or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › First time wearing leather sole dress shoes... am I doing something wrong?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First time wearing leather sole dress shoes... am I doing something wrong? - Page 4

post #46 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asian Afro View Post

I shouldn't have borrowed Reevolving's vocabulary. The sound my shoes make is more like clacking than clip-clop. I'd be surprised if yours don't make the same sound, Vox.

Mine make the sound the same way as in the Monty Python video...someone follows me around with hollow coconuts.
post #47 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

Well, leather breathes. Leather conforms to the shape of your foot. Leather is better for the shoe and better for the environment.

I agree, but what about winter boots? How were the soles made before rubber? Were the soles just plain leather and people wore crampons? Was there anything that could be done to give leather soles themselves more traction?

I don't like overshoes, but I also don't have the space at work to store three pairs of different coloured shoes. (Real estate is at a premium so the client puts well-paid consultants in cubicles meant for guys working in a call centre.) As I take public transit, trudging through snow and slush is a given in winter. I'm looking for a stylish alternative to Neos overshoes. No, I don't think SWIMS quite cut it either.

I want kick-ass, all-leather dress winter boots with great traction that can be worn indoors as well as out. Is that a fantasy?
post #48 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

Mine make the sound the same way as in the Monty Python video...someone follows me around with hollow coconuts.

laugh.gif I haven't thought of that movie in a long time.
post #49 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asian Afro View Post

I agree, but what about winter boots? How were the soles made before rubber? Were the soles just plain leather and people wore crampons? Was there anything that could be done to give leather soles themselves more traction?
I don't like overshoes, but I also don't have the space at work to store three pairs of different coloured shoes. (Real estate is at a premium so the client puts well-paid consultants in cubicles meant for guys working in a call centre.) As I take public transit, trudging through snow and slush is a given in winter. I'm looking for a stylish alternative to Neos overshoes. No, I don't think SWIMS quite cut it either.
I want kick-ass, all-leather dress winter boots with great traction that can be worn indoors as well as out. Is that a fantasy?

Do the patrickBOOTH and get yourself some winter skull crushers.
DSC02443.jpg
post #50 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

Mine make the sound the same way as in the Monty Python video...someone follows me around with hollow coconuts.

Great, now I'm wondering if I have weird gait. confused.gif Only my dress shoes make sound.
post #51 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asian Afro View Post

Damn, I walk like a farm hand.
My dress shoes don't fit perfectly but they fit better than my thick rubber-soled Rockports, for example, and my Rockports don't make sounds. My rubber-soled AE and Barker (wet-day shoes) clack just as much as all my leather-soled ones. Not noisy, but not silent. Perhaps that is what you mean
.

Unless I'm mistaken, your Rockports have a "crepe" sole on them. They probably won't make any noise--crepe's essentially foam rubber.
post #52 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asian Afro View Post

Great, now I'm wondering if I have weird gait. confused.gif Only my dress shoes make sound.

My dress shoes make noise. I like it. This one guy at work when I went to his desk told me he always knows when I am approaching. This might be bad for my evening rituals however...
post #53 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Do the patrickBOOTH and get yourself some winter skull crushers.
DSC02443.jpg

Deets on those boots, please. smile.gif I searched on " skull crusher boots" and got hits on World of Warcraft.
post #54 of 97
They were made to order from Rider Boot Company. Ron, the owner, might strangle us both if you try to order them. He had to mix patterns from like 5 different boots or something to make these. Drove the factory insane. "Skull Crusher" was just a term used to describe them by I believe member, MBreinin.
post #55 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

They were made to order from Rider Boot Company. Ron, the owner, might strangle us both if you try to order them. He had to mix patterns from like 5 different boots or something to make these. Drove the factory insane. "Skull Crusher" was just a term used to describe them by I believe member, MBreinin.

Damn. I'm still waiting for my first pair of bespoke shoes from Jon Gray. If they turned out well, I might ask for a pair of bespoke winter boots.

Your boots look like they have commando soles. I'd like to see DWFII's thoughts on all-leather (including the soles) winter boots. I sometimes slip on marble with leather soles. Don't know how one can avoid slipping on snow and ice with leather.
post #56 of 97
Many animals have leather feet, and go about the winter without a care in the world except eat or be eaten.
post #57 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

Many animals have leather feet, and go about the winter without a care in the world except eat or be eaten.

True. I slip sometimes, but rarely fall. I guess it's the same for the other animals, but they probably have better balance due to walking on all fours.

It can be fun watching a squirrel struggling to climb an icy slope to reach my door for peanuts, though.
post #58 of 97


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

Many animals have leather feet, and go about the winter without a care in the world except eat or be eaten.


 

Actually most of the animals that have "leather" are bovine and have hoofs, not leather on their feet. And others have claws and pads not leather feet. Just saying....

 

With the exception of the environmental aspect the whole rubber half sole vs. leather debate is commonly and often hotly debated. I have yet to see empirical evidence that leather soles are better. Just speculation and theory without proof. Put an instant read thermometer on leather soles and it reads ambient air temp unless you have been walking in them causing surface friction. Not sure why the hate on farm hands but I work at a large world renown medical facility with many Doctors and staff wearing leather soles on miles of tile and marble. You can hear from a long distance away if someone has leather soles or not. I'm not quite prepared to tell the Docs that they sound like farm hands LOL. Some rubber soles including the Vibram on my AE Bayfields deserve the name commando because they are totally silent. I do like the sound and feel of leather soles and have left most of them as is except toe taps. But rubber soles make the most sense for much of the year where I am.

 

 

 

post #59 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asian Afro View Post

I guess it's the same for the other animals, but they probably have better balance due to walking on all fours.

The solution is just within your grasp...

What kind of gloves do you have?
post #60 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post


 


 

Actually most of the animals that have "leather" are bovine and have hoofs, not leather on their feet. And others have claws and pads not leather feet. Just saying....


You've revitalized my respect for The Farmer. I hope that your example will encourage more of your earthy brethren to post on SF, for the SF of today has lost its deep connection to the soil, the very loam from which most members spring tuber-like.

Yea, verily: the beasts of the field knoweth the walking of the lands in the winter, be they hooved, clawed, or shod (if they be horsies or one of heismatt's pugs.)
Edited by F. Corbera - 12/28/11 at 4:30pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › First time wearing leather sole dress shoes... am I doing something wrong?