is not.
post #175 of 290
Yeah, I quickly edited it. Not quick enough. wink.gif
post #176 of 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsstillmatt View Post

For the lice of me I cannot figure out why people use cast iron.

Its a traditional way of making breads, specifically corn bread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsstillmatt View Post

Well, you are talking about enameled cast iron, then. Those are great. Regular American campfire cast iron is not.

What makes you say that?
post #177 of 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Its a traditional way of making breads, specifically corn bread.
What makes you say that?

OK, I don't eat cornbread, so I can't say anything about it.

I dislike cast iron in general because it heats unevenly, responds to temperature change slowly, the seasoning comes off with acidic ingredients, you can't wash it quickly, it's too heavy to maneuver, and probably some other things I can't think of right now. It strikes me as cult cookware rather than functional cookware.
post #178 of 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsstillmatt View Post

OK, I don't eat cornbread, so I can't say anything about it.

I dislike cast iron in general because it heats unevenly, responds to temperature change slowly, the seasoning comes off with acidic ingredients, you can't wash it quickly, it's too heavy to maneuver, and probably some other things I can't think of right now. It strikes me as cult cookware rather than functional cookware.

Its not a pan I'd use for much. They are surprisingly good for French Toast, and before the Panini maker this was it with a weight on top. Its also a good pan to use over an outdoor grill. Southerners use it to make fried chicken.

Cast iron is noted for its heat distribution, so I disagree there. But temperature changes very, very slowly so its easy to burn stuff in and needs attention.


Quote:
Originally Posted by itsstillmatt View Post

Well, you are talking about enameled cast iron, then. Those are great. Regular American campfire cast iron is not.

What is it about enameled that doesn't share the complaints you've mentioned above?
post #179 of 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Its not a pan I'd use for much. They are surprisingly good for French Toast, and before the Panini maker this was it with a weight on top. Its also a good pan to use over an outdoor grill. Southerners use it to make fried chicken.

Cast iron is noted for its heat distribution, so I disagree there. But temperature changes very, very slowly so its easy to burn stuff in and needs attention.

It really doesn't matter what it is known for, what matters is what is true, and the truth is that heat distribution is awful...


http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/02/everything-you-need-to-know-about-cast-iron-cooking.html

Quote:
What is it about enameled that doesn't share the complaints you've mentioned above?

An enameled cast iron cocotte doesn't react with acidic ingredients, because the metal is sealed off, doesn't need to be maneuvered because it is specifically for long cooking processes, and because of that the lack of response to temperature change moves from being a negative to a positive, and because most things cooked in them include liquid, the unevenness of the heating doesn't matter so much because water's top temperature functions as a regulator. So basically it has none of the problems of a cast iron skillet.
post #180 of 290
Cast iron is indeed very uneven... But I love it anyways. Admittedly purely for sentimental reasons, but I love it nonetheless. I use mine mostly to roast chickens and fry bacon, so the unevenness isn't as big of a deal.

I will say that cast iron is better than just about any other cheap cookware--I'd take cast iron over some paper thin shitty frying pan any day of the week.

Love my Le Creuset Dutch Oven though... That thing gets used a ton.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Kitchen Tools