or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Affordable Swag Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Affordable Swag Thread - Page 7

post #91 of 448
does that mean i am not cool style i own 0 leather cry.gif
(or maybe 64 is considered old around here patch[1].gif)
post #92 of 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncontrol View Post

Leather and a fishtail or some other long wool coat.
If you're young and have a cool style, invest in a leather, you can wear it every day pretty much.

what style of leather jacket?
post #93 of 448
This thread is already heading down a path that could permanently derail its original purpose. I'm crunched for time, but I'll make a few points:

- Some aesthetics are easier to spend less on and still turn up good-great pieces. The Americana or preppy guy is more likely to dredge up something of worth thrifting than a guy who vibes more with the mid-to-high tier designers. Recommending that a guy who's interested in anything from the goth ninja hierarchy is stupid advice, unless you live in a bigger city where consignment shops carry such labels. And even then, you aren't usually getting that stuff dirt cheap.

- Regardless of your personal style, you'll usually be best served sinking money into outerwear and footwear and skimping elsewhere if it needs to be that way. Footwear worth a damn, and boots in particular, are incredibly tough to find on the cheap. Wait around for something that suits your fancy to pop up on the secondary market (B&S here, eBay, etc.) if necessary. Your patience will be rewarded. I missed out on a piece of outwear last fall because I couldn't reasonably spend that much, even on deep discount. I've had a similar, but honestly inferior, alternative bookmarked for a couple of months, but just couldn't justify shelling out that much money on something I only saw as a consolation price. Last night, I came across the coat from last year on eBay in my size, new with tags and with a BIN similar to what I would have spent on the coat I didn't REALLY want.

It doesn't always turn out that way, but don't go blowing a wad of cash on something that you aren't really into just because you "need something." Yeah, if you have no winter coat and it's six below outside, you have to get something. But don't back yourself into a corner that you don't need to and think you have to spend that money on something. The Krane coat that I have retailed at a grand, which just wasn't happening. But someone bought a bunch of Krane pieces at wholesale last year and posted them at less than half of that in the B&S forum. Patience, young grasshoppers.

- Don't go blowing your money on the side dishes if you haven't taken care of the meat and potatoes. That means don't blow $50 on some fancy Japanese cotton tee if you don't have a decent pair of boots. Don't buy a $300 Self Edge-type button down if your outerwear looks like hot garbage. Concern yourself with the little things after you've got the big boys squared away.

- There's nothing wrong with browsing the H&M and Gaps of the world if you aren't looking to make them the cornerstone of your closet. Most of the stuff is junk, but you can pluck some surprisingly decent stuff from such places here and there. Gap did those dip-dye button down shirts this spring and while a joke at retail, they were interesting looking enough to pick up when they inevitably hit deep discount. Similarly, one of the softest feeling shirts I own is some random $30 H&M shirt I came across after skimming through racks and racks of awful feeling clothing. No need to be like the guy up there having an aneurysm at the very thought of entering one of these stores. It's mostly junk, but there are some stray worthwhile items.
post #94 of 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblegrain View Post

Stop buying so much shit.
I've finally realized that 95% of clothing is "pretend" clothing, like a peacoat from Banana republic, it's made in China, 75% nylon 20% wool 5% "other fibers", it looks fairly shitty brand new, will look totally shite in 2 years. It's not a peacoat, it's a pretend peacoat. Oh, and a bargain price of $199.99.
Why do you need more than 2 pair of trousers, 2 pair of shoes, a sweater, a jacket, and shirts? Anything else is practically underwear (shorts, socks, t shirts) and sure, go ahead and stock up, but that shit should be cheap. I haven't bought a new pair of jeans since my Iron Heart 634s in 2007. Some of you plebe fukks have 3 pairs of Unbranded, I know it.
So much used cheap stuff on ebay or in thrift stores, go back to the original shit, not the pretend shit. You can find real Aran knits for $50, English lambswool knits for $50 pretty damn easily. LL Bean norwegian for $30. Why buy a $30 polyamide+polyester+orlon hellfuck scarf at Gap when a lambswool one from Johnstons of Elgin is $50?
I hate H&M, it's pure shite. Is there anything other than nylon, vinyl and cotton in that bitch? Same for Urban Outfitters. Uniqlo is okay but if you just dropped $500 at Uniqlo for 15 nearly identical shirts and told yourself "Now I'm ready for senior year", you are a moron. Gap is 100% Pretend Clothing. Even labels like Rag & Bone are pretty enfuriating in their shoddiness. A $400 cotton blazer that is made in China? GTFO
Think about a gangsta ass like Steve McQueen or Paul Newman. What shirts they got? Who the fuck remembers? They had a pair of jeans, a shawl sweater beat to death, desert chukkas and they were kicking ass.

