or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Teas with caffeine in them
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Teas with caffeine in them - Page 2

post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffrey View Post

Yeah black teas. I like Earl Grey...

This one. Brew a pot of loose leaf - Twinnings works just fine - and add milk and sugar. Key to a proper cuppa is good quality tea (no tea bags w/ tea dust) and warming the pot and cup with boiling water before adding the tea and milk, respectively. Been drinking it my entire life. And if it's good enough for me it's good enough for anyone else.

The only complaint I have w/ tea is that it's a diuretic.
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

I think you mean steep. But are you suggesting the Mayo clinic is wrong? Why would they lie to us?

They aren't lying, they simply didn't provide a complete explanation.

Black teas are typically brewed for 5 minutes, in hotter water, and often with more tea leaves...thus the end result typically has more caffeine.

If you brewed green and white teas the same, you would produce a cup with an equivalent amount of caffeine.

The point is that there is nothing inherent in black tea that makes it stronger.

There are certain types of leaves that are inherently stronger, but that is from how it is grown/harvested rather than oxidation.
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_drizzle View Post

They aren't lying, they simply didn't provide a complete explanation.
Black teas are typically brewed for 5 minutes, in hotter water, and often with more tea leaves...thus the end result typically has more caffeine.
If you brewed green and white teas the same, you would produce a cup with an equivalent amount of caffeine.
The point is that there is nothing inherent in black tea that makes it stronger.
There are certain types of leaves that are inherently stronger, but that is from how it is grown/harvested rather than oxidation.

Where are you getting this information? Why are you claiming black teas are "typically" brewed longer and in hotter water and with more tea leaves?

EDIT- And even if what you are writing is true, then the result is still that the beverage to be consumed by Rambo as green tea would have less caffeine than a cup of black tea. Your point is meaningless.
post #19 of 24
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

Where are you getting this information? Why are you claiming black teas are "typically" brewed longer and in hotter water and with more tea leaves?
EDIT- And even if what you are writing is true, then the result is still that the beverage to be consumed by Rambo as green tea would have less caffeine than a cup of black tea. Your point is meaningless.

I was going off the link I posted earlier. I did a quick search and a lot of the numbers were all over the place. In fact, even the numbers you posted from the Mayo Clinic aren't clear cut (the ranges overlap).

Besides the link I posted earlier, the American Dietetic Association lists black and green tea with the same amount of caffeine (http://www.eatright.org/Public/content.aspx?id=10642&terms=tea).

This site also had a fairly thorough breakdown of caffeine content in tea: http://coffeetea.about.com/od/caffeinehealth/a/Factors-Influencing-Caffeine-Levels-In-Tea.htm.

This paper goes into detail about the effects of growing techniques (e.g. harvesting times and leaf locations) on caffeine: http://www.teascience.org/pdf/vol-7-4dunamics-of-caffeine-by-alam-chowdhury.pdf

Caffeine content of a few teas in a study: http://www.elmwoodinn.com/about/caffeine.html
Also discusses caffeine content in black and green tea. An additional point to take away from this site is that teas are not all the same; there are weak and strong varieties of green, white, and black teas.


Concerning my claim on how black teas are typically brewed: this is common knowledge...do you drink tea? Black tea is typically brewed for 4-5 minutes with near boiling water, while green/white tea is brewed much cooler for 2-3 minutes.


And why this all matters? Because it's misinformation. Moreover, the OP stated that he had not enjoyed the flavor of the teas he had previously tried--limiting his options to a single category of tea will reduce the chances of finding something enjoyable.

And finally, matcha (made from green tea) can be made stronger than any other variety since its basically concentrated. So if the OP really liked green tea, needed an excessive amount of caffeine, and was willing to spend significantly more money, he could go that route.
post #21 of 24
Thread Starter 
Ok science nerds, I got a question for you: I was reading that the caffeine content of teas are released within the first 20-30 seconds. But, once that "dose" has been released, is there any more in there? For instance, if I brew a tea bag and get the caf out, is there any left if I make another cup?
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

Ok science nerds, I got a question for you: I was reading that the caffeine content of teas are released within the first 20-30 seconds. But, once that "dose" has been released, is there any more in there? For instance, if I brew a tea bag and get the caf out, is there any left if I make another cup?

According to the last link I posted above, you'll retain about half the caffeine.

I wouldn't recommend it since you lose a lot of the flavor the second time around, unless you are using very strong tea.

If you buy loose leaf tea, its pretty inexpensive. Even the higher quality stuff will run you 10-20 cents a cup.
post #23 of 24
Besides using loose leaf, does anyone have any other recommendations to make tea more fragrant/rich tasting? I'm used to the tasteless watery tea created by tea bags, but recall drinking here and there teas (maybe earl gray) whose taste lasted a very long time in the mouth, with lots of different tones.
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

I think you mean steep. But are you suggesting the Mayo clinic is wrong? Why would they lie to us?
Read the table again — it clearly states that an average cup of green tea has more caffeine in it than the same cup of black tea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_drizzle View Post

They aren't lying, they simply didn't provide a complete explanation.
Black teas are typically brewed for 5 minutes, in hotter water, and often with more tea leaves...thus the end result typically has more caffeine.
If you brewed green and white teas the same, you would produce a cup with an equivalent amount of caffeine.
The point is that there is nothing inherent in black tea that makes it stronger.
There are certain types of leaves that are inherently stronger, but that is from how it is grown/harvested rather than oxidation.
Well, apart from the simple fact that you would not want to drink just about any high end black tea with an infusion of minutes or more, there is this: Black tea is basically the same tea as white or green, but is rolled/oxidized more, so if it is made properly, more caffeine will make its way from the leaves into the water. The rest of your statement is basically useless because we can go on forever argumenting caffeine amounts in teas with different amounts of leaves in a cup, obviously. Longer brewing times don't affect the amount of caffeine in a cup, by the way (given you extract longer than about 20 seconds). What does change, however, is he amount of tannins solved in whiter and thus the perception of the overall amount of caffeine. The effect is equal, though.

Rambo, because black tea has a broken up leaf structure, most of the caffeine is being extracted with the first cup. Green and white teas of high quality can be used several times. Having said that: Do you really, physically, need the caffeine in your tea? If not, you might want to consider a mint tea which has a similar, refreshing effect but gives you the freedom of enjoying as much of it as you want. Be careful with spearmint, however, because it isn't really good for your stomach in high doses. Low menthol plants as apple mint are healthier.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Teas with caffeine in them