or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › do you feel embarassed to go thrifting?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

do you feel embarassed to go thrifting?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
I find myself thinking at times when I go thrifting for what was once expensive clothing, partly because i don't want to spend the money or can't afford it. part of me feels like I could be criticized for not spending that time becoming rich so I can buy expensive clothing
but then i can justify it by saying I don't want to spend ridiculous amounts of money on nice clothes, and just want to look nice. For example, i want a nice suit for an upcoming event, and would probably only wear it once or twice this year, why would i spend $1k+ at neimens or saks when i can spend $15 at the thrift store and still look nice, but when i wear it should i feel any less "classier" since i bought it for cheap and used?
post #2 of 17
No.

But be aware of the true cost of thrifting. That $15 used suit will require a sawbuck for dry cleaning and maybe a Grant for alterations and tailoring.
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiecibrian View Post

I find myself thinking at times when I go thrifting for what was once expensive clothing, partly because i don't want to spend the money or can't afford it. part of me feels like I could be criticized for not spending that time becoming rich so I can buy expensive clothing
but then i can justify it by saying I don't want to spend ridiculous amounts of money on nice clothes, and just want to look nice. For example, i want a nice suit for an upcoming event, and would probably only wear it once or twice this year, why would i spend $1k+ at neimens or saks when i can spend $15 at the thrift store and still look nice, but when i wear it should i feel any less "classier" since i bought it for cheap and used?

you can tell when clothing is thrifted

like suiting
there are tell-tale signs of it being used/thrifted
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 951socal View Post

you can tell when clothing is thrifted
like suiting
there are tell-tale signs of it being used/thrifted

In many cases yes. A lot of the stuff I see on racks are rather tired looking, some shine, bad dry cleaning and pressing, slightly fraying in areas, fabric looks and smells "dusty", etc.

I've been able to find some absolute gems, though it takes a lot of searching.

I don't feel bad thrifting at all. I see tons of "wealthy looking" people popping in and out of the higher end thrift, consignment, and housing work shops here in NYC.
post #5 of 17
I would only be embarrassed if I had to thrift out of necessity.
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by grundletaint View Post

I would only be embarrassed if I had to thrift out of necessity.

Good point.

I have not been doing it for years. I haven't needed to thrift in many years but it can be fun.

But a few years ago a friend of mine came here from LA. He is rich and famous.

He brought his wife who I had not met. I saw her before they left and asked her what she most wanted to do in Houston. She said she wanted to visit Houston thrift stores! True story.
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 951socal View Post

you can tell when clothing is thrifted
like suiting
there are tell-tale signs of it being used/thrifted

How exactly can you tell if it has been thrifted or just owned by me for a while? Is the goodwill tag still hanging off the back?

If I wear my suit tomorrow and decide that it no longer fits me or I am tired of the style, I might donate it to the thrift store.
Some guy might then come in and decide he likes the style or spring for getting the pants shortened when he takes it to the cleaners--how is his suit going to look any different than if I had kept it?

I can understand clothes that are beat to shit when they show up at the thrift, but most astute shoppers won't buy things with little life left in them.
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

How exactly can you tell if it has been thrifted or just owned by me for a while? Is the goodwill tag still hanging off the back?
If I wear my suit tomorrow and decide that it no longer fits me or I am tired of the style, I might donate it to the thrift store.
Some guy might then come in and decide he likes the style or spring for getting the pants shortened when he takes it to the cleaners--how is his suit going to look any different than if I had kept it?
I can understand clothes that are beat to shit when they show up at the thrift, but most astute shoppers won't buy things with little life left in them.

if you're in your mid twenties and you're wearing something that doesn't have a low rise like something from express, single or no vent, is starting to fray
has normal width lapels vs the super skinny stuff younger guys wear

chances are you haven't been wearing THAT suit for 20+ years and had recently acquired it
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnoldh View Post

Good point.
I have not been doing it for years. I haven't needed to thrift in many years but it can be fun.
But a few years ago a friend of mine came here from LA. He is rich and famous.
He brought his wife who I had not met. I saw her before they left and asked her what she most wanted to do in Houston. She said she wanted to visit Houston thrift stores! True story.

