or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cheap and low maintenance car that isn't a P.O.S?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cheap and low maintenance car that isn't a P.O.S?

post #1 of 159
Thread Starter 

Pretty much topic. I need a new/used car that is reliable and is halfway-decent. Opinions?


Edited by BlacKidLA - 12/25/11 at 11:58pm
post #2 of 159
Are you living with your parents? How are you going to swing a $15,000 loan?
post #3 of 159
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Are you living with your parents? How are you going to swing a $15,000 loan?


Parents will probably help me out.

post #4 of 159
.
Edited by Louis XIV - 1/26/12 at 7:19am
post #5 of 159
Can you drive stick shift?
post #6 of 159
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Can you drive stick shift?


I can learn. But then again, I live in LA and traffic + stick shift = baldy[1].gif

post #7 of 159
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis XIV View Post

Try a Caterham, you get as much of a drivers experience from it as possible from anything with four wheels.


I can't find any for sale out here in LA. :'(

 

post #8 of 159
Mid 2000s Nissan 350Z
post #9 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacKidLA View Post



I can learn. But then again, I live in LA and traffic + stick shift = baldy%5B1%5D.gif

Ahh.. in that case, definitely do not drive stick. BUT, definitely still learn how to drive one.

Driving stick in traffic can be one of the slightly more annoying experiences in life, lol.

But anyway, back to the topic:

I'd actually just suggest you lease a car for under $200 month if possible. I remember seeing your budget somewhere, and man, dumping a $15,000 loan on your finances from the outset is NOT the way to go.

It doesn't sound like you need to buy a car at this point in your life. By trying to get a $15K car with 300 HP, it's more than likely going to be a bit old and driven more aggressively (i.e. more potential costlier repairs down the line). Try to lease a new Kia or something because KIA is honestly kicking ass right now (this can be proved, OBJECTIVELY) and they probably have some for under $200 a month.

Also, trust me, but you need to live at LEAST 1-2 months of your new adult life to get a sense of what your monthly financials are going to look like before attempting to go $15K in debt. Take care to look at where your biggest cash outflows are. I remember forecasting what my expenses were going to be before I started working and by the time I did, I realized I was spending a bit more than I had expected.

Expect the same for yourself. Once you get a taste of that disposable income, you tend to overspend a bit -- at least for the first couple of months working.

So, if you can, try to use your parents' car(s) for a bit before going out and getting a $15K loan. Figure out your finances first.
post #10 of 159
.
Edited by Louis XIV - 1/26/12 at 7:25am
post #11 of 159
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post


Ahh.. in that case, definitely do not drive stick. BUT, definitely still learn how to drive one.
Driving stick in traffic can be one of the slightly more annoying experiences in life, lol.
But anyway, back to the topic:
I'd actually just suggest you lease a car for under $200 month if possible. I remember seeing your budget somewhere, and man, dumping a $15,000 loan on your finances from the outset is NOT the way to go.
It doesn't sound like you need to buy a car at this point in your life. By trying to get a $15K car with 300 HP, it's more than likely going to be a bit old and driven more aggressively (i.e. more potential costlier repairs down the line). Try to lease a new Kia or something because KIA is honestly kicking ass right now (this can be proved, OBJECTIVELY) and they probably have some for under $200 a month.
Also, trust me, but you need to live at LEAST 1-2 months of your new adult life to get a sense of what your monthly financials are going to look like before attempting to go $15K in debt. Take care to look at where your biggest cash outflows are. I remember forecasting what my expenses were going to be before I started working and by the time I did, I realized I was spending a bit more than I had expected.
Expect the same for yourself. Once you get a taste of that disposable income, you tend to overspend a bit -- at least for the first couple of months working.
So, if you can, try to use your parents' car(s) for a bit before going out and getting a $15K loan. Figure out your finances first.


 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis XIV View Post


Don't want to sound like your mum, still have to assist GreenFrog.
First, sort out how much money you spend per month and how much is left and then also think twice, do you really need a car as described in a city like LA? You won't be able to enjoy all the machinerys power very often anyways.


Word, you both make good points. 

 

Here's my deal:

 

I do not want to be paying any lease/payment once I move out of my parent's house. While I'm at home, I won't have any expenses besides gas (~$150 month) and money for going out/dining out. This is why I plan on paying off a loan for a car quickly (2 years) so that when I move out I won't have to deal with paying it monthly because I'll have a slew of other bills (Rent, Utilities, Food, Upkeep). I want to take advantage of living at home by saving a bunch of money and buying a car. If any of this doesn't make sense or is a bad idea, let me know.

 

Also, if it helps at all I need this next car to last me a maximum of 5 years. I get promoted after 5 years and when that happens, money won't be an issue at all because I'll be making big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

post #12 of 159
So confident on the big $$$. And wanting to save money, then buying a 300+HP car while living at your parents house is the NKI.
post #13 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacKidLA View Post






Word, you both make good points. 

Here's my deal:

I do not want to be paying any lease/payment once I move out of my parent's house. While I'm at home, I won't have any expenses besides gas (~$150 month) and money for going out/dining out. This is why I plan on paying off a loan for a car quickly (2 years) so that when I move out I won't have to deal with paying it monthly because I'll have a slew of other bills (Rent, Utilities, Food, Upkeep). I want to take advantage of living at home by saving a bunch of money and buying a car. If any of this doesn't make sense or is a bad idea, let me know.

Also, if it helps at all I need this next car to last me a maximum of 5 years. I get promoted after 5 years and when that happens, money won't be an issue at all because I'll be making big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I'm going to say it's a terrible idea, because you're going to end up moving out after 2 years. I think it's very possible to pay off a 15k loan over two years if you don't have to pay for rent. So, I agree with you on that point. What I don't believe, however, is in your capacity to live at home with your parents for two years.

I have a couple friends who live with parents, and not out of necessity (i.e. not having a job), but because they want to save money. Every single one of them is miserable and would much rather save less money and live on their own. There's something to be said about 'freedom,' and people are willing to pay $$ for that.

Also, no offense, but I doubt your ability to live with your parents even more because of that thread you posted about how they are as people. I think you might run into issues with them and I predict they're going to start to resent you for living with them by the end of year 1, especially if you don't contribute to living at home in one way or another, and things will eventually get tense. Now, keep in mind, these are all conjectures based on what I know about you and your parents, which is absolutely NOTHING.

So, take all that with a grain of salt, if you will.

And dude, go for the cheap lease. You want a 300+ HP sports car for under $15K that's going to last you 5 years without any major repairs? I know cars, buddy. That ain't close to happenin'.
post #14 of 159
so trolling with these topics, soliciting ideas for your screen writing career
post #15 of 159
Thread Starter 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettoasty View Post

so trolling with these topics, soliciting ideas for your screen writing career


Quote:

Originally Posted by Dashaansafin View Post

So confident on the big $$$. And wanting to save money, then buying a 300+HP car while living at your parents house is the NKI.


Cool dudes...

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cheap and low maintenance car that isn't a P.O.S?