actually like this post a lot. HATE blends 95% of the time.
post #95 of 448

Quote:

Originally Posted by the shah View Post

this thread is becoming exactly what i was hoping it wouldn't lead to .... AJPA do something !


+1.  Two pants and two shirts? C'mon.  This isn't a 'how can I be presentable at work and have no one notice my existence for cheap' thread.  You can get away with two shirts if you want to basically wear a uniform, I guess, but I don't think that's why anyone's on SF.  Although this kid does it.

calvin2.jpg

 

Anyway, I'm probably going to get a ton of hate for this, but I own nice button-ups and then I own a few from Express and if you're just looking for a white or grey button-up they're not that bad, and like $30 if you buy a couple during one of their sales which run essentially all the time.  The fitss good, they iron easily, don't really wrinkle, and while a little smoother/shinier than a pure cotton oxford I don't mind them.  Also I've had them for a couple years and they still look new. Uniqlo's probably better but I don't have one near me.

 

EG at full retail isn't 'affordable.'  I liked where Shah was taking this thread.

post #96 of 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncontrol View Post

Leather and a fishtail or some other long wool coat.
If you're young and have a cool style, invest in a leather, you can wear it every day pretty much.

I'm with Uncontrol and Razele here. I guess if you've got the means, go ahead and splurge on a dozen pieces of outerwear. Chances are, you'll still end up favoring two or three of those and the rest will sit in a closet, ignored all but maybe one day every couple of months.

All I really want in the way of outerwear right now is:

- Winter coat (check)
- Beater winter coat (check)
- Light trench (check)
- Overcoat (check)
- Leather (not yet)
- Fishtail (just because the ToJ iteration is so cool; I probably don't have much actual use for it)

Other people have other needs, but at some point, you're just collecting cool shit and aren't going to wear a lot of it too often.
post #97 of 448
My motorcycle jacket + a peacoat would be all that I need for outerwear. As I've noted, since I've got enough "plebe" clothes to keep me clean during the work week, I've begun replacing with "mid-range" stuff with the intent to have:
3 pairs Epaulet EPs
2 pairs Epaulet Rudy or Walts
10 OCBDs from WvG or similar
1 MTO leather jacket

Yes, it will be boring*, but at least I'll have that handled and I can start worrying about replacing my Apartment by Ikea with mid-century Danish pieces or something.

*right, come on. I'm a punk kid at heart. I could wear the same pair of ratty shorts every single day with a rotation of 3 or 4 t-shirts and I'd be okay. Smelly as fuck, but okay. The above would be a downright smorgasborg of variety compared to where I'm coming from. wink.gif
post #98 of 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post

I can't endorse any low level shit really but here are things I would do on a swag budget and this is with consideration of end of season sales which I think is when you should blow most of your wad on. You will have been admiring most of this shit on tbs, porter, thecorner etc so while not dirt cheap they are not unattainable.
-uniqlo for basics, oxfords, jackets and collab pieces see mellowfellow like toasty said above
-brooks brothers extra slim fit shirts on sale
-epaulet is making good shit too, high value in his line
-oliver spencer everything on sale
-john smedley for well made basic knits on sale
-margaret howell for trousers and knits on sale
-hand knits can be had for 250ish ie inverallan and 4horsemen
-sns of all types on sale for very fair prices
-cps on sale
Also check b&s lots of good stuff in there for cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by APK View Post

This thread is already heading down a path that could permanently derail its original purpose. I'm crunched for time, but I'll make a few points:
- Some aesthetics are easier to spend less on and still turn up good-great pieces. The Americana or preppy guy is more likely to dredge up something of worth thrifting than a guy who vibes more with the mid-to-high tier designers. Recommending that a guy who's interested in anything from the goth ninja hierarchy is stupid advice, unless you live in a bigger city where consignment shops carry such labels. And even then, you aren't usually getting that stuff dirt cheap.
- Regardless of your personal style, you'll usually be best served sinking money into outerwear and footwear and skimping elsewhere if it needs to be that way. Footwear worth a damn, and boots in particular, are incredibly tough to find on the cheap. Wait around for something that suits your fancy to pop up on the secondary market (B&S here, eBay, etc.) if necessary. Your patience will be rewarded. I missed out on a piece of outwear last fall because I couldn't reasonably spend that much, even on deep discount. I've had a similar, but honestly inferior, alternative bookmarked for a couple of months, but just couldn't justify shelling out that much money on something I only saw as a consolation price. Last night, I came across the coat from last year on eBay in my size, new with tags and with a BIN similar to what I would have spent on the coat I didn't REALLY want.
It doesn't always turn out that way, but don't go blowing a wad of cash on something that you aren't really into just because you "need something." Yeah, if you have no winter coat and it's six below outside, you have to get something. But don't back yourself into a corner that you don't need to and think you have to spend that money on something. The Krane coat that I have retailed at a grand, which just wasn't happening. But someone bought a bunch of Krane pieces at wholesale last year and posted them at less than half of that in the B&S forum. Patience, young grasshoppers.
- Don't go blowing your money on the side dishes if you haven't taken care of the meat and potatoes. That means don't blow $50 on some fancy Japanese cotton tee if you don't have a decent pair of boots. Don't buy a $300 Self Edge-type button down if your outerwear looks like hot garbage. Concern yourself with the little things after you've got the big boys squared away.
- There's nothing wrong with browsing the H&M and Gaps of the world if you aren't looking to make them the cornerstone of your closet. Most of the stuff is junk, but you can pluck some surprisingly decent stuff from such places here and there. Gap did those dip-dye button down shirts this spring and while a joke at retail, they were interesting looking enough to pick up when they inevitably hit deep discount. Similarly, one of the softest feeling shirts I own is some random $30 H&M shirt I came across after skimming through racks and racks of awful feeling clothing. No need to be like the guy up there having an aneurysm at the very thought of entering one of these stores. It's mostly junk, but there are some stray worthwhile items.

i haven't read every post but in the last two these are seriously two of the best. I like jet when he wants to be helpful smile.gif.
ps. where to cop oli spencer and howell on sale? those two seem to have limited distribution and don't last long during sale season.


APK's advice is damn near gospel. I went the opposite route. I blew a shit ton of money on nice chinos/khakis (oxymoron?) and button down shirts. I finally realized I need a good jacket so I can make my old Polo one my beater (retire my current North Face daily) and keep something nice for the weekends and events. I wish I had more of a budget to spend on outerwear to justify the higher prices of what I want. The closest I came was a black Howell peacoat but I already have another black one. That said early on I spent a good deal of money on knits that have been great, only exception is a Paul Smith one that is too thin to wear outside of early fall and mid to late spring. Footwear is another area I wish I put more focus and effort on as well.
post #99 of 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post

I can't endorse any low level shit really but here are things I would do on a swag budget and this is with consideration of end of season sales which I think is when you should blow most of your wad on. You will have been admiring most of this shit on tbs, porter, thecorner etc so while not dirt cheap they are not unattainable.
-uniqlo for basics, oxfords, jackets and collab pieces see mellowfellow like toasty said above
-brooks brothers extra slim fit shirts on sale
-epaulet is making good shit too, high value in his line
-oliver spencer everything on sale
-john smedley for well made basic knits on sale
-margaret howell for trousers and knits on sale
-hand knits can be had for 250ish ie inverallan and 4horsemen
-sns of all types on sale for very fair prices
-cps on sale
Also check b&s lots of good stuff in there for cheap.