Thrifting in Houston is not very good imo, especially after having gone to the consignment stores in nyc. even the last call and off 5th is not eye opening here, the difference is drastic, i wish houston would get better.
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiecibrian View Post

Thrifting in Houston is not very good imo, especially after having gone to the consignment stores in nyc. even the last call and off 5th is not eye opening here, the difference is drastic, i wish houston would get better.

Well it's hard for me to compare Houston to other cities.

I really haven't thrifted in Houston for years. And many years ago in NYC I seem to remember thrift stores on 3rd Ave. and on 8th Ave. in the city. I don't remember any in Brooklyn back then though I'm sure there must have been some.

If I had to guess I would think that there are better finds in NYC but they are more expensive.
post #11 of 17
There are a few ways you can tell and rules I use. Look at the collars of mens shirts, sometimes you can see where they stapled the price tags. Look out for people showing up in stuff you know is not recent. Some stuff is timeless, but some of it is very period.

I have been thrifting for years, but as a general rule, I don't really tell anyone where I get stuff from. It actually took me a long time to tell my wife about it, turns out she loves it too. For me it started out like everyone else, looking for vintage t-shirts, then it was shirts, the it was game on. I get pleasure from shopping (don't ask), so its much easier to buy 10 shirts for 30 bucks, than one shirt for 30 bucks.

However, as my closet has gotten out of hand, and i have matured in my ways, I am trying to divest a lot of stuff that I no longer wear. The problem is that i just can't bear to get rid of a Thomas Pink shirt I paid 3 dollars for, even though it doesn't really fit. I am getting better, I promise, but still a long ways to go!
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgold47 View Post

It actually took me a long time to tell my wife about it, turns out she loves it too.

This is just want I was about to post in the "zero-g inverted double cowgirl manoeuvre" thread.
post #13 of 17

literally 95% percent of my home is thrifted (except the Bed/matress and my flat screen).

i have about $15000 worth of vintage mid century furniture i bought for around $500 over the last 5 years,here is a list:

 

Bang & Olufsen vintage receiver complete with  teak speakers paid $50 worth around $1500

2 LEATHER Arne jacobsen swan chairs (little faded on leather but just adds character) paid $19.99 each worth about $2500 each

cadovius coffee table (CADO) paid $9.00 saw one on ebeay recently for $700 

Hans Olsen dining set this one was a lot $125 but retails around $2000

a Peter Max print (small but still) $1.99 at salvation army

also had a egg chair which i sold bought for $25 sold for $1900

rosewood desk,forget the maker but made in denmark. bought for $99

a lot of other smaller stuff including a shit load of vintage french and italian made bikes and other stuff i cant think of at the moment.

a guy i know just found a tadeusz styka painting for $10 and sold for nine grand.  

post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by valium View Post

literally 95% percent of my home is thrifted (except the Bed/matress and my flat screen).

i have about $15000 worth of vintage mid century furniture i bought for around $500 over the last 5 years,here is a list:

 

Bang & Olufsen vintage receiver complete with  teak speakers paid $50 worth around $1500

2 LEATHER Arne jacobsen swan chairs (little faded on leather but just adds character) paid $19.99 each worth about $2500 each

cadovius coffee table (CADO) paid $9.00 saw one on ebeay recently for $700 

Hans Olsen dining set this one was a lot $125 but retails around $2000

a Peter Max print (small but still) $1.99 at salvation army

also had a egg chair which i sold bought for $25 sold for $1900

rosewood desk,forget the maker but made in denmark. bought for $99

a lot of other smaller stuff including a shit load of vintage french and italian made bikes and other stuff i cant think of at the moment.

a guy i know just found a tadeusz styka painting for $10 and sold for nine grand.  


I have no idea what most of that stuff is, but it sounds impressive. Where do you live?
post #15 of 17
looks like he lives in a cave, man.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › do you feel embarassed to go thrifting?