or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › My Tailor Threw Me Out
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Tailor Threw Me Out

post #1 of 97
Thread Starter 

-


Edited by PtrckHmphrys - 2/20/12 at 11:03am
post #2 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by PtrckHmphrys View Post


It seems to me that if he would just cater to the customer's requests, while perhaps making expert suggestions along the way, he'd fare better in terms of reputation, rather than by exercising pridefulness and elitism that's potentially more damaging.



Just because the customer wants crap doesn't mean you should provide it. In the long run providing crap will only hurt you.
post #3 of 97
Why are you getting so worked up over a pair of J. Crew chinos?

confused.gif

If he's truly been working as a tailor for 40 years then it's a fair bet he knows what he's talking about. Take his advice.
post #4 of 97
I find it to be an interesting point. While I can see where you're coming from in terms of the "customer is always right" approach, I think that your argument rests on the assertion that the product (in this case trousers) is ultimately trivial and of no consequence. If it weren't so easy to consider this persons product trivial, this would probably be much different. For example, if you took your car to a mechanic and asked for work to be done that would cause the car to not work properly, no one would argue with the mechanic for refusing. In the case of trousers it is more subjective, and arguably 'trivial', but maybe not to the tailor, because after all, this craft is the basis of his livelyhood. I think tailors have the right to refuse work if they feel the need to. You can always find someone else who might be willing to do it.
post #5 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola View Post

Just because the customer wants crap doesn't mean you should provide it. In the long run providing crap will only hurt you.

Probably true in the case of tailor-made clothing, but here we're talking about slimming the leg of a pair of OTR khakis - who would ever know that this particular tailor did the work (or that the khakis were even altered in the first place).
post #6 of 97
I came in here expecting a story about how your tailor literally threw you out.
post #7 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidus View Post

I came in here expecting a story about how your tailor literally threw you out.

nod[1].gif I am disappointed in this thread.
post #8 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS7 View Post

Why are you getting so worked up over a pair of J. Crew chinos?
confused.gif
If he's truly been working as a tailor for 40 years then it's a fair bet he knows what he's talking about. Take his advice.


Believe me, I'm not getting worked up. It's difficult to gauge tone through text.

 

I just wanted to share my trivial little experience with a like-minded party to gain some perspective.

post #9 of 97
I have refused to do (and still refuse to) many alterations that would either destroy the integrity of the garment or would never end up right. If a tailor will do anything, then he much not have much work.
post #10 of 97
How did you come by this measurement of a 22" thigh? I think the answer may be the problem and reveal the tailors reasoning.
post #11 of 97
Welcome to Style Forum.

You are in the wrong here, in many ways. You also come across as a petulant and vindictive jackass.
post #12 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by viator View Post


Probably true in the case of tailor-made clothing, but here we're talking about slimming the leg of a pair of OTR khakis - who would ever know that this particular tailor did the work (or that the khakis were even altered in the first place).


My point exactly.

post #13 of 97
perhaps the tailor was right when he said the legs would twist if taken in further. there is a limit as to what can be done. if this is the case he knows that taking on a job that will not turn out well is a fool's game as in the end both the customer and he will be unhappy.

perhaps he just didn't want to do it because he thought it outside the bounds of good taste.

in either case he is under no obligation to take in any work he doesn't wish to take in.

take your work elsewhere, apparently you both will be happier.
post #14 of 97
I can understand that the tailor does not want his name (and reputation) associated with am alteration which he feels could potentially reflect poorly on him.

I have refused the requests of clients once or twice over the last thirty years in my field (not tailoring). Sometimes a client will ask for something that goes against the grain of your principles, or for something that simply will not work, or is too risky. Part of what clients pay me for is my expert opinion, and I feel well within my rights to refuse to perform work that I disagree with, whether the client thinks so or not.

Accept his position and find another tailor for this particular piece of work .
post #15 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post

Welcome to Style Forum.
You are in the wrong here, in many ways. You also come across as a petulant and vindictive jackass.

Nice welcome effort. I think this is unduly harsh and I don't agree that he comes across and "petulant and vindictive" at all. He doesn't describe any argument or any spiteful/vengeful behavior.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › My Tailor Threw Me Out