Sup jet. Are there any Mrporter coupons? Thanks in advance.
post #100 of 448
Thread Starter 
Holy Hell I leave for a few hours for a nice dinner and come back to this! This is why we can't have nice things!
Quote:
Originally Posted by the shah View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Tobi sometimes has them for 30% off or TBS with codes is not bad price either. I wouldn't pay rrp because as rfx said they are just chucks with hearts painted on but they are hypnotic eyes for sure
these are exactly what I had in mind when I saw this thread hah I wore them in a few fits (and quite regularly over the summer, to be honest). I almost feel like getting a second pair just in case they stop production and mine fall apart, inevitable, as they are already showing wear vs mmm/cp other brands I shan't mention.
a few very cheap to mid level fits with those:
100100100
i think backpack was most expensive item in these shots
(1st: dunno shirt, aa tank, uniqlo oversized+tapered trousers)
(2nd: brookbros xslim, random yoox trousers i love to wear always)
(3rd: not really plebe but duckshadow shorts i ended up selling but got in black now hehe)
but any aesthetic can be explored with little investment. f+b is i guess mid-level, despite higher retail (4-500) they are always on super discount end of season. NCB (long shirt / tunic, as well as coat) can be found for embarrassingly low prices on yoox, I think there may be 1 stockist in NYC but beware of the flair, he loves the dress-like exaggerations on all longer items. some good oversized shirts to be had for sure. and trousers, I have absolutely no idea, some short but not necessarily intentionally cropped unlined linen with busted zipper that i wear with longer shirts only foo.gif I think this is ok ?
300
i didn't mean for this to be a repository of ugly plebe fits by shah shog[1].gif
just wanted to share some ideas about being creative with little expense. it's not hard (well, if you don't think those pics are hideous then it's not hard) to get some cohesion if you keep in mind what kind of fit you want, how fabrics can work together (of course will be more limited here since not dealing with weird things like boiled ___, or luxuriously soft alpaca, etc). and sticking to a certain number of colors and/or patterns -- I believe the fuuma rule is no more than 5 different ones.
anyway, just must long-winded two cents
edit: the thread title is no fun, it should include something with the poor pauper's sartorial adventures: we are the 99% and not ever have anything to do with swag. nod[1].gif

This is EXACTLY where I wanted this thread to go, something that took not so expensive pieces and used them in a fun and interesting way. I really would like more posts like these! Here is proof that "non baller" can still look pretty awesome when used correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblegrain View Post

Think about a gangsta ass like Steve McQueen or Paul Newman. What shirts they got? Who the fuck remembers? They had a pair of jeans, a shawl sweater beat to death, desert chukkas and they were kicking ass.

This seemed like a lot of blah blah blah to me but then I got to the bolded parts and immediately took it less seriously. This idolization of steve mcqueen must stop imho. As for your advice, I agree some heritage brands are good, Jet said basically the same thing recommending Invalerian knits
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgreg View Post

I think for men, peacoat, trench (single and double breasted), Leather jacket, Wool long overcoat and a bomber should be OK.
but 2 is not enough.

I don't get it, why do I NEED these? Im a pretty big minimalist and I don't see the NEED for more than two coats. That being said this is a forum about fashion, I don't think we really NEED any of this stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1 View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I won't quote the whole post, but this is spot on. Buy good quality clothes that fit and that are made in a responsible manner. Everything else is false economy. And find a good thrift store -- last week I bought a NOS BBBF short sleeve oxford for $30 and a pair of LLBean Thinsulate/Goretex pull-on boots for the same price. The same store had about 10 BBBF NOS oxfords -- most were size 4 and 1, but proof that the good stuff is out there for the taking.
Specific recs. for relatively affordable clothes: Epaulet at full price, BB oxfords MiUSA on sale, Steven Alan on sale, EG on sale, and some full-price items. If you time the sales right, you can buy just about any brand at 40-50% off -- if there's a "grail" piece, just buy one a year.
And, of course, B&S is your friend.

Some problems I see with this post. One, I don't prescribe to the made in USA stuff to be honest, If shit is made in the US thats cool, but I don't think its irresponsible to support some third world's economy either.

