or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › ....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

....

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Thanks
Edited by aj_del - 12/14/11 at 9:13pm
post #2 of 22
reconsider white font on white picture

also reconsider annoying slideshow
post #3 of 22
Thread Starter 
Thanks for your comments

Can't change the text color, so will have darker pics so that the text can be seen.

You don't like the sideshow concept or you don't like it because of he current pictures ?
post #4 of 22
the concept. i dont think its necessary although if you really liked it i would at least get rid of the white progress bar on the bottom. its kind of annoying/headache inducing.

i like the site very much tho.

some other things i thought of were

the blog page needs work. columns is ok, but right now the format is way too squashed. maybe fewer columns. search bar, tags, and organization by date might help once you have lots of content going.
maybe contact shouldnt have its own page, but instead be constantly on the left side. at least put quick contact info on the side as i think that's the most pressing reason why people would use your site.


anyways, i really like the design very much. great job. love the font. cant compliment highly enough
post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 
Thanks again.

I have noted your suggestions and will see what can be incorporated though sadly I wouldnt be able to incorporate most of them.

This whole thing cost me 35 USD which includes free hosting for the first month. I bought a theme and put my content in it. The upside is v low cost, downside is no customization.

wife also wanted the things you suggested on the blog page but I was not able to manage it. They (tag cloud, archive etc) are there if you click an individual blog and I can add more blogging related things on individual blog page but on the general blog page which displays all blogs.

I will tinker with the code and see what can be done

Thanks
post #6 of 22
wow for 35 thats a steal
post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 
35 for the theme, 12 a month for hosting, 250 for stock image site subscription for 1 month in which you can download 25 pics a day. Alternatively, if I get rid of the slideshow, then I only 5 pics, which are 50 usd flat rate.
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBenz View Post

Check out some of the competitors' websites in the same niche or industry you are targeting to get a idea of what content you might want to put on your site.
6241.gif

+1

In addition, checked out all your content; main site collection, twitter, fb linked-in.. Its passing for a first go but you should re-think your branding &social media strategy.
post #9 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wing8tesqw View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBenz View Post

Check out some of the competitors' websites in the same niche or industry you are targeting to get a idea of what content you might want to put on your site.
6241.gif

+1

In addition, checked out all your content; main site collection, twitter, fb linked-in.. Its passing for a first go but you should re-think your branding &social media strategy.

Could you elaborate on this a bit ?

Thanks for your comment.
post #10 of 22
Pages are taking too long to load, nearly a minute, maybe because of the slideshow, also the white text on light coloured background is quite difficult to read, probably impossible for the visually impaired.

Probably very important, the front page doesn't actually tell me what you do.... I have to go clicking to find that. which is not good. People tend to be lazy, if they can't find what they need on the front page, they'll probably just hit the back-button to Google or Bing and go somewhere else.
Edited by MikeDT - 12/11/11 at 3:31am
post #11 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post

Pages are taking too long to load, nearly a minute, maybe because of the slideshow, also the white text on light coloured background is quite difficult to read, probably impossible for the visually impaired.

Probably very important, the front page doesn't actually tell me what you do.... I have to go clicking to find that. which is not good. People tend to be lazy, if they can't find what they need on the front page, they'll probably just hit the back-button to Google or Bing and go somewhere else.

A couple of images are bloated and in the final version, all images will be web optimized. Else, I will get rid of the slideshow.

I am also working of white text on light background image. If possible, I will get the color of the text changed or will use darker images in which the white text stands out.

I get your third point, will see what can be done. We are not expecting much if not any traffic from search engines. The site if for people we hand out business cards to.

Thanks for your help
post #12 of 22
not sure if you already changed the resolution of the images already, but the background images are showing on my monitor as very low quality and pixelated.

also, and i hope you don't mind my bluntness, but the profile page is unreadable. i have experience with Tech integrations (on the biz side, not the tech), and i still have a lot of difficulty understanding what the profile is saying - every sentence is jargon, which may be ok if the only people who will ever read it are programmers and architects, but to a layman excessive use of jargon is a turn-off. you explain the company's profile far better in the "services" section.

on to the good stuff - i like the basic layout, and you have a really impressive client list for only being in business for 3 months. you can put some of the more important info on the front page, like the link to register for the classes...
post #13 of 22
Are you using a template?

I am not clear what you are trying to sell.

Target your audience. Dont add bells and whistles because you think they are cool.
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

not sure if you already changed the resolution of the images already, but the background images are showing on my monitor as very low quality and pixelated.
.

Only thing is, I'm thinking if the quality of the images where increased, the site would be even slower to load. Maybe better to skip the slideshow images completely, just have a solid colour or textured background, that's not so distracting.

OP, I see you've changed the text colour on the front page, but it's still clashing with the slideshow background images, grey on grey, black on black. What information are those images meant to convey anyway? Are they relevant to your branding, products and services? They just look abstract and don't really mean anything to me.

I'm thinking a website's front-page is the most important of all, and it should have certain things

1. It should say who you are.
2. What your products and services are in clear English, NO jargon.
3. How your potential customers can get in contact with you.
4. Should be clean, professional and pleasant to look at.
5. Must be quick to load.
6. Absolutely NO flashy landing pages that people have to click-through to get to the relevant information. Websites for luxury products are often notorious for this.
Edited by MikeDT - 12/11/11 at 3:47pm
post #15 of 22
Thread Starter 
Thanks for your comments
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

not sure if you already changed the resolution of the images already, but the background images are showing on my monitor as very low quality and pixelated.
also, and i hope you don't mind my bluntness, but the profile page is unreadable. i have experience with Tech integrations (on the biz side, not the tech), and i still have a lot of difficulty understanding what the profile is saying - every sentence is jargon, which may be ok if the only people who will ever read it are programmers and architects, but to a layman excessive use of jargon is a turn-off. you explain the company's profile far better in the "services" section.
on to the good stuff - i like the basic layout, and you have a really impressive client list for only being in business for 3 months. you can put some of the more important info on the front page, like the link to register for the classes...

I appreciate the bluntness. I agree and so does my wife that the content there is pretty crappy. We shall be changing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post

Only thing is, I'm thinking if the quality of the images where increased, the site would be even slower to load. Maybe better to skip the slideshow images completely, just have a solid colour or textured background, that's not so distracting.

OP, I see you've changed the text colour on the front page, but it's still clashing with the slideshow background images, grey on grey, black on black. What information are those images meant to convey anyway? Are they relevant to your branding, products and services? They just look abstract and don't really mean anything to me.

I'm thinking a website's front-page is the most important of all, and it should have certain things
1. It should say who you are.
2. What your products and services are in clear English, NO jargon.
3. How your potential customers can get in contact with you.
4. Should be clean, professional and pleasant to look at.
5. Must be quick to load.
6. Absolutely NO flashy landing pages that people have to click-through to get to the relevant information. Websites for luxury products are often notorious for this.

Cheap hosting plus big pictures does make it slow. We are rethinking the slideshow and while we do like it, we would leave it if it makes the website unusable.

Pictures havent been decided and these are just random pictures. Hopefully, they would much better and more contextual.

We are also considering adding some content on the homepage which currently is only a menu and slideshow. I have put up a sample page, again a work in progress which has

1. Who we are
2. What we do
3. Contact
4. Blog (I know this seems irrelevant to you and me but my wife has been writing a technical blog for sometime and according to her she has some following which is very important to her )

Thanks again for your comments
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › ....