or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › has anyone done a small caribbean wedding? Recs?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

has anyone done a small caribbean wedding? Recs? - Page 2

post #16 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek View Post

You must be thinking of st-martin/st-maarten. I'll look at them. Thanks.
As for picking up the tab for other people, my GF's parents have no money and my mother has no money and my brother has no money. For that reason I'd strongly prefer to elope and exclude everyone but she's being a good sport in agreeing to keep it this small so we'll see what happens. Maybe I can work on her some more but I don't want to be too forceful and have her be unhappy/stressed/pressured about it either.

Yes, her feelings matter just as much but for real, it's also your day. If money is such a concern, I think they'd understand you guys just going yourselves.

How much of this would you be paying for? Frankly, I don't think it's fair for you to be footing the bill for people you don't even really want there. In that situation, if eloping just isn't possible, I'd do a very small event in the city where you live, get married, then fly to where ever you want for the honeymoon the next day. That way everyone is included and the ceremony/dinner itself is far more cost effective and you aren't wasting it on flights.
post #17 of 39
Thread Starter 
^^ Problem is, everyone is from all over, so no matter where it's held, flights and hotels will be involved if they are to come. Not one person on the "essentials" list even lives in the same province/country.

As for it being my day too, I guess you're right. Even though I'm really not in to ceremony, I don't want to hate it either. I'd be happy to sign papers in front of a judge as long as i still got to marry her. Babysitting a bunch of adults that can't take care of themselves and behave properly isn't too appealing to me.

Ya, we need to elope...Solves so many problems.
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek View Post

^^ Problem is, everyone is from all over, so no matter where it's held, flights and hotels will be involved if they are to come. Not one person on the "essentials" list even lives in the same province/country.
As for it being my day too, I guess you're right. Even though I'm really not in to ceremony, I don't want to hate it either. I'd be happy to sign papers in front of a judge as long as i still got to marry her. Babysitting a bunch of adults that can't take care of themselves and behave properly isn't too appealing to me.
Ya, we need to elope...Solves so many problems.

Dude, unless funds are unlimited, you are going to end up spending a lot on things that really are just to fulfill convention rather than making you happy. Why start out life together with lighter pockets if that money wasn't even really spent on yourself?

Just like, have a get together with people whenever you can. I don't see the sense in compromising if you aren't the type of family that is really close, which it does not sound like you are.
post #19 of 39
Mrs. Piob and I just did a small ceremony in the home of a JP and the party went out for a nice dinner. Was a very relaxing wedding.
post #20 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Mrs. Piob and I just did a small ceremony in the home of a JP and the party went out for a nice dinner. Was a very relaxing wedding.

If I ever find myself in that potential situation again, I'd do something like that.
post #21 of 39
Thread Starter 
god i was googling about destination weddings and came across some article written for a wedding magazine and the suggestions were asinine. Thank fucking god i don't have to deal with a bride that is obsessed with that shit.
post #22 of 39

Rent a house and get married in front on the beach by the local head man. Hire a girl or two to cook you a feast. Limit guests to 4 on each side and either let them stay in your place or rent a nearby place.

 

Location depends on what your vibe is.

Kinda cool/old school: Cuba

Mountains: Strawberry Hill, Jamaica

Nice beach: Rendezvous Bay, Anguilla

 

lefty

 

post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

Rent a house and get married in front on the beach by the local head man. Hire a girl or two to cook you a feast. Limit guests to 4 on each side and either let them stay in your place or rent a nearby place.

Location depends on what your vibe is.
Kinda cool/old school: Cuba
Mountains: Strawberry Hill, Jamaica
Nice beach: Rendezvous Bay, Anguilla

lefty

I was kinda leading him to something like this with the Tulum recommendation.

I think a wedding like this would be ideal for me. Only the closest family and friends. Beautiful and lush surroundings. Not the most luxurious but it would be special to me (us) which is the important part.

Hoping I meet a girl who doesn't have a billion and one must have and do things for her wedding day...ffffuuuu.gif
post #24 of 39
I'll echo the sentiments of Tulum. It's not as luxurious as some Caribbean places, but I think it's a pretty good fit for what you want. It's easy to travel there, and prices are reasonable. I actually prefer it to the Caribbean, because the food in Mexico is much more desirable to me than in the Caribbean.

I've stayed at this place:
http://www.tulumhotelpez.com/

The hotel is one of the more secluded in Tulum, since it's a little bit away from the main beach drag. It's small and definitely not a resort. All the rooms face the water and have balconies. It seems to hit all of your criteria. The hotel also does weddings, which you can read about on their web site.
post #25 of 39
Has anybody asked if your future wife's boyfriend will be attending? If not, are you offering doggy bags?

Congrats, geek.
post #26 of 39

Tulum is nice. Try and avoid the main hotel strip and hit the far end.

 

lefty

post #27 of 39
Wow, congrats Geek. Didn't even know you were in a relationship. I wish you and your fiance all the best in the future.

Don't know why nobody's recommended it, but I'd go for Brazil. I'd recommend any off this list, particularly the first 3. Cheap too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2009/apr/15/beach-brazil-top-10
post #28 of 39
I was the best man at my boy's wedding in DR. His wife is from there as is her family. I went fro 4 days. Family and a few friends. They got married in her grandfather's casa and we went out after. Great time...They had been together for many yrs so it was no biggie....
post #29 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbromer View Post

I'll echo the sentiments of Tulum. It's not as luxurious as some Caribbean places, but I think it's a pretty good fit for what you want. It's easy to travel there, and prices are reasonable. I actually prefer it to the Caribbean, because the food in Mexico is much more desirable to me than in the Caribbean.
I've stayed at this place:
http://www.tulumhotelpez.com/
The hotel is one of the more secluded in Tulum, since it's a little bit away from the main beach drag. It's small and definitely not a resort. All the rooms face the water and have balconies. It seems to hit all of your criteria. The hotel also does weddings, which you can read about on their web site.

Cool, thanks. I'll look in to the area a bit more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

Wow, congrats Geek. Didn't even know you were in a relationship. I wish you and your fiance all the best in the future.
Don't know why nobody's recommended it, but I'd go for Brazil. I'd recommend any off this list, particularly the first 3. Cheap too.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2009/apr/15/beach-brazil-top-10

In most (all?) south american countries, you can't be legally married without going to a lot of trouble. This usually involves presenting a lot of different papers, translated into the local language by a restricted group of translators and notarized, often with significant waiting periods attached, and sometimes even a requirement for time in country prior to the ceremony. That is one of the allures of places like the Bahamas as destination weddings. You can fly in and within 24 hours be legally married without having to deal with tons of bureaucracy. Religious ceremonies are even more trouble, as a general rule.
post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek View Post

Cool, thanks. I'll look in to the area a bit more.
In most (all?) south american countries, you can't be legally married without going to a lot of trouble. This usually involves presenting a lot of different papers, translated into the local language by a restricted group of translators and notarized, often with significant waiting periods attached, and sometimes even a requirement for time in country prior to the ceremony. That is one of the allures of places like the Bahamas as destination weddings. You can fly in and within 24 hours be legally married without having to deal with tons of bureaucracy. Religious ceremonies are even more trouble, as a general rule.

Isn't that why you get legally married back home by a Justice of the Peace or at City Hall and then just have the ceremony and dinner/party on location?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › has anyone done a small caribbean wedding? Recs?