or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meermin Mallorca Shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Meermin Mallorca Shoes - Page 663

post #9931 of 12099
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFlash View Post

I ordered a pair of black cap toe oxfords from the classic line. The leather is quite stiff and I can barely flex the single leather sole with my hands. I visited the Meermin trunk show in NYC and tried on a pair that really didn't have any of these issues. Do these shoes just need some serious breaking in? To be honest, I've never seen a pair of new shoes this stiff.
What day did you get to the trunk show? Maybe the ones you tried on were tried on by a lot of people. The shoes that I tried on at the trunk show had no issue with stiffness that I could tell though and I was there within the first hour.
post #9932 of 12099
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidGD View Post

Does anyone have a pair from the Classic Line and Linea Mestro line that could state if the Linea Mestro line is definitely worth the extra cost?

I like the fact that some of the Classic line shoes come with rubber soles for those less than desirable weather days, but if the leather isn't nearly the quality of the LM line, then I'd just stick with the LM line.

I like rubber soles as well.

 

But leather soles are easier to resole. To compromise you should go to an cobbler and ask for an rubber toppy. This is an thin rubber sole that is very very hard wearing. Vibram is an good brand of toppy.

 

The toppy is glued to the leather sole. And can be replaced every 1 to 2 years making resoling much more infrequent.

post #9933 of 12099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix View Post

Received my first pair of shoes from Meermin earlier today. Hoping they will soften up nicely when breaking them in, and I'm pretty happy with them overall... Or I was untill I found the envelope from DHL with an invoice for 89 (I live in Norway, but the odd thing about it though is that the price listen on the invoice from DHL is NOK 1 431 (currently 173), and not the NOK 1 294 (currently €156) that I paid). Which stings, but hey! New shoes!

Edit. I should add that I paid €132 for the shoes, down from €160 (less shipping) since Norway is outside of the EU.

Use fedex next time, 400 nok invoice on classic dub monks. :-)
post #9934 of 12099
I got these on eBay. They were listed as "light brown" but don't look like the light brown on the site.
post #9935 of 12099

I asked a while ago about Mos sizing. I wear an 8.5 in Rui and 9 in Hiro. Meermin recommended I wear a 9 in Mos. I guess Rui runs a bit large?

post #9936 of 12099
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanmjj View Post

I got these on eBay. They were listed as "light brown" but don't look like the light brown on the site.

From the factory second shop?

Anyhow, they look nice! :cheers:

post #9937 of 12099
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFlash View Post
 

I ordered a pair of black cap toe oxfords from the classic line. The leather is quite stiff and I can barely flex the single leather sole with my hands. I visited the Meermin trunk show in NYC and tried on a pair that really didn't have any of these issues. Do these shoes just need some serious breaking in? To be honest, I've never seen a pair of new shoes this stiff.

I got my pair of black cap toe oxfords from the classic line today. They were also very stiff, can barely flex with my hands. I also believe my left shoe is another size than the right one, couldn't fit my shoe trees in none of the shoes but there's a difference of how much that is sticking out.

I assume I'll have to contact Meermin.

post #9938 of 12099

Does anyone here have any experience with quality of the LM line vs Yanko?

post #9939 of 12099
Quote:
Originally Posted by schomin View Post
 

Does anyone here have any experience with quality of the LM line vs Yanko?


At yanko prices i would just buy from carmina. Less worries all around. Meermin is some what cheaper than both.

post #9940 of 12099
Quote:
Originally Posted by leetpuma View Post
 


At yanko prices i would just buy from carmina. Less worries all around. Meermin is some what cheaper than both.

Yeah I was looking at all three but for what I am trying to get I can't find a better deal than Meermin or Yanko. I even looked at some English shoe companies as well.

 

Currently looking at this one from Meermin: http://www.meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=1967

 

Carmina: http://www.shop.carminashoemaker.com/articulo.asp?idarticulo=4546950

 

Yanko doesn't actually have a similar shoe but I emailed and they can make one for around $375 shipped

 

I am trying to keep it under $400 which is why Carmina is hard to consider here (>$500 after shipping).

post #9941 of 12099
Quote:
Originally Posted by phphl View Post
 

 Doesn't look like the tan grained calf... Where can I find such a mid-brown double monk? :)

 

I got some from Andrew Lock (affiliate, look right), that are also made in Spain and a lovely colour. 

post #9942 of 12099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchill W View Post

What day did you get to the trunk show? Maybe the ones you tried on were tried on by a lot of people. The shoes that I tried on at the trunk show had no issue with stiffness that I could tell though and I was there within the first hour.

Yes, I totally agree; I'm sure the shoes at the trunk show had been broken in or treated beforehand.
post #9943 of 12099
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustafg View Post

I got my pair of black cap toe oxfords from the classic line today. They were also very stiff, can barely flex with my hands. I also believe my left shoe is another size than the right one, couldn't fit my shoe trees in none of the shoes but there's a difference of how much that is sticking out.


I assume I'll have to contact Meermin.

Please let me know via PM what you find out. Look, I totally get that the classic line is a budget pair of shoes, however, I was a bit surprised that I couldn't flex the single layer sole. I mean, I can flex an Allen Edmonds double sole out of the box, still needing to be broken in further, of course.
post #9944 of 12099
I discussed this a while back, but I ended up resoling my classic line loafers when the dainite soles starting splitting in the front after having them for 9 months and wearing them about 2-3 times a week.

The total cost of the resoling at the local cobbler was £45, which was very reasonable.
post #9945 of 12099

AE's don't have shanks, so they are quite easy to flex. Meermin uses steel shanks, and classic line are GYW, so they will be stiff. If you want shoes that are flexible, go blake. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meermin Mallorca Shoes