or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › The Hobbit (film series)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Hobbit (film series) - Page 6

post #76 of 300
A miniseries or series would be a good idea except that it would be incredibly expensive to create.

And to answer Manton's question with my opinion - the tale of Numenor could be a 2.5 hour movie just on its own.
post #77 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

A miniseries or series would be a good idea except that it would be incredibly expensive to create.
And to answer Manton's question with my opinion - the tale of Numenor could be a 2.5 hour movie just on its own.

So many segments of the Tolkien legendarium could be made into hours-long features. I think that is what makes him one of the great minds in the history of fiction. Some will criticize this claim but LotR is probably the most significant fiction of the 20th century. Is there a book/books that had an influence like LotR? It's the quintessence of an entire genre. That's huge. And it's just a once-in-a-lifetime work of art plain and simple.
post #78 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post

Anyone who has ever taken an English course after middle school will criticize this claim but LotR is probably the most significant fiction of the 20th century.

FTFY.

But considering where I'm posting I expect a beat down in 5,4,3,2.....
post #79 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johdus Fanfoozal View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post

Anyone who has ever taken an English course after middle school will criticize this claim but LotR is probably the most significant fiction of the 20th century.

FTFY.

But considering where I'm posting I expect a beat down in 5,4,3,2.....

......1 You stupid fucking idiot!!!!


Just kidding, but you need to consider the word Conne used, "significant", and understand the way he is using it. LoTR was influenced by WW II and his overall work is the result of a lifetime of scholarship of the whole breadth of the English language along with all the ancient languages, histories, and myths that helped create it as well as what arose from it. Furthermore his works then influenced other authors, artists, musicians, and pop culture over the decades.
post #80 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

......1 You stupid fucking idiot!!!!
Just kidding, but you need to consider the word Conne used, "significant", and understand the way he is using it. LoTR was influenced by WW II and his overall work is the result of a lifetime of scholarship of the whole breadth of the English language along with all the ancient languages, histories, and myths that helped create it as well as what arose from it. Furthermore his works then influenced other authors, artists, musicians, and pop culture over the decades.

I think he was speaking of significance in terms of influence. And while one could argue that Tolkein created a genre (or at least fused it together) and remains a huge influence on pop culture, there were writers that affected significantly greater societal change in the 20th century. There's Hemingway and Fitzgerald ushering in the radical changes of the jazz age rather than simply chronicling it. Or Ellison eloquently exposing racism beyond Jim Crow lunch counters. Or Joyce and Faulkner reinventing narration. Or Vonnegut, Heller and Greene using absurdity as a moral hammer across the head following the bloodiest era in human history.

I loved LOTR growing up. I read in backwards when I was 10 because I mistakenly picked up Return first and didn't have enough money to buy Fellowship (the library never had it in stock) until a month later. Those books were my life for about a year. But others came a calling.
post #81 of 300
FTR, LTR was not really influences by WW2. WW1, yes, very much
post #82 of 300
Tolkien didn't accept the belief that his works were an allegory for either war.
post #83 of 300
Not allegory, but he certainly affirmed many times that he was heavily influenced by his experience in the trenches.
post #84 of 300
That is likely correct. It's been a while since I read up on this, but remember that he disliked the widespread belief that LOTR was a WW2 allegory.
post #85 of 300
he definitely did deny that.
post #86 of 300
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadly7 View Post

https://www.facebook.com/notes/peter-jackson/an-unexpected-journey/10151114596546558
Peter Jackson has announced they are working on a 'bridge' movie to connect the events in Bilbo Baggins' "The Hobbit" story to how Middle Earth gets to be in its state in the start of The Lord of the Rings.

From http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=35053

Movie 1: "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" - 2012-12-14
Movie 2: "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" - 2013-12-13
Movie 3: "The Hobbit: There and Back Again" - 2014-07-18
post #87 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMRouse View Post

That is likely correct. It's been a while since I read up on this, but remember that he disliked the widespread belief that LOTR was a WW2 allegory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

he definitely did deny that.

Interesting. Regardless, the story in LOTR was timely when in context of the threat of Nazi Germany.
post #88 of 300
LotR virtually created the fantasy genre as we now know it. From Willow to Game of Thrones to Dungeons & Dragons, it all circles back to Tolkein. It's an amazing feat.
post #89 of 300
Thread Starter 

Official Trailer 2!
post #90 of 300
i am excite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › The Hobbit (film series)