I think J was speaking more generally about how to conduct a sale on B&S, not paypal law really...
Originally Posted by j
I got this in my email from a new member and thought maybe someone who is up to date on the Paypal/B&S safety practices could give him a quick tutorial on how a proper B&S transaction is supposed to go down. It's been a while since I've sold anything and Paypal policies change from time to time, so I didn't want to give him any outdated info. Can anyone help?
So, for your new member, here are the current "rules" of B&S :
1. Please be respectful of your fellow members. Do not use profanity in these listings, and please do not sabotage any seller threads. If you have serious concerns about a seller, please email us at email@example.com.
2. We will not, as a policy, become involved in any disputes between sellers and buyers. However, please note that your participation on the forum is a privilege, not a right, and that your privileges may be revoked if there are serious, legitimate complaints about you, and especially if there are complaints from multiple members.
1. General Listing rules
You may have a maximum of 15 listings, which would allow you to potentially have a listing in every category, and have an extra listing to boot.
You may list multiple items in a listing, as long as they are all from the same category (e.g., one listing with multiple different ties). However, grouping items in a listing is not mandatory. You may list each item separately if you wish, up to your limit of 15.
You may group green ties separately from red ties, or nice suits separately from ugly suits. You may tailor your listings as you see fit. This is to enable sellers to use whatever marketing tools you feel are most effective for you.
The same goes with pictures - you may use them as you wish. Please note that if you do not use the image chooser, however, no preview picture will be visible with your listing.
We do ask that you do not list an item in more than one active listing at a time, with one exception: you may cross-list an item in both Men’s Clothing and Streetwear and Denim classifieds if you so choose.
You may engage in discussions as you like. Posts will not automatically “bump” a listing. The default “bump” period is one every 7 days. Bumps must be administered manually.
There are very affordable “premium” seller memberships that allow you to bump more frequently, and have highlighted and bolded listings. You may find descriptions of the options here.
Please refrain from any NSFW listings or pictures. They will be deleted, and you may be fined or banned.
New members must wait 45 days in order to be able to post. This is to cut down on spam and to acclimatize sellers to Styleforum’s norms. You may bypass this requirement by buying into a premium seller option.
2. Full descriptions of items should be provided in body of the listings.
3. You may provide links to your other, active listings. However, you will be expected to keep this current. Do note that if you only have a small number of listings, 5 of your active listings are posted in the sidebar.
4. You may post an item(s) with a link to its listing on Ebay or another auction site. However, no general solicitations to browse Ebay stores or any external webstores is allowed as a listing in and of itself. I.e., you can link to your webstore within a listing, but the listing cannot merely be links to “check out my latest listings in my Ebay webstore,” without item descriptions.
5. Please do not delete any information, including images or selling price, at any time, including when you close your thread. Simply choose “close thread”. If you have a multi-item listing, please merely put a highly visible “SOLD” beside the sold item.
6. Please state your terms clearly. A set price must be listed for items. You may be open to offers, but a set price must be listed regardless. If you have a multi-item listing, there must be at least one item at the price listed.
7. Please do not list any payment terms that are against the terms of service for any other website, or do anything that would make us have to phone our lawyer (because we will take down the listing, and you may be banned or fined.) For example, please do not ask for “personal payments,” from Paypal.
1. You are strongly encouraged to leave seller feedback. Please leave respectful feedback. Any feedback with profanity will be deleted. If you are not the buyer of an item, do not leave feedback. If you do so, you may be subject to serious penalties.
Please be sure to follow these simple rules, and please do not attempt to “game” the system in any way (i.e. use loopholes in the rules above to your unfair advantage.) Please remember that use of this system is a privilege, and not a right. Any abuse of the system may result in your privileges to use Styleforum to be revoked, and/or a fine of no less than $500 USD, and not more than say, $1trillion USD.
Please email any questions or concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org
For terms of protecting yourself as a seller, remember :
- You CANNOT request personal payment via PayPal on StyleForum... see rule 7 above
- For shipments valued at over $250, always use signature requirement as you will lose any paypal claim without a signature confirmation above that value
- For international shipments over $250, use Express mail as Priority mail does not have signature tracking (therefore you will lose a claim)
- 1st class shipping has no tracking (international)
- Always describe your item clearly, use measurements and clear photos, and state your terms of sale up front in your listing.
Good luck, mystery dude, with your sales.