or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › The Hobbit (film series)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Hobbit (film series) - Page 16

post #226 of 293

Needs the gig.

 

lefty

post #227 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

I want to say it looks cartoon-y, but by that I'm not talking about the picture quality. I'm talking about the way Peter Jackson has been running the action scenes. If I'm going to see Legolas jump up onto an Oliphaunt, kill everyone aboard and then slide down the tail like he's on a skateboard, I'd rather watch a Pixar movie.

That was my big issue with Return of the King, and The Hobbit took it even further throughout that cave scene.

The Fellowship and The Two Towers had much more gritty realism about them, and didn't let the effects get out of hand. I found myself able to immerse better into those movies.

 

Agree.  I still thoroughly enjoy the movies, but the "hollywood" effects of the battle scenes could stand to be tamed.  I'll still watch and enjoy them, and proudly keep a copy in my movie collection, but I'll roll my eyes at the "Legolas slides down the tail like he's on a skateboard" parts (or worse yet, when he used a shield as a surfboard in the Two Towers battle at Helm's Deep).

post #228 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDFS View Post

What the hell is Legolas doing in this movie?
he was from the kingdom of the wood elves who imprisoned the drwarves and he would have been alive at that time, though he does not appear in the book. But when you have to pad a 200 page book into 9 hours of film, you do what you have to do.
post #229 of 293
This explanation sickens me for the sense it makes.

Thank you.
post #230 of 293
I think it will be a gratuitous "Hey, look who it is! Do you remember this guy?" like 3CPO and R2D2 in Episode 1. It also creates the same plot hole of nothing being said about it in the future. Legolas meets Frodo and says absolutely nothing about Bilbo? Really?

If they had a quick shot of him walking by without saying a word, or in a group of elves with no mention I'd probably think his inclusion was clever.
post #231 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggs View Post

I think it will be a gratuitous "Hey, look who it is! Do you remember this guy?" like 3CPO and R2D2 in Episode 1. It also creates the same plot hole of nothing being said about it in the future. Legolas meets Frodo and says absolutely nothing about Bilbo? Really?

If they had a quick shot of him walking by without saying a word, or in a group of elves with no mention I'd probably think his inclusion was clever.

 

Eh... that part doesn't bother me.  It isn't like the movie has to "show" every single thing said between characters.  I assume you are referring to the Fellowship of the Ring, when Frodo meets Legolas at Rivendell?  Bilbo and Legolas are already at Rivendell when Frodo arrives with his companions, so their link is already understood and therefore no comment like "hey! I know your uncle!" is needed from Legolas.  They camp out at Rivendell for a period of time, preparing for their journey, so it isn't like we are supposed to assume that we know about every conversation they have and it isn't crucial to the plot of the film.  

post #232 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

Agree.  I still thoroughly enjoy the movies, but the "hollywood" effects of the battle scenes could stand to be tamed.  I'll still watch and enjoy them, and proudly keep a copy in my movie collection, but I'll roll my eyes at the "Legolas slides down the tail like he's on a skateboard" parts (or worse yet, when he used a shield as a surfboard in the Two Towers battle at Helm's Deep).

Yeah. That was like this epic gritty battle with the Rohirrim facing impending doom and that Kamikaze Uruk-Hai and major sacrifice and death...and then you have an elf doing a bit of surfing...

just massive cringe...
post #233 of 293
I'll wait for the porn version: Lord Of The C**k Rings with Dildo Baggins, Scroto, etc.
post #234 of 293
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadly7 View Post


teaser trailer for Desolation of Smaug.

This one looks like it will be the majority of the action sequences. I hope they actually include Bilbo-Smaug, but I feel they may save it for film 3..

The score sounds like it's going to kick ass again. Was a huge fan of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey's score.

The Bilbo-Smaug scene is, most definitely, in this movie.
post #235 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadly7 View Post

The Bilbo-Smaug scene is, most definitely, in this movie.

 

Looks awesome, can't wait. :nodding:

post #236 of 293
I just got a tingle down there watching that trailer.
post #237 of 293
The Disney-fication of the first movie makes me much less excited to see this one. This is a very sad feeling considering how many days I've wasted watching the extended versions of the LotR trilogy.
post #238 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

The Disney-fication of the first movie makes me much less excited to see this one. This is a very sad feeling considering how many days I've wasted watching the extended versions of the LotR trilogy.

It's weird because there were moments in the first movie that they obviously took way too seriously but then an over-the-top cartoonish scene would follow. Just a hodgepodge of a film overall.
post #239 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7 View Post


It's weird because there were moments in the first movie that they obviously took way too seriously but then an over-the-top cartoonish scene would follow. Just a hodgepodge of a film overall.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

The Disney-fication of the first movie makes me much less excited to see this one. This is a very sad feeling considering how many days I've wasted watching the extended versions of the LotR trilogy.

 

 

I agree.  I'll probably wait to download the next two.  I plan on giving them all a watch, and then hope the fan-base will make an optimized edit that is serious and comical when appropriate.

 

Plus, I hope there is less of an emphasis on Azog.  It's maddening to see him in the film when he is long-dead by the time of "The Hobbit" book.

post #240 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

The Disney-fication of the first movie makes me much less excited to see this one. This is a very sad feeling considering how many days I've wasted watching the extended versions of the LotR trilogy.

QFT. The first one was bad enough that I have no real desire to see neither this, or the final one.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › The Hobbit (film series)