Second, I'm sure thrift stores in big cities are great... go to LaVale Maryland and try to find anything worth thrifting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by APK View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
This thread is already heading down a path that could permanently derail its original purpose. I'm crunched for time, but I'll make a few points:
- Some aesthetics are easier to spend less on and still turn up good-great pieces. The Americana or preppy guy is more likely to dredge up something of worth thrifting than a guy who vibes more with the mid-to-high tier designers. Recommending that a guy who's interested in anything from the goth ninja hierarchy is stupid advice, unless you live in a bigger city where consignment shops carry such labels. And even then, you aren't usually getting that stuff dirt cheap.
- Regardless of your personal style, you'll usually be best served sinking money into outerwear and footwear and skimping elsewhere if it needs to be that way. Footwear worth a damn, and boots in particular, are incredibly tough to find on the cheap. Wait around for something that suits your fancy to pop up on the secondary market (B&S here, eBay, etc.) if necessary. Your patience will be rewarded. I missed out on a piece of outwear last fall because I couldn't reasonably spend that much, even on deep discount. I've had a similar, but honestly inferior, alternative bookmarked for a couple of months, but just couldn't justify shelling out that much money on something I only saw as a consolation price. Last night, I came across the coat from last year on eBay in my size, new with tags and with a BIN similar to what I would have spent on the coat I didn't REALLY want.
It doesn't always turn out that way, but don't go blowing a wad of cash on something that you aren't really into just because you "need something." Yeah, if you have no winter coat and it's six below outside, you have to get something. But don't back yourself into a corner that you don't need to and think you have to spend that money on something. The Krane coat that I have retailed at a grand, which just wasn't happening. But someone bought a bunch of Krane pieces at wholesale last year and posted them at less than half of that in the B&S forum. Patience, young grasshoppers.
- Don't go blowing your money on the side dishes if you haven't taken care of the meat and potatoes. That means don't blow $50 on some fancy Japanese cotton tee if you don't have a decent pair of boots. Don't buy a $300 Self Edge-type button down if your outerwear looks like hot garbage. Concern yourself with the little things after you've got the big boys squared away.
- There's nothing wrong with browsing the H&M and Gaps of the world if you aren't looking to make them the cornerstone of your closet. Most of the stuff is junk, but you can pluck some surprisingly decent stuff from such places here and there. Gap did those dip-dye button down shirts this spring and while a joke at retail, they were interesting looking enough to pick up when they inevitably hit deep discount. Similarly, one of the softest feeling shirts I own is some random $30 H&M shirt I came across after skimming through racks and racks of awful feeling clothing. No need to be like the guy up there having an aneurysm at the very thought of entering one of these stores. It's mostly junk, but there are some stray worthwhile items.

This is a great post and Its in the ideology of what I want for this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJulien View Post

Quote:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
+1.  Two pants and two shirts? C'mon.  This isn't a 'how can I be presentable at work and have no one notice my existence for cheap' thread.  You can get away with two shirts if you want to basically wear a uniform, I guess, but I don't think that's why anyone's on SF.  Although this kid does it.
350x376px-LL-7a90db8b_calvin2.jpeg

Anyway, I'm probably going to get a ton of hate for this, but I own nice button-ups and then I own a few from Express and if you're just looking for a white or grey button-up they're not that bad, and like $30 if you buy a couple during one of their sales which run essentially all the time.  The fitss good, they iron easily, don't really wrinkle, and while a little smoother/shinier than a pure cotton oxford I don't mind them.  Also I've had them for a couple years and they still look new. Uniqlo's probably better but I don't have one near me.

EG at full retail isn't 'affordable.'  I liked where Shah was taking this thread.

This is the kind of shit stirring I like =) Takes balls to admit wearing express around here icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Marley View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
i haven't read every post but in the last two these are seriously two of the best. I like jet when he wants to be helpful smile.gif.
ps. where to cop oli spencer and howell on sale? those two seem to have limited distribution and don't last long during sale season.
APK's advice is damn near gospel. I went the opposite route. I blew a shit ton of money on nice chinos/khakis (oxymoron?) and button down shirts. I finally realized I need a good jacket so I can make my old Polo one my beater (retire my current North Face daily) and keep something nice for the weekends and events. I wish I had more of a budget to spend on outerwear to justify the higher prices of what I want. The closest I came was a black Howell peacoat but I already have another black one. That said early on I spent a good deal of money on knits that have been great, only exception is a Paul Smith one that is too thin to wear outside of early fall and mid to late spring. Footwear is another area I wish I put more focus and effort on as well.
+1

I think one thing I have noticed on this forum is people lose a lot of creativity in WAYWT, when is the last time you saw someone wearing something thrifted that looked pretty cool, or the last time someone pulled something off like the chronoaug post on the first page? IDK if this would be a better or worse place with some kind of this creativity but I certainly would like to try it.

To the guy who said "flawed thread concept" What do you think is flawed? Id love some advice or even to know what you think is wrong, not a very helpful (or even funny) post otherwise.

I like the idea put out there that a few rare gems can be found at stores like the gap or whatever, I think thats what this thread is about.

Also, if you don't want to take the time to read a 6 page thread... at least read the first post
post #101 of 448
i agree with the post above regarding outerwear...fishtail and leather sounds might fine. or swap that fishtail with a hooded coat and i would be happy.
post #102 of 448
I think it's also worth bearing in mind what articles and types of clothing you do and don't care about. I have exactly one nice knit, because sweaters aren't really a priority for me right now and I rather like the cheap, thin AA cardigans I own. My actual winter jacket is a Gap car coat I got freshman year of college (so...10 or 11 years ago?), but I don't feel a desperate need to replace it because I almost never need to wear it, and there's nothing out there I've seen that I've wanted to buy enough to prioritize that purchase over other things. I don't own lace-up dress shoes, period. My trousers and the couple of suits I actually wear are all H&M. You get the idea. Instead, I'm thinking more about the couple of leather jackets and pairs of boots I'd like to get, because those things actually interest me, and I know I'll wear and enjoy them.

Footwear doesn't even have to be a big expenditure if you only want something that looks ok. OG GATs look pretty damn similar to Margiela GATs. Stan Smiths look pretty damn similar to CP Achilles. The only difference I know of between regular Chucks and CDG Chucks is the heart thingy. Even as far as "real" footwear is concerned, someone was saying earlier that Barney's Co-op brand was decent, and those shoes retail for $300 - $400 and are on sale now for around $150.

tl; dr - Buying less is almost always a good idea; buying "better" sometimes isn't. Sometimes good enough is good enough.
post #103 of 448
I feel like if you look for deals/sales, you can get designer and high-quality stuff at crazy pricepoints. I just got a Woolrich John Rich + Bros $1k duffle for $188 on sale, an Acne chambray for $50, etc. Better to get really nice stuff on sale occasionally than cheap shit that will fall apart in my opinion.
post #104 of 448
also, regarding outfits and clothes and waywt...sometimes some people just take better photos. i think that is a huge factor when you want to take others outfit into context and try to mimic it but feel like you "fail" or others tell you it looks bad.

sometimes i look at some waywt photos and think i can mimic the look, but obviously cannot afford the same clothing.
still should take a great photo and post it side by side of the "original" and see how it is before throwing the idea back to the chopping blocks.
post #105 of 448

Hey guys, I need a little help building up my wardrobes shirt wise.. I'm fifteen and looking for casual shirts to wear to school, all I have right now are Uniqlo tee's and hoodies haha. But I wanna pick up a couple shirts when I get on break next week. I'm located in NYC so I'll have access to pretty much everything. I'm thinking of hitting up stores like BB, Jcrew, Uniqlo and Club Monaco. Though I'm not sure where to start as in what types of shirts to get? Should I get oxfords, maybe a flannel and a couple of sweaters/cardigans? Basically what I'm asking is what types of shirts (as specific as possible and what fits) to get that'll go with APC PS's and desertboots/sneakers (plimsolls). Also I'm Asian, but not that scrawny so I don't think shirts from Gap will be good for me. Sorry if this was hard to understand I'm not too good at articulating my thoughts into words XD.

Thanks

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Affordable Swag Thread